Just got this one home ( Tokai PRS copy )...

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skalie

Reaction score
... and have barely managed to put it down to make a few pics.

Apparently she is Japanese, serial number 0408***, can't really decribe the colour as it changes all the time from very dark almost black to sometimes dark blue, and even purple.

upright.jpg

bed2.jpg

reflect2.jpg

Really must learn how to take a decent photo.

Any info over this baby much appreciated.

I think that there's far less point in buying a PRS copy than a Gibson copy, when PRS has (in my opinion) fairly affordable products and amazing quality control to go with it. That's just my view though, don't let it stop you from enjoying a new guitar.

coolcustomer31 said:
I miss the birds on this but other than that it looks great. Hope you enjoy it.

How about this then for ?120 ( pic below ). Three of my students have them and I must say, they are pretty good value for the money. Finish is spot on, sounds good, neck is really nice and the inlays have no filler :eek:

Plus they have Grover tuners and a Wilkinson VS50 bridge !

180202_large.jpg

After extensive googling it looks like she's a PR48, which means she's probably Korean, and that I, er, paid the same price secondhand as they appear to be going for new on the internet. ( 400 quid ).

... funnily enough I was in the music store at the time intending to buy a Gibson copy, a new Goldtop with P90's, but I just couldn't put this one down.

EDIT: Actually it says "MADE IN JAPAN" on the back of the headstock, do'h.

coolcustomer31 said:
what is that? looks great. maybe in awhile i can get one, but i just bought a new guitar this week so i have to wait.

It is a Generic PRS ( type / style ) guitar that comes out the Bejing factory in China. They make it unbranded for several suppliers here in the UK and Europe.

In Europe Thommans in Germany sell them for around ?123. The quality is very good for the price point. In the UK there is an ebay seller who buys them as kit guitars in parts and he sells them for ?230 claiming they are custom built ( LOL ! ). He calls the Boutique or something like that and spends most of his waking hours writing reviews about them on Harmony Central claiming that his are hand custom built and not the same as Thomanns sell.

They do two versions, the Blue and an Amber version for ?110.

Links here :

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_duke_100_bl.htm ( Blue ?123.00 )

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_duke_100_amb.htm ( Amber ?110.00 )

They are excellent guitars, but they not on par with a Tokai by any stretch of the imagination !

The Wilkinson VS50 trem sells for over ?50 on its own , let alone the Grover tuners.

swimrunner said:
I think that there's far less point in buying a PRS copy than a Gibson copy, when PRS has (in my opinion) fairly affordable products and amazing quality control to go with it. That's just my view though, don't let it stop you from enjoying a new guitar.
So you're obviously talking about the SE series made under license from PRS?
These are similar in build quality(and probably the same factory if I did some digging) to the OLP series made under license by Musicman/Ernie Ball.
The SE series has NOTHING remotely like a quilt top of the Tokai quality in it's range.
The nearest you can get is a halfway decent looking flame on the Singlecut series.
The quality of the Tokai is closer to the top/middle range PRS than the SE series.
Don't get me wrong...I'm not knocking the SE range...the Dan Donnegan model Singlecut is a mighty fine guitar...just saying that the Tokai build quality is closer to the middle/top range PRS than their cheaper range.

Latest posts

Back