Import taxes from Japan...what do they run?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clay49

Reaction score
This is a follow up to a thread that did not yield an answer....what to import taxes run on guitar purchased in Japan and shipped to the U.S.

I'm considering buying a couple of these, but I want to know what to expect in customs taxes once it gets to me...BEFORE I BUY!

Thanks for any response from those who've paid.... :eek:

Hi I would give Fed Ex a call, in the UK I PAID LOCAL TAX OF 17.5% AND A 3% DUTY CHARGE.
So what ever your local sales tax is and a duty charge and do not forget you will get 5% of the sale price in Japan for exporting hope this helps

I would have replied to your other post. Holidays and gigs take up time.

I paid $84.80 US for 1 guitar to Waukegan, Il. Does it double for 2?? I'll let the experts here answer that.

Chico 8)

Thanks, Chico...is there a set percetage for imports from Japan, like 4.5% or 3.7%, or does it vary?

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for your guitar? I'm assuming there is a set % that US Customs would charge per item.

Thanks for your help!

Clay :wink:

From Hisashi:

$649.00 US for the Snow White SG-75 (worth every penny)

$120.00 US for shipping from Japan (best packing and fastest shipping I've ever experienced...worth it!)

$84.80 US for customs/import tax (a newly realized fact of life...may or may not affect you)

I'm in my 39th year of playing guitar. These Tokais are a super buy and the quality is great. I have 3 now (wow). Take the plunge...you'll be happy!

Chico...thanks again for your assistance.

What other Tokai rigs do you own? I'm chasing the LS-75Q that is currently on e-bay....rootbeer quilt. It's been modified, etc...do you think it's worth $800, or should I go in another direction?

What I'd like is a Les Paul and an SG. Hisashi is also carring those Bacchus Les Pauls with nitro finish...which gets my attention...and they are running around $1,250....do you know anything about those? Would a Tokai LP be just as good?

I've got mint condition Gibson Gary Moore Signature Les Paul, that is beautiful, but I'm thinking I could unload that and get a couple of Tokai's with different pickup configurations and enjoy them as much if not more than the GM signature...I'd be interested in your thoughts....

It's not that I can't afford Gibsons, I can, and do have several, but I'm tired of them and if I can get the same (or better results) out of these Tokai's...then I'd rather spend my money on other things and possbily expand my amp collection....

Clay 8)

Clay,

I have presently:

LS-85VF
LS-75 Black
SG-75 Snow White (Polar White)

Both LS guitars I purchased used. The 85VF was as mear mint as you could get...the 75 had seen better days. Both play very nice. You already know how I feel about the SG-75.

Luck of the draw is what ebay is all about. How lucky are you? Send Hisashi an email he may be able to get you a new LS-75 or 85/90 depending on the current currency exchange.

As far as the Bacchus...I have no knowledge of them. They seem to be well built and beautiful.

SG and LPs share simular PU configurations. Maybe your looking for a Strat or Tele?

Chico 8)

Great stuff....thanks for all your help. I think I'm going to go ahead and snag an SG-75, and if I win the LS-75Q on ebay, I'll let you know my thoughts on that as well... :D

clay, if you import into the US, you may or may not be assessed a duty

if a duty is charged, you will see a 'Mail Entry' form affixed to your package, which will be COD.
they will charge a Postal Fee of $5.35 and a Customs Processing Fee of $5.50, for a total of $10.85

The actual duty rates I have been charged run from 4.5% to 8.7%

All of my guitars have O'Hare International as the Customs POE, and I usually get pegged on 9 of 10 shipments

Hopefully since you're in AL, maybe you won't get hit so often, or at all

Good luck................

Sorry for the hijack but Chico and Clay, did you order yours with a hard case? I see on the auction that it comes with a gigbag. Chico, how was the packaging? Thanks

J (thinking about grabbing one myself... er, SG that is :lol: )

Big Willie Style said:
Sorry for the hijack but Chico and Clay, did you order yours with a hard case? I see on the auction that it comes with a gigbag. Chico, how was the packaging? Thanks

J (thinking about grabbing one myself... er, SG that is :lol: )

Excellent packing! The SG-75 arrived without issue. A beautiful addition to my guitar collection.

Chico 8)

Big Willie...I did not order a case....I figured that I would get an SG case off e-bay, either a Gibson or TKL...that would be the cheaper route, I believe....

Caly :-?

Diamond said:
There should be no import duty into the States.

I whole heartedly agree but that does not change the fact the the law requires Customs duties.

It also does not change the fact that when imports are coming through certain POE, that Customs duties are being assessed, and that they are even being inflated by Customs officials.

I recently sent a protest to US Customs for a duty that I was assessed, in which the Customs people charged me duty based on a 70% increase in the actual value of the item.

If I do not recieve a positive response from Customs, I will be writing to several members of the the US Senate, & the US House, in more than one state.

Diamond said:
There should be no import duty into the States.

Ha ha ha ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

As long as there are some people at the top of the state chewing every weekend about sources to finance the state's expenses there are people trying to evade payment of duties and taxes ... :D
In Germany we have to pay 23% on retail price PLUS shipping currently ...
So - why bothering about those small amounts ... 8)

BTW - NO offence please ... just my 2 cents ...

Roger

A little off topic, but for those that have been hit with import tax how long did customs hold your guitars for?

( on the strength of the support for Hisashi on this forum I felt obliged to order a goldtop from him, apparently there's some festive event called "Xmas" that could slow down the shipping, as well as Dutch customs putting my new baby in "retention" according to the shipping tracer )

skalie said:
A little off topic, but for those that have been hit with import tax how long did customs hold your guitars for?

I can't complain ... I've got my stuff within 4 days ( delivery at my door ) to 10 days ( personal pickup at the local Customs ) ... but you have to hold the amount for duties ready ... cash ... otherwise they'll give you a deadline ( 7 days ) while you have to pick up your item before they'll send it back ... 8)

German thoroughness !! :roll:

Roger

tudor said:
German thoroughness !! :roll:
Roger

Well there are one or two Germans in the US, but it seems that our American cousins often get away with paying nothing at all. :lol:

Mike

Back