Newbie guitarist

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shent

Reaction score
Hello guys, i'm considering buying my first guitar & have heard nothing but good things about Tokai guitars, so i think i'm going to go with a Tokai. I've been looking at a couple of guitars on ebay & would like some opinions:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110126699052&rd=1&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=320113770629&rd=1&rd=1

I'm looking to spend around ?200ish, so if anyone has any recommendations, please feel free to speak up. I'd also quite happily swap an internal organ for a Love Rock LS150, so if anyone needs a kidney, i'm your man :wink:

Cheers everyone

They seem to be genuine Tokais both for what I know. They are quite different, so maybe you should consider first what kind of sound you like by listening to some classic rock records:

SG is Ac/Dc, Guns n' Roses, Santana, Black Crowes, Zz Top etc. Thick and powerful overdriven, smooth and mellow clean.

Strat is Hendrix, Clapton, SRV, Pink Floyd etc. Very dynamic and cutting overdriven, clear and bell-like clean sound.

My personal opinion is that a Strat is better for a beginner because it's near perfect ergonomically and it is very versatile instrument.

You should wait for some replies so that the genuinety-issue is considered more thoroughly.

shent said:
I'd also quite happily swap an internal organ for a Love Rock LS150, so if anyone needs a kidney, i'm your man :wink:

If I were you I would follow outsider's recommendation ... and keep my organs ... no guitar is worth to pay sooo much for it ... :eek: :eek:

Welcome to the forum ... hope you'll enjoy being here !! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roger

The SG custom would probably close at less money, and if you like Les Pauls it would be closer to what you like. I would have it if I could justify another electric!

They both look fine to me
The question is, what sound are you after?
The SG's are generally really "bitey or bright", humbucker sound, ie AC/DC etc etc etc
The Strat is a Strat.... BUT with lower output from the pickups (pups), Hendrix, SRV, Y Malmsteen just to name a few.

As someone else said earlier the Strat is prob the best for you at this point, the versatility of a Strat guitar is fenomenal!
Sweet sounds, twangy, clean, to snarly growl with a good OD pedal

Hope this helpsyaoutdude

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm tempted to go for the SG as the majority of the music I play/listen to is hard rock. I'll only be playing as a hobby, so its only really to satisfy myself and what i like to be honest. Plus i'll probably save a few quid by going with that one. Just a quicky though, does anyone know any specs for the SG? woods etc?

Back