Ls 85Q oak

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vapotti

Reaction score
can someone tell me something about my tokai?

i bought this and it was used. owner said that "this one is special". It has some kind of different woods than the normal tokai's have?

Can't find anything from the internet!

What kind of woods does my guitar have?

Here's a link to a pic:

19826.jpg

I think that by "special" he probably meant that you see less oak finishes outhere than sunbursts, or maybe that he thinks it sounds particulary good... I dunno.

As far as woods, it's a quilted maple top with mahogany back, mahogany one-piece neck and rosewood fingerboard (I'm really channeling that Tokai catalog lol). Do a search in the forum for "2006 catalog" and you'll find it.

As always TOGPS is correct, but I thought some veneers was Sycamore??
Nevertheless stunning looking tops

What year did sycamore tops start & when did they end??

HeadCreeps said:
I think that by "special" he probably meant that you see less oak finishes outhere than sunbursts, or maybe that he thinks it sounds particulary good... I dunno.

As far as woods, it's a quilted maple top with mahogany back, mahogany one-piece neck and rosewood fingerboard (I'm really channeling that Tokai catalog lol). Do a search in the forum for "2006 catalog" and you'll find it.

but that tokai is 2003 model.

And i forgot to tell, that this one has a pickguard. i just took it off.

The flame veneers are sycamore, and as far as I'm aware always have been. The quilt veneers are maple.

There's nothing special about the wood on that LS85Q - standard mahogany on maple with a figured maple veneer. But you don't see the oak finish very often. Very classy. 8)

could someone tell me, why can't i find anything about this model from the internet. Almost seems like that there is no LS85Q?

Has it changed name or something?

What was the year when they started to make these guitars?

I've looked trough the catalogs from tokai registry but i can't seem to find this model from them..

I think this is weird.

http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/products/vintage/ls/ls90q/ls90qs.html

Hi mate - try this link. Also, try searching for LS90Q in google.

They change the model number more often than Lindsay Lohan changes partners!!!

BTW - i believe the new LS150's are now going to be called LS190s!!!

Hmm........LS1,000,000 anyone??? :roll:

guitarslinger said:
http://www1.odn.ne.jp/tokaigakki/products/vintage/ls/ls90q/ls90qs.html

Hi mate - try this link. Also, try searching for LS90Q in google.

They change the model number more often than Lindsay Lohan changes partners!!!

BTW - i believe the new LS150's are now going to be called LS190s!!!

Hmm........LS1,000,000 anyone??? :roll:

I know that ls90q SHOULD be the old ls85Q BUT in the LS90 there is no pickguard. and mine does?

and still i wonder why there aren't no mention in the catalogs of the ls85Q

Tokai supply many of their japanese love rocks with pick guards in the box. We can do you a brand new LS90Q with a pick guard no probs.

So that's why yours probably has one where others won't.

God i hate drilling into the front of guitars for pick guards and stuff. I get the shakes!!! I have to let James do it!

guitarslinger said:
Tokai supply many of their japanese love rocks with pick guards in the box. We can do you a brand new LS90Q with a pick guard no probs.

So that's why yours probably has one where others won't.

God i hate drilling into the front of guitars for pick guards and stuff. I get the shakes!!! I have to let James do it!

Oh. thats something new! i didn't know that you can choose the pickguard or not. Cool.

to bad mine had pickguard. but i don't mind. the guitar has seen alot. it has a lots of dents.. DEEP dents. i can touch the wood.

I could put some pics here.

Paladin2019 said:
Ouch, those are some pretty nasty prangs. I hope you got a very generous deal when you bought it.

Yeah. i got that pretty cheap. hard case duncans pickups and guitar 770 euros.

and i don't really mind those dents. doesn't affect playing so i don't mind.

770 euros is not cheap.. it is around the standard price for a new LS85Q (at least here where I live) Oak finish, with case, here in Portugal.....

I got my LS85F, new, with case in 2006 for 720 euros, If I remember...

but.. not such a bad price because of the duncans :wink:...

Even with the duncans, it was a bad deal. The damage is just too extensive to justify the price, and aftermarket pickups do not make up for it - they do not improve a guitar's value on the secondhand market.

The seller clearly knew this, and tried to justify the inflated price with overblown claims of "special wood".

It's probably a great guitar to play, but I think vapotti was ripped off.

Paladin2019 said:
Even with the duncans, it was a bad deal. The damage is just too extensive to justify the price, and aftermarket pickups do not make up for it - they do not improve a guitar's value on the secondhand market.

The seller clearly knew this, and tried to justify the inflated price with overblown claims of "special wood".

It's probably a great guitar to play, but I think vapotti was ripped off.

In my country this guitar costs 1000 euros as a new one. + duncans 120 euros + hard case 100 euros. 1220 euros. And i needed a good guitar that i'll probably play for the rest of my life. And i feel like i found one.

I don't care about the dents. They don't make the price, guitar does.

Back