Why does my 1985 love rock has a dimple on the headstock?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justpickin

Reaction score
In the middle of the open book headstock there's a dimple..I see other that came after, and they don't have it....Can anyone explain...

I think they where. Can anybody explain further the contrary

Check this out... http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww313/justpickin_photos/

Can you post bigger pictures?

Also, what's the serial? Can you post a pic of the back of the headstock, and a closer pic of the front of the headstock?

AlanN said:
Can you post bigger pictures?

Also, what's the serial? Can you post a pic of the back of the headstock, and a closer pic of the front of the headstock?

I will when I get home. Thank you again for your replys...

Once again, dimples were put on the headstocks of export guitars for copyright reasons. If yours has a dimple, then that's why. If it's an 85 as you say, go to the catalog section and have a peek there.

In a prior post about your guitar, you wanted to know if you paid too much and again asked about the dimple.

If you want us to help identify what you have, then you need to provide the following pictures. Without them, it will be as frustrating to you as it is for those who are trying to help:

Front and back of headstock
Front and back of body
Underside of pickups
Body cavities and any markings after the pickups are out

marcusnieman said:
Once again, dimples were put on the headstocks of export guitars for copyright reasons. If yours has a dimple, then that's why. If it's an 85 as you say, go to the catalog section and have a peek there.

In a prior post about your guitar, you wanted to know if you paid too much and again asked about the dimple.

If you want us to help identify what you have, then you need to provide the following pictures. Without them, it will be as frustrating to you as it is for those who are trying to help:

Front and back of headstock
Front and back of body
Underside of pickups
Body cavities and any markings after the pickups are out

OK. Will do. Pics provided momentarily. Thanks again

Cool....that'll help us all see what you see and hopefully let you know what you have. If you paid a grand for an 85 LS, depending on exactly what it was, probably not bad. It's just the dimple that's throwing me off.

Interesting, The fender style guitars had a headstock change around this time but i have never seen a "dimpled" 1985 Love rock. I was under the impression they started much later.

Mick

8) we all know today that the recent uk edition tokais have a dimple
but i think i remember sure that the american market edition guitars
basically all had a dimple around 1984. or from 1984. when tokai really
seemed to be expanding their sales everywhere after the 1978-1982
vintage replica golden years. i saw them w/dimple in the tokai american
catalogs from the mid 80s. not super sure but almost sure. that good
catalog site called vint-axe?..............j

http://www.vintaxe.com/menu_catalogs_electric.htm

8)

leadguitar_323 said:
Interesting, The fender style guitars had a headstock change around this time but i have never seen a "dimpled" 1985 Love rock. I was under the impression they started much later.

Mick
But remember Mick...us Aussies have NEVER had to suffer the dimple.
For as long as we've had Tokai..and right up til today we STILL don't have the dimple on our guitars.
Obviously the long legal arm of G***** doesn't reach so far...mind you ...any more articles like the one in Australian Guitarist drwing attention to the brand may cause us some trouble down the track. :p

TOKAI JOE said:
8) we all know today that the recent uk edition tokais have a dimple
but i think i remember sure that the american market edition guitars
basically all had a dimple around 1984. or from 1984. when tokai really
seemed to be expanding their sales everywhere after the 1978-1982
vintage replica golden years. i saw them w/dimple in the tokai american
catalogs from the mid 80s. not super sure but almost sure. that good
catalog site called vint-axe?..............j

http://www.vintaxe.com/menu_catalogs_electric.htm

8)
Your right, Tokai Joe I remember them aswell ,when they were new. I own an 85' Love rock with the dimple. I got a front pic loaded to photobucket. I need to take a pic of the back of the headstock but, the serial is 5025117.
P1010147.jpg

Actually it's not a dimple, a dimple is concave. These additions are convex, so they should be referred to as a pimple. Or maybe a nipple. But not a dimple.

:wink:

Mike

Yeah, Yeah, I'm all for nipple!! I never wanted one of those headstock's, now I've gotta have one!!!

I also noticed the recent references to headstock dimples and it is technically an oxymoron as Mike has pointed out.

Pimple seems closer to the true meaning, seeing as it is undesirable to some. I think the nomenclature should have it as a 'finial', no matter how feeble, as it sits atop the apex.

Anyone else feel deja vu? This topic was discussed about 6 months ago, ending in the nipple comparison. :lol:

At least half the things we discuss here have already been discussed several times over!

Now, which model is my Love Rock....?

NWOBHM said:
Anyone else feel deja vu? This topic was discussed about 6 months ago, ending in the nipple comparison. :lol:

Let's be real. Most folks won't take the time to search. On the other hand, I have learned TONS by searching the thread histories here.

:)

Yeah, I usually just search myself, it's pretty much the same on all forums. Same questions get asked over and over. :wink:

I personaly hate the dimple, my 2003 LS75 GT has one but my 2007 LC85 does not. Been close to getting the file out a few times.

Latest posts

Back