Tokai at NAMM

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stone Free

Reaction score
Surfing around and found this NAMM '07 foto of a new design by Tokai. Looks nice.

http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=363222036&size=l

I'm sure there are others (and i know Ned will post some fotos soon as he has said) but this is all i've come up with thus far.

Enjoy...

Stone Free,

please don't take my opinion as an offence ... :wink:

... but ... for me this "Thing" is no Tokai anymore ... I would never, never buy such a Franken-kai ... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

But Thanks for the pics though ... :-?

A very, very sad ...

Roger

tudor-

So are you saying it's only a Tokai if it's a copy of someone else's design?

These guitars are made in the same factory as all the other Tokai models and play just as nice. If this is how we in the US can get new Tokai's then I for one and probably everyone else in the US that wants a Tokai welcomes them.

ned said:
tudor-

These guitars are made in the same factory as all the other Tokai models and play just as nice. If this is how we in the US can get new Tokais then I for one and probably everyone else in the US that wants a Tokai welcomes them.

Ned, you beat me to that reply.

Hey, i play MANY fine axes, including a gorgeous, toneful Tokai LS-145S and a smokin' Edwards JP Relic, but i'm always open to new stuff (at least i think i am! lol).

ned said:

Ned,

it's not "someone else's design" - it's a Gibbo design ... and that is important to me ... :wink: ... it was my reason to join this forum and I think for so many others here ... :wink:

I understand that you have to defend these creatures ... but please think about your previous statements for Tokai LPs since this forum had been started ... 8)

This Fender / Gibbo clone with it's ugly string through can't attract me ... period.

So - my destinations go furthermore to the Japanese market - although I'm sure Tokai will loose on the guitar market with those "things and gadgetries" ... the prices for "The Real Tokai Thing" will increase ... absolutely sure !!! 8)

On the other side I ask - what do you do for a living ????

Roger

Tudor you have to be kidding :eek: .Tokai build wonderful guitars,what makes you think they should only make copies.This is the first time i have seen these new models and i think they are gorgeous. Any new guitar shape is going to resemble in some way a gibson or a fender just like PRS,and ibanez to name a couple of very successful manufacturers.
This guitar is easy on the eye and i bet she plays just as well. And Ned please post more info as soon as you get it, as i am very interested in anything that comes out of Tokai japan. Keep up the good work :D

I agree with both sides of the argument. Tokai has the copy thing down to a science, and for the most part, that is the attraction. High quality copies at a reasonable price.

I do like the new model in the picture. I have a Godin that looks just like it! (Godin came first!).

Sorry guys but it just doesn't do it for me looks wise. I'm sure it plays and sounds amazing though.

Read what was posted. Currently these are North America only models. Tokai is still making and will continue to make other models for the rest of the World. But those are not avaible here in the North America - one cannot walk into a music store and experience a Tokai in the US. Therefore how is Tokai supposed to grow if it does not have access to the largest guitar market in the World.

Since some people think it's important to this thread and forum to know what I do during the day (at night I rehearse with my band and gig). I am not involved in the music industry other than the web sites I have built. Spend my day working on marketing analytics and data mining for a high tech company.

To close. I own a Reborn, Love Rock, SG and a Talbo and T-1 Sound Stream. They are all fantastic instruments and I don't discount the Talbo or T-1 just because they aren't clones and I enjoy playing them just as much.

Being Tokais 60th Anniversary, there is Limited Edition 60th Anniversary Model in the wings for the US.

The neck inlay is, in fact, a real work of art. Some will say it is absolutely stunning, some may not.

I have seen a pic of it and I want one. I know it is a US model, but, nonetheless, you only get one 60th Anniversary.

I hope that Tokai make one in "domestic" Japanese model. I will be wanting one of them too.

Well, it isn't easy to come up with an original design today. I actually like that one, I'm not a fan of tele's but the tele style body with a Gibson style headstock and humbuckers is quite nice. Does anybody have any info on that guitar, models, price range etc?

And about Nik Huber, yes it's similar to one of his models which is in fact has a tele style body too :) . The other Huber model's design is suspiciously close to a well known Gibson model :wink: . I know he makes excellent guitars but they are too expensive for me. The new Tokai will probably be very well built at an affordable price.

Mike

javelin70 said:
Does anybody have any info on that guitar, models, price range etc?
Mike

One here http://www.godlyke.com/Online_Store.php?thiscat=43&=SID

Other here http://www.godlyke.com/Online_Store.php?thiscat=44&=SID

Peter

I can't help myself, check the inlay on the neck of the Limited Edition 60th Anniversary Model

60thNeck.jpg

stratmoto said:
One here http://www.godlyke.com/Online_Store.php?thiscat=43&=SID

Peter

I'm not sure I wanted to see that :D , now I might have to get one of those! I like it, the headstock design is simple but looks really good in my opinion. I wonder if the amber one is see-through, it should be but it's listed among the solid colors.

Mike

Interesting guitar.It was a little odd at first look but as far as I look the most I like it.I?m very consevative in guitars too,but it?s because I know the sound I like and want and it?s a Les Paul and/or a 335 style.
I?m pretty sure that Tokai guitar is really good,just because Tokai make good guitars.
Tokai has always been an innovative brand,trying news things from old,just remember Talbos for example.....In recent times I remember Love Rock II model too,and the S.E.B. construction in LP style guitars....

Teddy Rasch, owner of one of the USA's largest online music stores, includes a foto of the rack of Tokais in his NAMM update today (about halfway down the page). I'm not sure, but it appears to imply that he might be carrying them in the future.

http://www.musictoyz.com/articles/chopnamm2k7.php

Nice publicity for Tokai in the USA, don't you think?

Back