Question About Japanese Love Rocks

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smarty

Reaction score
I am seriously thinking about buying a new Japanese Love Rock Tokai as my first decent guitar. Basically I am wondering what are the differences between the models, i.e LS60, LS65, LS70 and LS75 etc. Is it just the finishes or is there more to it than that? I was also wondering what are the necks like on these guitars are they similar to a 50's les paul neck or the slimmer 60's neck profile? Thanks for any help.

honeyboy said:
Ever been to Baskin Robbins?

31 flavors IIRC :D I think Honeyboy's probably suggesting you asked a whole bunch of questions in your post. I've not found a comprehensive source for all that data, particularly neck contour etc. FWIW my new LS135's neck is larger than my 98 gibbie standard, and not as thick as my gibbie R6. I've gravitated toward the higher models, but several years back I owned a 56 copy with a neck that was again not quite as big as my R6. IIRC that was an LS85? I bought it in about 2003. Not sure why I sold it.... :cry:

There are more 'flavors' of Love Rocks than Baskin Robbins has of ice cream. Something for every taste.

Having been a player for over 40 years, I'm getting a little bored with the commonly-cloned 'classic' body styles. Its like an endless offering of movie sequels. Year after year, its the same thing. So what do we do about it? We 'relic' them instead of coming up with something new.

Sorry, I'm sounding like grumpy old fart today. I reckon that like a baby, I need a good poop, a good bottle and a good nap. :oops:

honeyboy, pages plexitone, simply give the guy the advice to use this wonderful search button. This forum is a huge source of Tokai know how and experience.
smarty be smart and use it. 8) These issues has been reflected 1000 times, back and forth.
If I had the time, I would provide you the threads. Sorry :(

smarty - try this link mate.....

http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/

It has most of the current japanese range on there. Japan keep changing their model numbers as they are linked roughly to the RRP in Yen.

As the model nuimbers rise, you generally get nicer woods and eventually nicer electronics/switches/brass saddles - that sort of thing.

Hope that gives you a heads up and all the best with your search for a Tokai.

guitarslinger said:
smarty - try this link mate.....

http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/

But be aware smarty, that this link provides you only a rough! overview about the present! LS models. It doesn't reflect :
  • how many piece the top
    how many piece the back
    veneer on the top,
    etc, ....
do feature each model.
So, still my advice: Use the search button.... :wink:
... You'll get more detailed info.

Thanks for the advice guys and I admit I am a noob. Just wanted a bit of info as I was going to probably buy without trying as there are no dealers close to me. I have also being toying with the idea of maybe importing an Edwards from Japan instead. Thanks again will use the search :wink:

Back