Tokai Restoration Help

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kboy

Reaction score
Hey Folks,
Brand new to this forum and need to ask some help. I've inherited a very used but playable Tokai Silver Star strat. Unfortunately the headstock decal has been scratched off. Can any one tell me where I could get a replacement decal to restore this great guitar? Thanks in advance.

Not to seem rude but can we see pics of the guitar and it's damaged transfer please?
The reason is that there is a continual spate of people faking Tokai's for financial gain.
i.e. take a crap no name brand strat and add a Tokai decal and sell it on Ebay.
Not saying that you're in this category but we have to try to protect the Tokai rep.
Cheers,
Oze

I doubt that counterfeit Gibbys or Fenders have hurt those brands very much.

Try this link. I've used his products more than once for restro work and it is top drawer. http://www.81x.com/oscarmcvittie/decals/

If you buy a low spec fake gibson or Fender then it will be pretty clear that it's NOT what it was meant to be.
If someone fakes a Tokai,people who have only heard about them but never played one may assume that Tokai are therefore inferior to Fenders and Gibsons.
I wasn't talking about hurting Tokai's market share...just their street cred via word of mouth.

Ozeshin said:
If you buy a low spec fake gibson or Fender then it will be pretty clear that it's NOT what it was meant to be.
If someone fakes a Tokai,people who have only heard about them but never played one may assume that Tokai are therefore inferior to Fenders and Gibsons.
I wasn't talking about hurting Tokai's market share...just their street cred via word of mouth.
I understand what you are saying, but it is his guitar and he can do what he wants with it.

togps said:
honeyboy said:
....I understand what you are saying, but it is his guitar and he can do what he wants with it.
..... sure, and Ozeshin may write what he wants ..
I enjoy and value Ozeshin's posts. But kboy came here as a fellow Tokai owner looking for help. Should we be questioning his motives and demanding photographic proof of ownership before helping him?

honeyboy said:
togps said:
honeyboy said:
....I understand what you are saying, but it is his guitar and he can do what he wants with it.
..... sure, and Ozeshin may write what he wants ..
I enjoy and value Ozeshin's posts. But kboy came here as a fellow Tokai owner looking for help. Should we be questioning his motives and demanding photographic proof of ownership before helping him?
We've had people in the recent past who have bought what they "thought" was a Tokai from ebay and AFTERWARDS came to the forums asking if their guitar was legit.
When it turns out that they've been stung they tend to turn nasty coz they feel like a sap.
And for the record I NEVER "demanded" to see proof...I asked politely
Not to seem rude but can we see pics of the guitar and it's damaged transfer please?
If he doesn't want to I won't start crying in my beer...but I felt I had to ask.
No biggie....I won't be looking for a high cliff anytime soon :p

It?s very courious how things change over the time.
4 years ago I saw Tokais(and Fernades and Grecos) have a faked Fender decal,and this was much regarded,everybody wanted a Fender except a few of us...Now you see...a Tokai decal is greatly regarded to restore? it.
When Peter Mac was getting info for completing his book, he and I cooperate to get info(well, he really was the info guy more than me) and I sent all I had at the time....and one Silver Star advertised in a japanese shop I asked pics was a fake,he explained me why,very subtle details I was told...

Regarding Tokai decals it?s good to have one at hand...but it?s not so good to have many lying around in not Tokai fans own,dealers specially.... :roll: .I feel you have to buy from any reputable dealer only and sometimes this people indeed can be wrong...After looking,owning and inspecting some Tokais(mostly to write my article) I think I can tell a difference but I would not be 100% sure in some cases....

I'm not trying to start a pissin' contest. I just want to help the guy. I don't care if he puts a Tokai decal on a Indonesian fake, or puts a Fender decal on a real Tokai.

I buy a lot of guitars on eBay. (12 so far this year.) I understand that it is always 'Buyer Beware' when buying that way. So I limit my spending to $600USA per purchase. That way, I really can't get hurt too badly. Only a knucklehead would buy a really high-dollar guitar without playing it first. :wink:

Only a knucklehead would buy a really high-dollar guitar without playing it first.
Read back through the post history for a complete list of knuckleheads we have encountered to date...and the worst part is if they came to us first we could have set 'em straight.
I only feel bad for someone who has their heart set on a Silver Star only to wind up with a squier with a Tokai decal....not that there's anything wrong with a Squier or anything.
I got nothing against people "faking" a guitar for their own personal use but to resell it as something that it isn't....that's another matter altogether.
Anyways...no pissin' contests...I got a bladder like a horse :p

Hi Folks,
I've been gone for business and just got back to check this post. Yikes! I didn't intend to cause a fuss. I didn't know I'd be put the Tokai Inquisition.
Ozeshon - I respect your question and am not taking offense. Quite frankly, I don't have a digital camera to send any photo proof. What's more important is I know what my intensions are and that's to restore this guitar I've been given. Not to scam someone on Ebay - by the way, I gladly invite you to check my Ebay feedback score.
Honeyboy, thanks for the tip on a possible site to obtain a proper decal for my restoration. I appreciate it greatly! I'll contact them and see what they can do. Any other ideas would be most welcomed!
Please folks no fighting. I love (and I know you all do too) guitars - lets enjoy these great pieces of craftsmanship! Hopefully I can be given additional info on these decals and not be the source of conflict. Thanks.

Ozeshin said:
Read back through the post history for a complete list of knuckleheads we have encountered to date...and the worst part is if they came to us first we could have set 'em straight.

The trouble is that there is a conflict of interests here, isn't there? Say I spot a really nice Springy on eBay UK. If I post the link on here to get you guys to check it's genuine, and it is genuine, the chances are that one or more forum members will bid against me and make it sell for a higher price.

On the other hand, if I don't ask the experts here to check it before I buy, I might buy a fake. It's a difficult decision, though not one I've faced yet. But you can see the dilemma, surely?

You always can PM anyone here who is trusted,just read his posts.I would contact javelin for sure(as well as others)...

Hello again. Guys, please remember to read my initial post. I just want to restore my guitar. That's it. There was no mention of Ebay or sales of any sort. I simply want to place a new replacement decal on my Tokai. Thank you.

Back