Loverock specs for current models

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyWizz

Reaction score
I was asked this question the other day and not being a Les Paul / Loverock person I am handing over to the experts.

Which models in the current Tokai line up of Loverocks have Solid Maple Caps ( not veeners ).

Which models have the two piece plain, flame or quilted solid maple cap.

I think they are about to buy one, but will not touch a veener with a bargepole, so please be acurate !

Otherwise he will kill me if I tell him a specific model has a solid maple cap and he finds out its a slither or wood cut from a ham slicer :oops:

All MIJ LS models do feature a solid maple cap.
LS85F features on a solid maple cap and an add. flamed veneer above
LS85Q features on a solid maple cap and an add. quilted veneer above
LS125F features on a solid maple cap and an add. flamed veneer above.
Only these 3 LS models do have a veneer.

togps said:
All MIJ LS models do feature a solid maple cap.
LS85F features on a solid maple cap and an add. flamed veneer above
LS85Q features on a solid maple cap and an add. quilted veneer above
LS125F features on a solid maple cap and an add. flamed veneer above.
Only these 3 LS models do have a veneer.

Which models have the real deal. Flamed solid cap ?

Is it the LS150 , LS1000 etc

and what is a LS150 Relic like ?

My LS1000 has a one piece Honduras mahogany body, a AAAA Canadian maple top (no veneer) and long neck tenon

...with lip :lol:

There a review of the LS1000 in the august copy of Guitar & Bass Magazine (UK)

Amo said:
My LS1000 has a one piece Honduras mahogany body, a AAAA Canadian maple top (no veneer) and long neck tenon

...with lip :lol:

There a review of the LS1000 in the august copy of Guitar & Bass Magazine (UK)

There are two LS1000's up for sale in shop local to me . Both new for ?900.

But the flame tops are useless. I have seen more flame on a dead match. They may as well be plain tops.

But then again thats why there still sitting in the window of the dealer.

The tops on the ones in Coda, where I got mine from weren't much to write home about.
I think I may have got the pick of the litter

top.jpg

...and 900 quid is 100 cheaper than I paid for mine!

Fabulous guitar though, Where else am I going to get a Les Paul with that spec, lefthanded for a grand?

Intrestingly in the Guitar & Bass mag review the they've listed the 'competion' as the Gibson' 59 VOS Standard, Hamer Studio Custom and the PRS Single Cut

Amo said:
The tops on the ones in Coda, where I got mine from weren't much to write home about.
I think I may have got the pick of the litter

Fabulous guitar though, Where else am I going to get a Les Paul with that spec, lefthanded for a grand?

I have seen Coda's one and there not the best flame in the world. I would have expected more from Tokai then that.

Compared to a Gibson the LS1000 is IMHO a much better option. Touble is I have fussy sodding students who expect a lot for less :-? ( I end up sourcing guitars for them most of the time ).

I have counted up around 12 LS1000 for sale in UK dealers and they have been there for quite a while in some case's ( oh no ! I said Case :eek: ).

Was there a demand for the LS1000 in the UK ? Perhaps the 3rd dimple put off possible people who wanted to invest in one ????????

or the fame tops on those left in dealers is poor .

Amo said:
togps said:
No Honduras!!

I'm not that bothered as long as its mahogany of some description :lol:

Are you ok with Agathis :lol: ( Often described in the UK as Mahogany , yet is one of the worse 'so called' tonewoods I have ever had the pleasure of working with )

Best known as commercial grade mahogany

I thought only the LS320s have honduras mahagony....

talking about flames.... LS230VF

IMG_1871.jpg

According to Bob@tokai its "probably Honduras"

So I dunno. maybe

Still fabulous guitars though, even if the tops aren't "bling" and the bodies are agathis and not honduras :D

So on my relatively cheap Korean LS48, can I assume that the grain on the top will be a thin veneer of maple on top of alder? Or is any of the curved top maple under the veneer?

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x153/stratman323/Tokai%20LS48%20Love%20Rock%20LP%20Cherry%20SB/119_1957.jpg

Mike

stratman323 said:
So on my relatively cheap Korean LS48, can I assume that the grain on the top will be a thin veneer of maple on top of alder? Or is any of the curved top maple under the veneer?

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x153/stratman323/Tokai%20LS48%20Love%20Rock%20LP%20Cherry%20SB/119_1957.jpg

Mike

Flamed Sycamore Laminated top. Which basically means a veener.

I would be suprised to see a flame maple cap on ANY guitar with a retail value under ?600- ?700.

All Ibanez artist series guitars up to the ?600 price point are veneer flame tops. Flamed AAA maple is not cheap in its raw state.

I quite like the LS48 tops.

als48.jpg

Back