New Tokai 335 copy, please help!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanP

Reaction score
Hi all,
This is my first post here. I recently purchased a Tokai 335 copy off of Ebay in Canada. The weird thing is I bid on and thought I won a "Dillion" 335 copy. The pics in the listing didn't show the headstock clearly but it was listed as a Dillion. I didn't know till I opened the package that it was in fact a Tokai. I was a bit upset at first but after playing the guitar for a short time got over it. This guitar feels great and has a range of sound better than I could have hoped for. Since I found myself the owner of my first Tokai instrument I figured I'd get online and see what I could learn about it. Much like the guitar itself which has NO identifiable marks other than the name on the headstock, I could find little about Tokai guitars until finding this fine site. Here's where I hope you can help. From what I've been able to gather from reading some of the posts here my best guess is that I have a ES 60 or ES 80 model made in Korea but possibly China.
I'd attach a picture of it but there doesn't seem to be an option to do that here. It's translucent blue w/white binding, has Grover tuners and a Bigsby style vibrato. I noticed the ones on the UK Tokai site appeared to have Klusons and I saw none with vibratos. So if anybody could tell me what model, where it's manufactured, what it should be worth (retail) and why it would have no serial number or model number anywhere on it I'd appreciate it.
Thanks if you can help.
... Dan

p.s. I've noticed some people have posted pics if you could tell me how that is done I'd be happy to show mine off. The guitar that is... :D

Hi Dan you can go & upload your picture here: http://imageshack.us/
Then follow the simple instruction on how to post the picture here,
basically something that goes like this [color=red]picture link[/color][/mg]

How much did you pay for it and mind let us have a look at the auction?
I'm not a pro at this but I'm sure lotsa other fellows here can help you more
with given informations. Cheers!

Thanks for the info. I'm not at my home machine right now so I can't upload a pic of mine until later. Here's a current listing (8 hrs left as of this message) of the exact same guitar I bought. I ended up paying $248 U.S. for it. Not a bad deal in my estimation. Oddly enough it's also listed as a Dillion and from a different seller no less! What model is this guitar, really?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=001&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=110117223814&rd=1&rd=1

... Dan

Here's a pic of my new guitar.

Any detailed info is appreciated.

... Dan

Does anybody know why they don't put serial numbers or country of manufacture on these guitars?

Hi Danp!

I suggest that you read before you ask. This is not TGP or another 5m member forum.

Then you will get the best possible answers. Be specific. No B*t.

R

I suggest that you read before you ask. This is not TGP or another 5m member forum.

Then you will get the best possible answers. Be specific. No B*t.

What are you implying here or in your next post which states that the pic is "BS"? I simply thought I'd check a forum where people who appreciate the brand of guitar that I inadvertently found myself with might be happy to share a bit of info without me having to glean it from bits and pieces of thousands of posts. I read many posts about 335 copies but none had information relevant to my situation. My questions in my original post were as specific as I could make them.
As for the picture, I took it myself so it's not BS (as I understand BS). If for some reason you think it's not a genuine Tokai then please tell me why. That's why I posted the questions in the first place. I'm trying to learn about the guitar and now feel I'm being accused of something. What, I'm not clear on. w.t.f?

I emailed music canada as they have another of the same guitars listed. He has told me they are made in China. He said they came from the Dillion plant there - but have been labelled Tokai ..whatever that might mean.

rgrabows said:
I emailed music canada as they have another of the same guitars listed. He has told me they are made in China. He said they came from the Dillion plant there - but have been labelled Tokai ..whatever that might mean.

There's been a few topics ont that subject a while ago but they've been locked. :wink: It's taboo.

rgrabows said:
Yes, they are made in China. I have one of those. Does your guitar have Grovers? I am from Canada as well, these things seem to be a Canadian deal. I played a number of semis before I pulled the string on this thing. Mine is red. IMHO I think it is a pretty nice guitar. I had a few issues with cold sodders on the pots, but the retailer took care of that for me.

I just picked one up ...the red one ...on eBay this afternoon. Paid a little more than I wanted (265) from a Canadian eBayer...but I am a Canuck also ...and I prefer to buy local to save on the shipping/duties and hassle.

I'll let you know what I think of mine.

When you mentioned the sodder ...what did the retailer do to fixt the issue?

Yes, they are made in China. I have one of those. Does your guitar have Grovers? I am from Canada as well, these things seem to be a Canadian deal. I played a number of semis before I pulled the string on this thing. Mine is red. IMHO I think it is a pretty nice guitar. I had a few issues with cold sodders on the pots, but the retailer took care of that for me.

That's the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks! Yes, mine has Grovers and as you can see from the pic is blue. I've had it just over a week and I've got to say I'm impressed regardless of wherever it came from. After inadvertently ruffling some feathers here I did some more digging around the forum and while it helped answer some questions I'm still left a little puzzled about these guitars. There seems to be no consensus. No matter, it looks, plays and sounds quite good and I'm satisfied with my purchase. I'd really like to know what model number to call it. "335 copy" just doesn't ring nice!

Hi Dan,
I have been told that the model number is DH 502 and is based on the Korean NES 80.

I go with Tokai semi hollow.

I suggest that instead of talking about it, you play it!

Hello Ross -

Where are you getting the information about the model numbers?

Since I got one yesterday...I am also interested in tracking down additional information about it.

I have a Korean made Tokai ES-60 so I can't wait to compare the two.

OK - I got some more information. My guitar showed up at lunch time ...so 24 hrs after payment..not bad at all.

I was shocked to see it was actually sent by Mikes Music in Thorold. I have bought at least 3 guitars from him in the past - my Dillion DLP-675 and my other Tokai ES60.

I called Mike up to get more information about the guitar. It says Tokai on the top ...but he says Tokai and Dillion are one and the same from this factory now. Also it is the same factory that does the Epiphone DOTs.

Some bad news - the guitar is going back.

Unfortunately it is damaged - appearing to have been dropped behind the strap pin on the body. There is a fair bit of damage - perhaps done while shipping.

I called Mike - he is arranging pickup by UPS and will ship the replacement when the old one is returned.

Shame really because I liked the way it played. I hope the replacement is as nice.

Sorry to hear that about your guitar. I got mine from him too. Fastest shipping I've ever experienced. Luckily mine was in perfect shape. I'm quite impressed with the quality of this guitar. It plays wonderfully and the pots seem to be of great quality because the volume and tone taper very smoothly! The neck pickup has a sweet blues tone! I bid on mine because it was listed as a Dillion. I own another Dillion and really like the work they do. I'm glad the Tokai didn't disappoint even though I was surprised by it when I opened the box.

Back