Buying a Tokai on a budget

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Placid Casual

Reaction score
Hi, I've been playing guitar for about 2 years on a Westfield Les Paul copy that cost me ?90.

It was a decent enough guitar to learn on but now im thinking about upgrading.
I have a nice amp, it's a Vox AD50VT, I just need a nice guitar to plug into it.

I love Les Paul style guitars, and I've heard lots of good thing about these Tokai guitars.

Now my current budget is around the ?300 price mark, with this I could go for a Tokai ALS48 or an ALS50Q (basically the same guitar with a nice quilt top) They both have PAF Vintake Mk 4 humbuckers.

Is it worth spending ?300 on one of these guitars ?

I've heard that they're excellent quality, way better than Epiphone and that you shouldn't look down on them because they come from Korea.

At the moment I am tempted by this guitar very much, however I recently realised that I could get a Japanese Tokai, with PAF mk 2 pick-ups for less than ?500.

The Tokai LS 65 has better pick-ups, a solid mahogany body with a plain maple top. It will cost me ?450.

Should I save a couple weeks and go for the more expensive LS65, or not being in a band or anything, should I save the money and buy the Korean Tokai ALS50Q ?

The difference between the guitars is ?170 - im thinking that it's probably worth saving and getting the better guitar but I'd appreciate some guidance.

What do you guys think ?

I have 2 Tokais at the moment, with another on the way. All 3 are Japanese, but I have a ALS75Q Les Paul which is brilliant. I haven't owned a Korean made Tokai, and to be honest I avoided them because they have got mixed reviews, but I really don't know how good they are to give a proper opinion.

What I do know is that my Tokai Les Paul is easily as good for me as my Gibson, so if the Korean made guitars are similar they should be better then Epiphone.

You should keep an eye out on ebay, I recently bought a Japanese Tokai SG (USG100) brand new for half the price that you'll pay in a store - no one else bid on it!

Hi, I have a MIJ LS60 and recently bought a MIK PR50. I actualy prefer the PR50 because I think the MK4's give it a slightly more modern tone. Build quality on the MIK compares favourable with the MIJ, the only thing is that it doesn't stay in tune when being moved around like the LS60 does. Its fine when being played though.

Try em both out for a bit before making your choice....you never know, you might end up with both!!

First of all The Korean ALS48 will be way better than your current axe! Getting it set up by a pro should make it even better. If you can get the Japanese model do, because they are good enough to do you the rest of your playing life. Im 47...I could afford a Gibson...but my Love Rock Ls70f will do nicely thank you

Here in Australia it's not hard to buy a decent Tokai on a budget.
We have a glut of MiC Tokai at the moment.
You can pick up a decent MiC USG for $650-700 AUD brand new.
I've played a few of the MiC models and other than very slight csmetic glitches they're hard to fault.

I tried out a few in Gamlins in Cardiff.

To be honest, I really couldn't fault the Korean Love Rock they had there for ?299.

I tried out a MIJ LS80 which was over twice the price and there really wasn't much difference at all. If anything I prefered the Korean one because it was a Gold top.

I think I'll go back sometime soon and ask to buy that particular display model, as I believe the new ones are now made in China and are probably worse than the Korean ones.

Either that or I'll save up an extra ?200 to get a MIJ LS80 off eBay, I suppose if I can afford to, it might be worth doing.

hi.
i would never call myself a guitarist (skill is required for that!) but my advice is practical.

s'pose you've gotta ask yourself... in 3 years time, will you be saying to yourself ' 'I NOW REALLY WANNA UPGRADE TO A JAPANESE MODEL' if so, my advice would be to save for the higher spec model.

if you're sure you'll always be playing guitar, you can justify the extra finantial commitment.

just to say, i have tokai's from both price points- A chinese model that has a finish to die for (usg 35 model- sg 61 replica)

totally non related, but i know a guy who has an AMAZING chinese made
ibanez artcore jazz guitar-

please don't let origin put you off....

however, i have a '06 japanese lc 85 (les paul custom replica) and it is a beautiful axe!!! those PAF vintage MK2's are sweet as.
good luck with whatever you decide to do..

Latest posts

Back