This spambot plague ..

Site announcements and information<br>

Moderators: ian, ned

-Alan-
Guitar God

This spambot plague ..

Post by -Alan- » Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:32 am

Some of the other forums I use have reported an upsurge in fake posts by these things. Same to be becoming more of an issue here.

I can't seem to find a function to flag them to the moderators.

Is there anything telse / anything that can be done to help rid the site of the d@mn things ?

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:51 pm

Case in point..... how can this spambot johnnyjerry have 30 posts on this forum .... you can't block that domain, member, etc??

johnnyjerry1121
Power chords are my friend

New postPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:47 am Post subject: Reply with quote

Homer J. Simpson

Post by Homer J. Simpson » Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:53 pm

Cleaning up that mess will certainly be easier if people don't quote the spam links in their own posts. ;)

Looks like most of these accounts were created since June this year, so it might look worse than it really is. The schemes are either nonsense replies with embedded links (like that johnnyjerry account) or suprisingly on-topic looking replies with links or replies with quotes and links added to the quote like in this thread:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=12257

That's why I guess that it's only a few actual spammers who keep on creating these accounts. However, if it isn't already, I'm afraid this forum could be included in lists of "easy" forums within the black hat SEO circles and eventually in bot software default databases in the future. It's not only "easy", ancient forum software is making it vulnerable to pretty much everything.

Harima_San

Post by Harima_San » Thu Aug 29, 2019 3:10 pm

In France, one forum was completely destroyed after a series of such tiny looking posts.

They helped the posters to understand how the forum worked and they corrupted the forum's intergrity. The backup was not done properly by the owners and the whole thing collapsed.

Also, this is already becoming annoying for some members, to have to swim through this obvious junk to come to their right answers. Maybe a forum subscription freeze would make them go away. Another thing I witnessed and I found interesting, was a forum, where you couldn't post links, images or whatsoever until you reached a certain amount of posts. If your posts where reported during this time, your account was erased and your machine IP banned. It helped to police the forum a LOT.

ned
Guitar God

Post by ned » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:30 pm

I think I got most of it.

Will upgrade the forum this weekend and put some serious anti spam software in place.

ned
Guitar God

Re: This spambot plague ..

Post by ned » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:50 am

So if you haven't noticed :)

The forum is updated along with really good anti spam software which costs extra. If you have problems registering or posting please email me via the board and I can make adjustments to the spam software.

Thanks for being patient with me on this issue.

Homer J. Simpson

Post by Homer J. Simpson » Sun Sep 01, 2019 6:14 pm

Thanks a lot, Ned, much appreciated!

brokentoes
Guitar God

Post by brokentoes » Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:05 pm

Thanks to all who contributed to get this site up and running again and the owner for having it.

Things look really nice, i like the new setup.

Keep up the great progress.

ned
Guitar God

Post by ned » Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:14 pm

Thanks!!!! Sorry it took so long to get this done.

Looks like the spam software relaxed some of it's settings so instead of having to white list people there are some spammers getting through. I will continue to fine tune the software to keep them out.

mdvineng
Guitar God

Post by mdvineng » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:19 pm

Cheers, better late than never :D
Tokai VSB80 OF, Michael Kelly Patriot custom, Epiphone Elite SG & EB3. 8)