Tokai SGs ???

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert1950

Reaction score
I've rarely seen any Tokai SGs. Does anyone here have one? Would you care to post pics. I love the sounds of Love Rocks and ES guitars, but my hands love SGs.

Here you go:

CIMG0929.jpg

CIMG0934.jpg

CIMG0933.jpg

CIMG0936.jpg

Hi Marcus I've never seen an SG in that colour nor with what look like p-90s. How does it sound? That is one lovely guitar. I've never had any particular desire for an SG until now. Congrats!

Ibnose said:
Hi Marcus I've never seen an SG in that colour nor with what look like p-90s. How does it sound? That is one lovely guitar. I've never had any particular desire for an SG until now. Congrats!

Thanks....it is a TV yellow SG Special with P90's with inline butter bean tuners modeled after Gibson's - which was introduced in 1961 I think.

Sounds killer - that razor thin body loaded with P90's really provides some substantial tone. Sad thing is that I haven't picked it up in about a year because I've been on a Strat jag.

Mine is an '04. It's got Fender Telecaster Ash White style paint - you can see the grain through it. I'm assuming it's a two piece body but I cannot see any joins. The paint hides them I guess. I only picked it up recently, so it must have been New Old Stock lying around somewhere.

It's a killer guitar. Very light, very resonant and quite bright sounding, yet full. I've had to play with the pickup heights/polepieces a bit but it sounds superb now. I've got a Wilkinson lightweight aluminium adjustable (B & G strings) tailpiece to fit to it at the first string change. Should make it even more killer, and a bit more in tune. The compensated wrapover is for a wound third string so the intonation is a bit out.

Do you know how many of these Tokai makes? It can't be a lot as I've only seen four:

Yours
Mine
One at Coda Music that went to a forum member buyer in the US
One on eBay at the moment

twinfan said:
Do you know how many of these Tokai makes? It can't be a lot as I've only seen four:

Yours
Mine
One at Coda Music that went to a forum member buyer in the US
One on eBay at the moment

To be honest, I don't know but like you I've seen very few of them - I don't even know what colors they came in. Not sure if it's a matter of limited production or if they are selling as soon hit the shops and people aren't re-selling them.

Perhaps Gottfried (togps) can tell us about them.

MARCUS WROTE:
Sad thing is that I haven't picked it up in about a year because I've been on a Strat jag.
I know what you mean.
I did a gig last Saturday night and normally I'd have used my love Rock all night...this time I used my strat for all but the last set when I used my Vee.

Japanese SGs in general tend to not touch the floor before they sell through. There never seems to be enough supply of these.

There are Chinese P90 SGs coming in relatively soon apparently (UK). But again there aren't going to be loads and loads from what i can gather.

Keep an eye out with your dealer!

Hey Ozeshin!
Where was your gig? Gatton, Grantham, ..............................?

:wink:

Just kiddin! My brother?s living in Toowoomba (just moved there from Grantham) and I already had a couple of beers in Toowoomba a longer while ago! I thought Toowoomba?s good place to live!

good on ya, "ACY"

I had a Japanese Tokai SG for a couple of years, late 80s I think:

TokaiSG.jpg

It was a good guitar, but I couldn't put up with the strange balance (I hate neck-heavy guitars) compared to a Strat/Tele/Les Paul/almost anything else. So I swapped it for an ESP Series 400 Strat. :p

The Tokai Sg's are great! I would buy one no worries. Im after a Telecaste type guitar riht now but an Tokai SG certainly is in the futere.

ACY said:
Hey Ozeshin!
Where was your gig? Gatton, Grantham, ..............................?

:wink:

Just kiddin! My brother?s living in Toowoomba (just moved there from Grantham) and I already had a couple of beers in Toowoomba a longer while ago! I thought Toowoomba?s good place to live!

good on ya, "ACY"
LOL...the gig was in the Imperial Hotel at Gatton :D

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Funny!

:D Ok!

Long time ago there (in Gatton) was a band announced called:

"Gold coasts Bon Jovi"!

We went to Gatton (don?t remeber whether that was Imperial Hotel too) as we did not have other plans. It was one guy with black leather pants, cowboy boots with metal tips, long hair, and an acoustic guitar. He was "Gold coasts Bon Jovi" and we needed some beer to survive the first songs. We left pretty fast and had a BBQ with icecold VB?s which was way better than that poor rocker! :wink:

So I hope your gig was better than that one! :wink:

Got a HP of your band?

"ACY"

Question for you SG owners - how's the neck on them? How would the neck compare to my LS-150 or ES-120?

I've been itching to try one of these out. Just when I thought my GAS was in remission, you guy start this thread!!! :eek:

Jason

Neck on mine (and on my Orville and Burny SG's) is very typical SG - wide across the fret board but not too deep or clubby. Very comfortable to play.

Mine is very full and rounded. Certainly fuller than a Gibson Slim Taper. However, it's very easy to play (and I don't like chubby necks).

Latest posts

Back