Please help me date this guitar, I believe it is 1982?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nobbie

Reaction score
Tokai Strat, Goldstar Sound, Oldies but Goldies
Black Body, White strum plate.
No serial number on headstock
6 digit Serial Number on Neck Plate - 213837.
Little sticker on back of neck saying made in Japan, at base by the neck plate
Tokai is written in script
Bridge says Final Prospec
I'm pretty sure everything on it looks original (volume and tone buttons have yellowed)

Couldn't find the Catalog page mentioned here to try to find out more myself, so appreciate anyone's input.

Many thanks.

Thanks for the quick reply.

There are some pictures I've loaded to Flickr here;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nolanphil/sets/72157622465613248/

Cheers

nobbie said:
Thanks for the quick reply.

There are some pictures I've loaded to Flickr here;

Cheers

Thanks... it's actually a late 83 or 84 Goldstar (go to the dating and ID section of the forum and have a peek) with the correct headstock and transitional logo.

Juding from the tuners, probably an ST42 or equivalent.

Nice guitar

Looks like a 1984/5 to me. What pickups have you got in it?

The earlier Springy Sound ST-42 had grey-bottom pickups marked U. I think the Goldstars with those tuners had ceramic bar magnet pickups in the TST-42 and grey-bottom pickups in the TST-48.

It has the grey backed pickups installed.

I've added pictures to Flickr

I was thinking of switching them for the Fender Vintage Noiseless. Anyone got good experience with these?

nobbie said:
It has the grey backed pickups installed.

I've added pictures to Flickr

I was thinking of switching them for the Fender Vintage Noiseless. Anyone got good experience with these?

As mirrorboy stated, your p'ups have the ceramic bar magnets. There certainly are better Alnico replacements. Might as well upprade the pots and certainly, the capacitor.

thanks for the quick reply.

As I've now moved to India, there is a distinct lack of decent guitar shops around so I'd have to choose upgrades on recommendations and then have them fitted here.

Opening this up for a wide ranging debate on which are best pick-ups, also what should I be ordering for Pots etc?

Thanks all.
:D

Hi nobbie, what kind of music do you play? Your original ceramic pickups aren't too bad if you play 'metal'.

mirrorboy said:
Hi nobbie, what kind of music do you play? Your original ceramic pickups aren't too bad if you play 'metal'.

Good point. Nobody here can suggest the "right" pickups for you, it depends entirely on your musical tastes, the amp you'll be using it with, etc. etc. We all have our own ideas about what makes the perfect pickup. Try Harmony Central for reviews of different pickups. Or keep the originals if you prefer a slightly edgier & more raucous tone.

If they still work well, I would leave the original pots, they should still be fine after 25 years of use. Personally I would put a .022 capacitor in it, something like an Orange Drop would be a cheap but worthwhile upgrade.

It's a Goldstar ST40 (not 42) and it could be from late 1983 up till the late 80s some time (depending on where in the world it was bought - this is why we ask all new members to add their location to their profile), though probably it's from 1984 or 85. Goldstar serial numbers don't indicate year of manufacture, unfortunately. Should be nice - enjoy. 8)

Mike

Thanks, I (try to!) play a wide variety of stuff but like a warmer softer sound for the blues mainly. I can use my effects to alter specific sounds.

I actually got the guitar about 8 years ago, from Nottingham in the UK and only recently picked it up again, which is a real shame, but glad I did.

I use a Marshall Valvestate amp

I'd look at changing the amp before you spend money on pickups. Tons of choice out there now that will widdle all over the valvestate for not much dosh!

:roll: sorry guys but "alanN" called me "fxxkin mental" yesterday when i was fighting alone hard for the justice and when i didnt say nothing to him. "fxxkin mental".....thats what "alanN" called me suddenly when mike says he is a fair gay. i am fine with all the jokes but saying something like that unfairly is just so low and horrible. so i had to fight back just for once more here. at least for a minimum amount of the justice we should/must have. dont delate this message of mine here ozeman. my least message for the justice. sorry guys. i dont do rude anymore so easily. done the justice quite a lot here already so i am cool and ok. anyways its october now and guess the autumn is coming to everyone soon. have a good one, cool or warm in wherever you are. gday! ......joe good-*******. 8)

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14612&start=30

:wink: a funny guy i found on the news the other day......

2415541-fr.jpg

Latest posts

Back