LS85-S Goldtop (P90) owners, your thoughts please

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeye2u

Reaction score
Have GAS for one of theese Tokais
Lost out on one a few months ago

Hisashi tells me they will be back in stock in July , so I'm doing a bit of research now

Have already a few guitars but not a two pup P90

Fender Strat 96 MIJ 57 RI
Gibson Lp Jr 92 MIA
Tokai Ls70-F MIJ
Thanks guys!!

I just received an LS 85 cherry burst, 2007 model with P90s from Hisashi.
I am very pleased with the sound of the P90s, classic single coil sound, with the typical P90 bite. Compares very well to my band mates Gibson 135 with P90s. The guitar itself is right up there with my Gibson 335, and Les Paul studio, as far as fit, finish, and action. Hope that helps a little.

Hi cfidave!

So you got it?

Congratulations! I've been on a plane when the auction finished.

I am still a bit angry. They are hard to get hold of. :evil:

Cheers. Rupert

A few pics of the one I missed out on

af_12.jpg

842a_3.jpg

8565_12.jpg

868e_3.jpg

Hi Rupert,

Yes, I got very lucky. I did not expect to get it, at that price. I would have prefered the goldtop finish, but the sunburst is very well done. Anyway, as I said, I would highly recomend the Tokai P90 pickups, to anyone looking for the traditional Les Paul P90 sound. The guitar plays, sounds, and looks, at least as good as any of my Gibbys. ( Actually has a lighter action then my 335).

can't really comment on the 85s, I do own a 145s however (p90's godltop also) and I would swear the guitar gets better everyday day.

These things are great!

I have a 2003 LS75 Goldtop w/ P90's (which as I understand is the equivalent to today's LS85) and I have to tell you that of my P90 loaded guitars, this one takes the cake......stock pickups and all.

The only drawback to it is the weight.....she's close to 10 lbs and after a 4 hour gig with it strapped on, I'm slightly crippled the next morning (well, that could also be due to the adult beverages I might have consumed :oops: )

Hi I just receive mine this morning! :D That's my first Tokai, and well I'm pretty happy with it.
I've made a review in french on the MIJ guitars french website:
http://www.guitarsmadeinjapan.fr/forums/viewtopic.php?id=561

While the finish is not as clean as on my lacquer Epiphone japan due tu poly finish, overall it's good.
(details as binding trussrod cover and well poly again... she's not perfect. But in this case, I don't really care :D)

The pickups are awesome.
A bit heavy and a chunky neck. not as chunky as a 50, and not as slim as a 60's. :)

Here's a little sound clip: Middle for riff, Rythm for the first chorus, and then Treble for the last chorus.
Goldie

Here's a picture wall with its details. Hope this might help.
head.jpg
Goldtop_6.jpg
Goldtop_11.jpg
Goldtop_13.jpg
Goldtop_14.jpg
Goldtop_2.jpg
Goldtop_3.jpg
Goldtop_1.jpg

Goldtop_7.jpg
Goldtop_5.jpg
Goldtop_4.jpg
Goldtop_19.jpg
Goldtop_15.jpg
Goldtop_10.jpg

http://www.guitarsmadeinjapan.fr/forums/viewtopic.php?id=561
&
http://www.guitarsmadeinjapan.fr/forums/viewtopic.php?id=546

:wink:

Hey Mark, haven't been here in a while, how's everything going?

Take good care of that 145s, these are wonderful things, can't play them enough...

keep rockin' :wink:

hawkeye2u said:
My LS70-F is 10lbs!
Being 54 and playing for 4 hrs and the bevy's takes its toll :lol:
Old *******.....lol
46<------------

While the finish is not as clean as on my lacquer Epiphone japan due tu poly finish, overall it's good.
(details as binding trussrod cover and well poly again... she's not perfect. But in this case, I don't really care )
Funny...it's soooo easy to spot the poly finished Tokais these days.
The poly is usually slopped over the binding where the fretboard extends onto the body.
EVERY poly Tokai that i have access to(8 in total) all have the same issue...I reckon it looks like crap.
I took my Nitro finished 1984 LS120 into Royce's music in Toowoomba(my local Tokai dealer) to have some pics taken of it by a mate at the store...and they were gushing about the difference between it and the new guitars hanging on their walls.

Ah, makes sense now! Does the same term apply to women and shoes? I can't imagine a woman proudly claiming that she has GAS!

Mike

Back