TST100 help please - It's all mine, And the nitro verdict...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinhotrod

Reaction score
Hiya all, I may be able to pick up another Tokai strat through the guy who I just got my Springy from.

All I know that it is a TST100 strat. Am I right in thinking the "TST" was only made untill 84?

I am waiting for some more details. Its being offered at slightly more money than ST50 money. Looking kinda like the bargain. Will wait and see.

Whats the difference from an ST80? Is it just the gold hardware?

Colin

Got the guitar this evening, its a very dark green colour, TG? anyone idea what that colour code is.

Volume pot was knackered and so changed, looks as if middle pup has been changed to a "U" pup. No idea what the bridge and neck pups are. No nasty routing inside the cavity. It has been well used but it looks and feels gorgeous. And even better it still has the "100" sticker.

Has anyone any idea what year it could be?

Got it for what I think is a snip. I have no idea what true value is as i never see these up for sale.

P1030938Medium.jpg

P1030940Medium.jpg

P1030941Medium.jpg

P1030942Medium.jpg

P1030943Medium.jpg

P1030947Medium.jpg

P1030948Medium.jpg

I think it`s an 83.the bridge saddles are from a springy no final pro spec.and the logo is the first goldie decal " made in japan by rock" etc in stead of The quality musical instruments of"The black bottomed pickups may be the seldom seen Di Marzios, no doubt Greco Burst will have some info on that..Interestingly the st100 in the 84 catalogue is supposed to have a different bridge.the finish should be nitro by the way.Gabe.

Hi guys..
TST-100, I don't think so, because,
The guitar have many changes to it, it does however look to have plate and saddles from a Springy Sound ST-100 from 1981 or earlier due to TOKAI stamping and not 1982 onwards final prospec.
The pickups in the middle is a Tokai ST Vintage U stamp with cloth wires, and the bridge and neck with black back plate and thin wires, I don't think are VS-1's, but they just may well be. Especially if body etc is Nitro finish.
A TST-80 with maple have nitro and V neck and DiMarzio VS-1's, 2 piece body, I would suggest a 100 would have one piece body ? etc...
I have never ever seen TST-100 maple or rosewood. I know that TST-80 maple or rosewood is also very rare.
I am certain the rosewood versions have a softer neck profile for both TST-80 and TST-100...

I just don't think yours is TST100 :cry: because of many changes, that is all 8)...too many ums and ahs for me. sorry.

Well its probably an 80 then, almost positive its nitro, both neck and body has the nitro aging cracks.

The more I look at the body on the front it does look like a 2 piece body.

Any other things I should be looking out for? ways to tell?

I'm not sure it needs to crack to be nitro. My 1980 ST80 has no cracks in the nitro, whereas newer US Fenders do - Tokai's nitro seems to be a bit different.

Does the sticker definitely say 100? I can't read it in the pic you posted. Is it a V neck?

I've never heard of TG as a colour before - it would be interesting to see it alongside one in MG, like my former ST55.

goldstarB.jpg

Mike

100% its a 100 sticker. its got the thicker neck, not like my sunburst st50 so im assuming thats the V neck.

Its a very dark green that almost looks blackish under artificial light.

Some more pics.

P1030950Medium.jpg

P1030951Medium.jpg

P1030955Medium.jpg

P1030959Medium.jpg

P1030960Medium.jpg

Think I need to do the nitro test on it but I would bet my house on it that it is.

The middle pup has been has been removed and replaced by a "U" pup.

The volume pot is not original and as stated before the bridge is not original. Will be home in a few days to do the nitro test.

colinhotrod said:
The middle pup has been has been removed and replaced by a "U" pup.

The volume pot is not original and as stated before the bridge is not original. Will be home in a few days to do the nitro test.

I really hope it is nitro! 8) , .... and a TST-100.... 8) ....it just may well be!

Hiya COLINHOTROD.
What is the weather like on the east nook looks kinda sunny from those pictures 8) got my fingers crossed it is nitro and an st-100 for ya!

Spill the beans? come on, we all want to know how much you paid,because i reckon you got a real bargain, if it is a real st-100.WELL DONE!
Guitars like yours do not crop up that often,not common is what i mean?
Can not miss the times when they do.Anyway ENJOY!!!

MOJO HOBO

FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE OR A FOOL?

Put is this way its an amazing bargain either way. think of what a fair ST50 goes for.Picked it up for less that you would one of those on ebay.

In Winnipeg just now, getting home this weekend.should find out sometime next week when I get my hands on some acetone.

I may spill the beans at at later date on the price.

Colin

Got some acetone through the post today and was eager to check and see if the guitar is nitro or not.

The verdict is that it IS nitro, both body and neck, woo hoo. always thought so but nice to have conformation.

It would be nice to change back the middle pup and bridge back to original but they will be rarer than hens teeth to get hold of. Still over the moon with the purchase.

Colin

Does rather make me wonder about the importance of the nitro/non-nitro question if the only way you can reliably tell is to wipe it with acetone? :-?

Back