A couple of questions about some '85s.

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ziess

Reaction score
Hey, in the spirit of my previous threads asking lots of questions about guitars I see, I've tracked down these two '85 Love Rocks.
Both are TLS models from the headstock shape, I think the flamed on is a TLS-60 and the plaintop is a TLS-50 (though I may be wrong, this is all gleaned info.).

Any thoughts? They're both available at around ?500 (which is my budget) in the UK so I just thought I'd see what some of you guys had to say.
The flamed one is obviously a bit more ragged around the edges than the plaintop (which appears to be in perfect condition). As far as I'm aware there are no changed parts on either barring the Grovers added to the flamed one. The pickups in the flamed one are both Gotohs. I'm as-of-yet unsure about the plaintop.

Flametop (TLS-60?);

xTokaiLoveRock502695301.jpg

More at http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i250/ytomk/tokai/mm

Plaintop (TLS-50?);

TLP17.jpg

More at http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i250/ytomk/tokai/br/

Thanks again guys,
Tommy.

the one with fret edge binding would probably be a tls80,
it looks similar my 1985 tls80 but mine has tokai 57 pafs and not gotohs
1985TokaiTLS-809.jpg

I'd say it was an LS80 as well...how many pieces is the back?
LS80 is two piece and my LS80 from '85 also had the '57 PAF pups...of course..it has a set of EMG now :D

Play them both, if you can. Your eyes will lie, but your fingers and ears know the truth. Frets, fret life, neck issues, intonation, etc.

But, all things being equal, I would take the LS80 over the LS50. I invariably change p/ups around until I get the sound that I want, so original or non-original p/ups wouldn't affect my choice.

xTokaiLoveRock502695302a.jpg

Looks, like a two-piece back.
Bearing all this in mind, would that sound like a fair price for the flametop?

Thanks for your help guys (and thanks for the pics billysamboy1, nice guitar!).

Tommy.

Personally i would buy the LS-80, it even has fret edge binding. Forum member Ozeshin has a ls-80 from 1985 and i can tell you first hand it is a sweet sounding guitar. I am fussy as hell with what i buy and i would buy that one in a heartbeat. I also prefer the finish on the flame top.
You could always buy both, try them, then sell the one you like least... :p

Mick

I think they are both crap. You should walk away from them. By the way, where are they , can I get the phone number, and do they ship to the US? :p

I have an LS50 and even though its the lowest, it is the best Les I have ever played. Though I'd bet the 80 would resell better. Good luck!

Yes, the more I think about it the more I should just buy that TLS-80...
Well, I got paid yesterday so it should be in my bank account by Tuesday.......

Latest posts

Back