Now that I'm hooked, I need educating - What's best Tokai?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clay49

Reaction score
Okay...I've taken the plunge and just purchased two Tokais...one used LS-75Q and a brand new SG-75 from Hisashi. Neither guitar has made it to me yet, but I'm really looking forward to getting them and seeing what they can do!

Where do I go to get the run down on the hierarchy of Tokia Les Pauls? I've seen a plethora of model numbers over the last week as I have perused this site, but have no point of reference.

My main questions branch out of one major interest....which Tokai guitars have solid maple tops (no veneers), and nitro finishes. I love the Les Paul, but have just recently jumped off the Gibson wagon for good after owning many and never being satisfied with the quality for the price....but I do like a well-made guitar with a great top (either plain maple or tiger flame) and the laquer finishes (which, IMO, allow the wood to breathe and affect the sound).

Can you guys help a new guy get a handle on what is the "upper end" of Tokia...both in vintage models and in the new ones being manufactured today?

Thanks! 8)

Can you guys help a new guy get a handle on what is the "upper end" of Tokia ... in the new ones being manufactured today

LS 450, I guess - formerly LS380 ...

... in vintage models ...

Take a look at Tokai Registry ... the catalogs ...

Roger

Hi!
Just one thing to say:

You can even get a LS75 which is a great guitar, don?t matters if it?s a three or two piece body.

I don?t mind bout the numbers! If the two pieces are "good pieces" it can be a top of the line guitar. Change a few parts and the pickups and you?ll be done!

What?s better: One gig T-bone steak, or two smaller filets?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

good on ya, mates: "ACY"

ACY said:
What?s better: One gig T-bone steak, or two smaller filets?

I would say ... it depends on what I prefer at the moment ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roger
BTW - I'm hungry ... I would choose both of them ... one after the other ... 8)

I don?t mind bout the numbers! If the two pieces are "good pieces" it can be a top of the line guitar. Change a few parts and the pickups and you?ll be done!
I agree.
My LS80 from 1985 looks like a LS120 or better...so much so that it took me almost as long as I've owned it to nail down the exact model number...simply because quality and feel-wise there's very little difference across the MiJ range.
Yes...the construction methods vary from model to model and the LS75Q isn't at the top of the food chain...but I've played one(a brownish quilt)and it's non too shabby.

Hi clay49!

Why don't you play the "tree of life"? 8)

You can do it on any guitar of course. However, if you play it on a good Tokai (be it LS75, 320, 380, 4xx) it might become green.

Cheers! Rup

Latest posts

Back