The saddest Tokai i ever did see...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jockai

Reaction score
So there it was.... hanging in Dannys fashion and furniture shop...

it's a strat and it says "Tokai Goldstar Sound".... on the head ......maple neck.......

and then i look down and see the body....painted ........yes painted...... in brown gloss paint !!!!!.....

i ask the dude behind the desk "is that the original colour" and he says "yes" .....

so i scratch the paint .....to reveal mettalic Gold .....

i say "look it's Gold underneath"....and it's a Tokai ....he looks at me blankly and says

"it's a hundred and eighty quid"....

"would you take 150"......"no 180" he says.......

so i paid up and rescued the poor dog!!....

....i've handed it over to my old man (who's just retired)...and he's carefully stripping it back

to it's former glory .....it's quite a job ......while we're doing that.... could you boffins help me figure out exactly

what it is ...Goldstar sound ...sticker says...(55)....no.19124...ie Age... value ...etc?

i have enough guitars..... and think i'll probably put this into an auction for charity as it's probably not good

enough to sell ...given it's history....thanks.....

If it says 55, it's a Goldstar ST55, a custom colour ST50, which is right if it's GM - there should be a colour code in the control cavity, if it hasn't been painted over. Some pics would be nice though, so we can see what we're talking about.

Mike

redstratblues said:
i have enough guitars..... and think i'll probably put this into an auction for charity as it's probably not good

enough to sell ...given it's history....thanks.....

I wouldn't be so sure about that - let us see it & we'll tell you.

it's only when you start do do this... you realise how well they're finished

...underneath one layer of varnish and gold laquer they're silver!! ....and

then more laquer ...then wood.. and probably many layers of each in

between .....trouble is the cavitys will always be brown

gloss because it's been sprayed....that's why it'll be difficult to sell on...

....if this guitar don't know the blues then i give up ha ha!!!

8) well u make him a happy bluesman now .......

show us som good pics when he is reborn old !!!!!

Back