New Goldstars - would you buy one?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Goldstar - Hit or Miss?

• Hit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Miss

• Ask me in a couple of years.....

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A

Anonymous

It seems that the new design of Goldstars are in stock @ ?400:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370013383333&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

Would anyone buy one? I'm afraid I wouldn't - the Strat design ceases to be a masterpiece once you tamper with it, IMHO, & the scratchplate is very strange.

So what's the view? Would anyone choose one of these over a new, Tokai made, Japanese Fender Strat?

Mike

Tokai might be good at copying other peoples guitars, but when it comes to original, or in this case semi-original designs they dont seem to have a clue!

That thing is ugly! It's difficult to take the classic strat design, modify it to get round copyright law and still have good looking guitar, but it doesnt even look like they've tried.

I would definetely take a new Japanese Fender over that!

They tried to bring those into Australia a few months back but the dealer's wouldn't touch them.

I like it - a lot. It is difficult to revise a classic but I think they've done a pretty good job - looks a little like an Anderson.

Has the S100 tag any significance re the price in Yen?

Now that is just fricken funny !!!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370013383333&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

Big Willie Style said:
Do you think it'd be possible to simply drill and add a classic pickguard to the guitar? That'd solve that problem!

Jason

Buying a proper Strat would solve the "problem". :lol: I would be amazed if a Strat scratchplate fitted - they have changed so many other details that they are bound to have changed that as well.

Okay we all know that the Strat and the Les Paul both are THE design icons of the 20th century. Their timeless design will last forever and probably will never be surpassed.
But I must admit that the headstock design of this guitar is the first alternative design that really pleases me and looks pretty good in it?s own way. And by replacing the pickguard (if the holes fit, anyone knows?) I'm pretty sure you will have a hell of a player as with all Japanese Tokai's...
Herbert

And honestly the pickguard doesn't look too bad either, especially on the red goldstar with the maple fretboard at Richtone it looks pretty darn cool 8)
Herbert

settebello said:
They have a similar series in '87

Well you never see them for sale, so there are two possibilities. 1 - they are so popular that none of the people who bought them ever sell them (unlike those awful Springys, Goldies etc).

Or, 2 - nobody bought them in 87. :eek:

Any guesses which? :wink:

Perversely, having always been an LP, LP Special & Junior type - it must be the onset of some sort of crisis - I find myself wanting to add a strat-style guitar to my collection for the first time in 25 years of bad guitar playing....!!

Have any forum members actually tried these new GS100s? As my days of posing on stage are probably over, I find myself none too worried about the vagaries of the pickguard, if it is a well-made, good-sounding, guitar with the usual Tokai level of playability then I might be interested.

Alternatively, I could go for a second-hand springy or goldie - and my eye has been caught by some rather nice Bacchus vintage strats for around the ?500 mark.

Any thoughts or advice would be most welcome form the strat aficionados!

Thanks,

John.

Latest posts

Back