Ebay Love Rock - doesn't add up?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slowstrummer

Reaction score
Hi,

I've been reading around this site and the registry researching Tokais as I'm currently looking for something better than my cheap Legend Strat copy (which ironically with new strings and my home job on the setup sounds pretty good at the moment).

Have been keeping my eye out for Tokais' (and anything else interesting), but the ones on Ebay are very dodgy - there was one that was supposed to be a 62 model with soapbar? pickups that went for about $200 AU the other day:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RARE-Tokai-Vintage-1962-Guitar-beautiful-Soapbar-Pickup_W0QQitemZ120226144133QQihZ002QQcategoryZ33034QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
but I let it go because I couldn't find any evidence that such an animal ever existed.

Now this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=230229928340&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=013
has come up on Ebay, but nothing seems right about it. Serial number is 1101737, which as far as I can tell means that it can't be an 81 (as they should have a 0 as the second digit?). It's also black, which was a colour not offered on the LS60 in 79, but was it offered in 81?

Are my suspicions right, and it's not what it's claimed to be?

It is a bit of an odd fish, that one. It has come up a few times over the last months, with no takers.

Serial # and the volute on the neck don't gel. I'm pretty sure you could get one in black, as an LS50, not LS60, though.

I get the impression that it is just another guitar, and has nothing special to make me want to bid, after reading the description.

Hi guys, It looks alright apart from the volute.. I have never seen one with a volute either and i just compared it with my greco RR 65 and the Tokai's volute is much smaller, unusual..? Everything else looks great and it looks like a nice guitar at a reasonable price.

Mick

Same bloke has now got a silverstar up for the same money:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Tokai-Silver-Star_W0QQitemZ230230200942QQihZ013QQcategoryZ22672QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Not really looking for a strat at the moment though. This one seems to be a 1980 model by the number on the headstock under the logo?

I had to look up what a volute was :oops: , but it seems I was right about the Love Rock.... The fact that he knows exactly what a Tokai love rock is, yet the details don't quite match up is not encouraging. Any thoughts on what it actually is, with that serial number?

And out of curiousity, did anyone have a look at the claimed '62 model that I also posted up in the first post? That seemed to be even odder, I couldn't even see any evidence of it being branded... And as far as I could tell, Tokai didn't make guitars then? Was kind of interesting looking though.

I have a friend in japan looking into it for me. No set in stone rules with the Japanese, there are heaps of one offs and stuff that never appears in catalogues...i have one myself.. :wink:

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
I have a friend in japan looking into it for me. No set in stone rules with the Japanese, there are heaps of one offs and stuff that never appears in catalogues...i have one myself.. :wink:

Mick

exactly.

The first one looks highly dubious to me, & I would be very surprised if it was anything to do with Tokai. Some of the wording is misleading too - he refers to "vintage soapbar pickups", but soapbar is a generic term for the old Gibson P90 type pickup, which are great pickups, stronger & more powerful than a Strat pickup.

The things on that are NOT P90s - God knows what they are. Personally I wouldn't touch that thing - if you want a Tokai Strat, hold on for a Goldstar, or maybe a Silver Star.

Mike

if you want a Tokai Strat, hold on for a Goldstar, or maybe a Silver Star.

I'm not actually looking for a strat unless I happen to find one tucked away where the value is unknown - I already have a strat clone, which although cheap has a reasonable sound.

I'm more looking for an LP or SG for a different sound to what I have already....

That said, about 3 more Tokai's appeared today on Ebay, another strat and a couple of new ones.

leadguitar_323 said:
Hi Mike, tokai did make guitars that looked like that, they were kind of Mosrite copies...not to sure when they were made though.. :wink:

Mick

The Tokai Hummingbird was a Mosrite copy - think it was made in the late 60's. If I recall, someone has a picture of one in the photos section.

Now Eastwood guitars is making a Tokai Hummingbird copy - a knockoff of a knockoff? Amazing.

that first one is an Audition or a Kay from the early 70's isn't it?

Sold in Woolworths for years!!!

Latest posts

Back