Tokai vs Orville for AUTHENTIC gibby TONE

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hey everyone
just wondering, between the Tokais and Orvilles, is 1 brand generally more true to the authentic Gibson TONE than the other? I dont mean just how excellent the sustain is or general "quality of tone" - im referring to a certain unique character- "voicing" maybe? that the Gibsons ive played generally possesed (while the Epiphones just sounded relatively sterile and lacked a certain acoustic warmth and "woodiness"? and personality).

not that im comparing these guitars to Epiphones- but for example :
(dunno how accurate this guys assesment was or maybe just this 1 particular guitar, but)... I read a post on an ESP /Edwards board- where if I remember correctly a guy was saying his Edwards Paul copy played and looked beautiful, sounded real nice BUT was missing a certain authentic Gibson low-midrange quality that his Orville DID possess. that got me thinkin is it maybe the same deal w the Tokais?

Unfortunately ive never had the pleasure of playing either a Tokai or Orville LP- when people say these can sound "even nicer/better" than a real LP does that mean maybe better sustain, but maybe more refined or something? I want a fat, raw, woody Gibson sound- not something just
Gibsonesque- i mean ALL that characteristic GIBSON PERSONALITY-i realize the part pickups can play but im talking about just the raw ACOUSTIC tone of these guitars b4 even plugging in vs the real Gibsons-

you guys'll have to forgive -this isnt the most articulate (or even intelligible?!) post , im just about
dog#@$ tired right now -but have been curious about this and couldnt wait to throw this 1 up here for all you resident tone connoisseurs-
sorry 4 all the redundance ;)
thanks in advance

I think the big question is what is 'The Gibson tone?' any set-neck guitar with a mahogony body and humbuckers will get you close, but if you are after an exact tone you need a reference point.

I have owned a few genuine Les Paul Standards from the early '90's to very recent ones, and played a lot more. While they are all similar, some to my ears are nicer sounding than others.

If it's a '59 Les Paul tone you are after a new Gibson Historic or high end Tokai should get you very close, as they are almost identical in construction methods and have pery good PAF style pick-ups. But what a genuine '59 Les Paul actually sounds like???? I've never had the pleasure of playing one.

Any high-end Tokai or Orville by Gibson should get very close to the sound of a Historic, my guess is blidfolded no-one could tell the difference if you had the same pick-ups in each. The main differences are cosmetic, most OBG's have 2 piece backs, while older Tokai's don't have a long neck tennon.

Find one you like the look of that plays well, stick some Seth Lover's in there and you will have a great Les Paul that sounds as close to a Historic as makes no difference. My preference is for the Tokai's (I'm biased though that's why I'm on this forum) but that's really just personal preference.

JohnA said:
I think the big question is what is 'The Gibson tone?' any set-neck guitar with a mahogony body and humbuckers will get you close, but if you are after an exact tone you need a reference point.

I have owned a few genuine Les Paul Standards from the early '90's to very recent ones, and played a lot more. While they are all similar, some to my ears are nicer sounding than others.

If it's a '59 Les Paul tone you are after a new Gibson Historic or high end Tokai should get you very close, as they are almost identical in construction methods and have pery good PAF style pick-ups. But what a genuine '59 Les Paul actually sounds like???? I've never had the pleasure of playing one.

Any high-end Tokai or Orville by Gibson should get very close to the sound of a Historic, my guess is blidfolded no-one could tell the difference if you had the same pick-ups in each. The main differences are cosmetic, most OBG's have 2 piece backs, while older Tokai's don't have a long neck tennon.

Find one you like the look of that plays well, stick some Seth Lover's in there and you will have a great Les Paul that sounds as close to a Historic as makes no difference. My preference is for the Tokai's (I'm biased though that's why I'm on this forum) but that's really just personal preference.

Yep, what he said! :D I actually thought the PAF MKIIs that came in my LS135 were ok, I put in a Gibson 57classic at the bridge. I really like that PUP. I have SD Alnico 2 pros in my Gibson Standard, the 57classic in my Tokai sound more like, well, what I think of when I think Les Paul sound than my standard does....(but I like those Alnico 2s!, just different)

I think the big question is what is 'The Gibson tone?

With so many Gibsons.. with different electronics and woods.. SGs, Les Pauls, Explorers... Les Pauls standards, studios, juniors, vintage mahogany, customs, BFG, supremes, deluxes.... and the custom shops historics, clouds.. that?s the question I?ve had in my head for years... everytime I hear a "Gibson tone" thing.. :lol:

If you want Gibson tone, why don't you buy a Gibson? Mindgames, it's all in your head.

Good answer .. and that?s what I think too.. the Gibson tone is in the "headstock" and in the "head".. talk about placebo effect on lots of people :wink:

if you want a les paul then tokai is your best bet. if you want a gibson then gibson is your best bet. if you want mary then mary is your best bet. if you want john then you're a gay. lol jk.

I've had the same thoughts as you do when i first consider tokai, but the moment that thing got cranked I forgot all these little things and just play some music. I do have some gibsons & at some points compare them out but all I can say they're just different but in a good way. even one guitar to another exact spec wouldn't sound exactly the same. You just gonna have to trust your ears..Big plus on tokai is the price!

mmmmmmmmmm when i played my/kazes LS-120 through my marshall 2x4 stack it was sweet it had that tone (mojo tone)

When i played it through my mate Fender amp :(

I am a big believer in what FX & amps you use aswell as the guitar

I have put some crappy guitars through my stage set up and they all sounded quite good

ITs not just about the guitar its all the setup that goes with it

You will know when you have that special one,it just plays and feels right set it up for yourself,just because Hendrix and SRV played a strat it dont mean that you can play like them if you have the same setup

Like Hendrix he recorded with a Gibson flying V but everyone thought it was a strat + most top players get endorsements

But wouldnt you think by now 2007 that the guitars would be a lot better than guitars built from the 59/70s era we should be going forward not backwards :wink:

Rossi said:
But wouldnt you think by now 2007 that the guitars would be a lot better than guitars built from the 59/70s era we should be going forward not backwards :wink:

The guitar manufacturing business, like every other businesss, has been going forward in terms of efficiency & profit, quality comes low down on the list!!

Still there are signs of hope, current USA Fenders are better than they have been for decades and Gibson are realising people want great guitars too!

Rossi said:
mmmmmmmmmm when i played my/kazes LS-120 through my marshall 2x4 stack it was sweet it had that tone (mojo tone)

When i played it through my mate Fender amp :(

I am a big believer in what FX & amps you use aswell as the guitar

Absolutely

OrvlRdnbachrVSGeorgeTokai said:
hey everyone
just wondering, between the Tokais and Orvilles, is 1 brand generally more true to the authentic Gibson TONE than the other? I dont mean just how excellent the sustain is or general "quality of tone" - im referring to a certain unique character- "voicing" maybe? that the Gibsons ive played generally possesed (while the Epiphones just sounded relatively sterile and lacked a certain acoustic warmth and "woodiness"? and personality).

I don't think it's a valid question. The guitars are so similar that most of what you are describing would come from the pickups, and you can change those to whatever you want.

Either of those brands should give you the sound you're looking for.

Latest posts

Back