Had a play around on an R9 today

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyWizz

Reaction score
Spent around 4 hours with it. Very nice. Build quality was excellent, sound and feel was pretty **** good.

Out of 10 I would give it a 9.

Same as my LS150 then :-?

I just want a burst LS150 even more now :cry:

R9s are fantastic guitars, there is no question about that.

I have a 2001 with a Darkburst/Crossroads WCR set and a RS wiring kit. It is a great sounding and playing guitar. Sometimes I get tired of the huge neck, but it is the best Les Paul I own, probably the best guitar period.

I paid $3000 used, and it is in very good shape. I don't like brand new guitars anyway, they make me nervous until they have a couple of dings in them. It's like having a new car and you want to park it in the back of the lot all of the time...

I think you can get a good R9 for a resonable price, certainly a good R8 can be had in the mid to low $2K range.

For comparison, I also have a 1982 LS100, 83 LS80 and a 1989 LP Standard. They are all great guitars and I would hesitate to make a comparision between any of them. In order of playing frequency it is probably R9 >LS80 >LS100> 89 Std. I do tend to go in streaks. I played the LS100 consistently for a couple of months not too long ago.

Latest posts

Back