Just bought a 1981 LS-60.... what can I expect?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LPChain

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

just bought this one, what do you think?

http://imageevent.com/chingo123/september2008/tokailoverockls60metred3581?p=0&w=4&n=1&c=4&m=-1&s=0&y=0&z=3&l=0

Can?t wait to hold it in my own hands and to check if it can take up the race with my 2000 Gary Moore Signature Les Paul.
I was looking for a player, not an collectors item. And I like the colour. :wink:

The pickups look a little bit different to this one I expected....

Greetz, LPChain

Can?t wait to hold it in my own hands and to check if it can take up the race with my 2000 Gary Moore Signature Les Paul.
I was looking for a player, not an collectors item. And I like the colour.
The LS-60 is a low end Tokai and it won't match the Gibson Gary Moore model(I owned one for a time) there are far too many minor differences.
It WILL compliment it though and make a fine backup.
And I can say I've never seen that color before :-?

Ozeshin said:
And I can say I've never seen that color before :-?

Here's another (although not an LS60):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=110287385171&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=001

and one more:

img1022largezr0.jpg

Hi guys, i wouldn't necessarily say its low end, if you compare it to todays models it would be around a "100" model or something like that, as well as being well seasoned. I think you will like it very much, and these guitars are a lot more consistent than their Gibson counterparts... :wink:

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
Hi guys, i wouldn't necessarily say its low end, if you compare it to todays models it would be around a "100" model or something like that, as well as being well seasoned. I think you will like it very much, and these guitars are a lot more consistent than their Gibson counterparts... :wink:

Mick
Compared to a Gibson Gary Moore model the LS-60 is pretty low end specs wise..more like a LP Studio in comparison.
No fret edge binding..lower output pickups than the Gibson but quality wise we all know better.

Very interesting. The Joe Walsh Pic is pretty cool.

Well, my GM Les Paul is a weapon. Really a good guitar.
Maybe I can tune the LS-60 with a Faber Bridge, other Caps & other Pickups. Therefore your opinion is very interesting for me.
Does everybody knows the pickups which are in my bought Love Rock?

Greetz!

A good guitar with good specs. It is great as a musician work guitar.

Ozeshin said:
Compared to a Gibson Gary Moore model the LS-60 is pretty low end specs wise..more like a LP Studio in comparison.
No fret edge binding..lower output pickups than the Gibson but quality wise we all know better.

What possible difference does fret edge binding make to anything? It certainly doesn't affect the sound or the feel. And pickups are easily changed.....

Mike

Meh...what do YOU care Mike....it has Gary Moore's name on it anyway :eek:
Don't make me go all Nani on you :D
I was pointing out that the specs between the 2 guitars are quite differerent

Binding or not, that`s not important for me. It should feel nice, play well & sounding good. Without fret binding, the price for refretting is much lower and the guitar stays nearly original after refretting. Sure - the GM has other specs - and a higher price. The value of the Tokai is (hopefully) great for the money. Like the GM Model was compared to the other G LPs.
Can anybody say something about the pickups of my Love Rock?

I would recommend Any 1981 TOK Les Paul-
The only thing I don't really like is the stock pickups-
If you can live with the Gotoh's fine-
I'd recommend -Dimarzio PAF's-or the Seymor Duncan's

Goto(early one) Tokai bridge puckup is good enough to achieve that classic LP sound.

OK. But aren`t the DiMarzio PAF not discontinued?

Up to this guitar, I`ve only known the ones with sticker on backside.
This one has other Gotohs.

http://imageevent.com/chingo123/september2008/tokailoverockls60metred3581?p=35&w=4&c=4&n=0&m=-1&s=0&y=0&z=3&l=0

??? :eek:

stratman323 said:
What possible difference does fret edge binding make to anything? It certainly doesn't affect the sound or the feel. And pickups are easily changed.....

Mike

It's just window dressing......an "upgrade" feature that can be added to bump it up to a PERCEIVED higher spec.......like real spoked wheels on a Corvette instead of spoke hubcaps:

CIMG0230.jpg

Obviously it has nothing to do with the tone......but a workman spent a fair amount of extra time to dress the frets with binding than to just snip off the fret wire and smooth it at the edges.

Don't start me on US cars! You know I love your music, but those cars.....

Oh dear. :-? :(

The only good Corvette is a Gretsch Corvette. :lol:

stratman323 said:
Don't start me on US cars! You know I love your music, but those cars.....

Oh dear. :-? :(

The only good Corvette is a Gretsch Corvette. :lol:

How could anyone not like a 59 Vette? Besides, I was just using the wheels as a metaphor to the binding discussion......I'd never own a Gretsch. Game on :wink:

Back