What strings for an LS150?!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tokaigi

Reaction score
Hey peeps,

long time no speak! Hope your all still well, Jamie hows the shop?! :)

Still totally loving my LS150 with me mesa studio +22, sounding crunchy as hell.

Its that time again where a change of strings is in order, therefore i would like some further opinions. I've been primarily a strat player, starting out with my Squire, then moved on to my Ibanez RG550 and both i played with Ernie Ball Regulars.

Now i have a les paul copy and want to get a much more tonefull and responsive sound. I want it to carry a warmth so i was wondering whether any one would be able to suggest a set that would give me a nice tonal response and a warmth ? Obviously want to be able to rip into a blinding solo at any point of a song so thats a factor as well, dont want strings that will go muddy.... i dont want much do i? haha

I do think that a lot of it will depend on my settings on the amp but im happy with the settings at the moment so i think the strings are the missing link to having perfection...or near as dammit!!

Im playin with DR's at the moment, and their nice, but to my ear not quite right. (Yes, they would be the ones i had on the guitar originally, which again will affect my sound, im just skint a lot so havent been able to scape the cash or the time to get new ones! and im lazy...)

Thanks for readin folks

Tok

Hi Tokaigi,

Sounds to me like you're describing Snake Oil Brand's "Original Nickel Strings', which co-incidentally won the Guitar player Magazine's "Editors Pick" for 2006.

- I've been using them on my LS-150 for about 2 years now & they are way nicer than the DRs &/or Pyramids I used before. I use .011's on my LS-150 and .010's on my Springy Sound ST-60 & ST-80.

Dean Farley, who designs & sells them, sticks pretty rigidly to the metals and formulas that were used in the 1960s, and they have both warmth & clarity in spades. Gobs of tone, but never muddy. As you can see from the pic, the crowd seem to approve too... :lol:

VR-CX06-53.jpg

Seeing you're 'skint', you'll be pleased to hear that Snake Oil Brand strings last a LOT longer than other brands too, I can keep them on there for upwards of 3 months of gigging (....& I did 18 gigs last month). Not only that, but their tone actually improves the more & longer you play them! They have a very nice 'slinky' feel too.

Dean has one of the best ears in the business, and also very kindly help me set up my pickups (over the phone!) in both my LS-60 & LS-150.

Web site / details here: -
http://www.sobstrings.net/

Good luck!

SOBstrings.jpg

Thanks for the reply!

I'll have to give them a try, any ideas whether they're stocked in guitar shops here?! lol

by the by, are you gettin any commission for your big up? it was awesome so i recon you should! lol

cheers dude

Tok

Hi again Tokaigi,

There's a thread for them on the Guitar Hub forum here : -
http://theguitarhub.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22

I've told Dean about this thread here, & hopefully he'll chime in with details of any stockists near you - where are you, BTW?
I buy all mine online using PayPal. You can buy them direct from http://sobstrings.net/

As for commission, no bro', just trying to spread the word! -

... & anyway, what's 5% of 'skint"? :roll:

Latest posts

Back