Differences between Tokai and Fender's

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Applepie

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I was wondering what are the differences between Tokai's and Mexican Fenders! (Stratocaster)
And which one is the better one?

Thanks!

Even though the mex classic series are ok (not the mex standard!) I prefer a Tokai. I 've tried a few mex models and hasn't been impressed. One of them was a vintage player, one of the most expensive mex models and it was not a good guitar. I paid less than half the price for a new japanese 2002 AST-50 Tokai and it's definitely a better guitar. On the vintage player the neck fitted poorly into the neck pocket for example (pocket too wide). Acoustically the Tokai beat it hands down, the tone and sustain is excellent. There are a few things that could be improved on the Tokai like the pickup switch but that's inexpensive.

Since Tokai have stopped manufacturing Fender models it can be hard to find a new one but they are still out there. Otherwise you'll have to find a used one.

There's also another alternative, the new japanese Fender strats, but you'll have to import one yourself if you want one. Most models are probably made by Tokai today and are very good. I would not consider the cheapest standard model even though they are quite good. I've owned a very nice 1995 standard but the vintage style models are better.

Mike

Applepie said:
... I would rather prefer a vintage one :)

But, thanks for the answer!

Then try to find an early Goldstar Sound (1984-) or a late Springy Sound (81-83). It doesn't get much better than that! Models from ST/TST-50 and upwards are all very good (look for Kluson type tuners, vintage type trem with steel sustain block (many "50" models have it and all better models as far as I know)). Most common are the ST/TST-50 models.

Mike

Applepie said:
What do you guys think about a Silver Star SS36, 1982, YS (?) for about 600??

Too much if you ask me, SS36 (should be SS38 in -82 I think) is a low end model like the Goldstar TST/AST-40. You should be able to find a better model for 600?.

Mike

Latest posts

Back