Where was this Tokai Love Rock made?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paddydoyle

Reaction score
I just bought a maple flame top Tokai Love Rock from a guy on Ebay. Can anyone help me identify where it was made? The serial number is F0601252. Any idea what the F means? Thanks alot.

It's the usual reply again, I'm afraid. Please read:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9012

Hi all, I apologize for the lack of photos in my post. Here's a link to photobucket with pictures of the Love Rock I bought. The headstock looks like a mutant Epiphone and the back has the serial number F0601252 printed (not stamped) on it. That's all that's written. Many thanks:

http://s216.photobucket.com/albums/cc30/paddydoyle/

Looking at the photos you posted in the announcements section, it is Korean made by Tokai for the US market, if it is not a complete fake (it has been known). It has the US market headstock and horn, plus the korean made bridge (with screw adjustment), korean cream back covers, and the korean three screw truss rod cover. This looks like the same guitar that was on ebay recently, which the seller claimed was Japanese in origin, but was wrong. The wood will not be mahogany, but a cheaper wood like agathis and sycamore, with a venear top. Only the Japanese made Tokais have mahogany in them and solid flamed wood tops are also only used on some higher Japanese models.

See this other thread about the same guitar :)

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=9074

Hi guys

The seller must have a few, here is another listed on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tokai-Love-Rock-Les-Paul-AAAAA-Flame-Maple-Top-No-Res_W0QQitemZ200149285558QQihZ010QQcategoryZ38082QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hey paddydoyle, if are happy with it, keep it, but, the seller did state in the listing, (not sure if it was really your listing), that it is made in Japan, well, you sure do have an out if you choose.

Mick

He seems to be posting the same photos for each auction, too, which means it may look nothing like the one in the picure when you get it :-?

Thanks everyone. My doubts have have now been confirmed. The man I bought it from kept insisting that it was made in Japan, and if it had been then it would have been a very good deal. I don't trust Korean guitar craftmanship enough, however, to consider keeping this guitar, so I will try to get a refund from this ungentlemanly individual. You guys rock!

If you paid through PayPal, and he won't refund you, you can open a dispute that it was not what it was meant to be, i.e. japanese made. PayPal will force him to refund you. Keep all your messages between you and point him to this page ;)

paddydoyle said:
Thanks everyone. My doubts have have now been confirmed. The man I bought it from kept insisting that it was made in Japan, and if it had been then it would have been a very good deal. I don't trust Korean guitar craftmanship enough, however, to consider keeping this guitar, so I will try to get a refund from this ungentlemanly individual. You guys rock!

Ask first, buy later..... :wink:

BaggyPants said:
If you paid through PayPal, and he won't refund you, you can open a dispute that it was not what it was meant to be, i.e. japanese made. PayPal will force him to refund you. Keep all your messages between you and point him to this page ;)

I hope you're right. When I bought a Fender Mexico body that turned out to be ply, Paypal were useless. It cost me ?71 including postage, yet the most I would have been refunded was ?35, and that was only if I returned the body to the thief who sold it to me. I didn't bother.

Paypal are useless, as are eBay, so don't get your hopes up too much. Good luck, please keep us updated on what happens.

My Love Rock saga looks like it may have a happy ending. The individual who sold me the instrument in question seems to want to resolve this issue amicably, so in a very gentlemanly fashion he will accept a return. I guess the best rule would be to never buy a guitar that I can't play before I pay, but all that eye-candy on ebay is sometimes just too much for my junky heart to resist...

paddydoyle said:
My Love Rock saga looks like it may have a happy ending. The individual who sold me the instrument in question seems to want to resolve this issue amicably, so in a very gentlemanly fashion he will accept a return. I guess the best rule would be to never buy a guitar that I can't play before I pay, but all that eye-candy on ebay is sometimes just too much for my junky heart to resist...

I've bought some Tokai's on eBay and other places and have always been satisfied. But as marcusnieman says - if your not sure about a guitar ask the people on the forum first and then buy if it turns out to be what it's supposed to be. There is a lot of knowledge on the forum.

I hope you'll get your money back!

Micke

paddydoyle said:
I guess the best rule would be to never buy a guitar that I can't play before I pay, but all that eye-candy on ebay is sometimes just too much for my junky heart to resist...

It would be a shame to have to give up buying guitars on eBay because of this. Sure, you need to be careful, but I've bought some great guitars from some genuine sellers, & I'm sure most of us have. All of my favourite guitars were bought second hand.

Maybe just be a bit more wary in future, ask a few more questions, and learn more about what you're buying. It's a jungle out there, but there are some bargains, and some rare guitars out there. Congratulations on resolving your problem - I'm sure you'll find the Tokai you want if you're patient.

Latest posts

Back