Newbie! My 1985 Love Rock!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimlithgow

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have just found this forum. How surprised and pleased I was to discover the paraellel Tokai universe you inhabit! I would like to show you my guitar and hope that you can help me answer a few questions...

I have put some photos up on my webpage: I hope you can get to it:

http://www.angelfire.com/planet/unioncrack/tokai.html

Using the info on this site, I think I know this much:

It is a 1985 Love Rock, serial no. 5031391. The whole thing about discovering the model number is crazy... why didn't they just engrave it in? Anyway I suppose it's half the fun working it out! I think my model is a LS-60, because, as one of your knowledgable correspondents said, inside the "pot" cover there is NO circuit board, just pots.

I think the body is 2 piece maple: you can see the join in the body below the bridge section. Can you tell me if I am right in describing the colour as "plain cherry sunburst"? It is just like a plain maple finish as opposed to the "flaming" or "tiger stripe" effecs.
I have to say I prefer the "plain" effect as opposed to the stripy ones!

I think the tuners (?) have been replaced - as you can see they have a star motif - does anyone know what make these are?

Now, what I was originally looking for was info about the pickups. I haven't had a proper look in the pickups yet - as I've just restrung and don't want to unwind a load of new strings just yet!!
I'm not very technical when it comes to guitars, so don't know much about pickups, but as far as I can tell, the LS-60 were fitted with Tokai 57 Vintage PAF Humbuckers - am I right?

I have just started playing and gigging in a band, and was wondering if I would get a better sound by replacing one or both of the pickups. At the moment, the guitar seems very trebly compared to my other guitar. Now before you ask I have to say that my amp is a Line 6 Spider MkII 120W .........SHAME!!! : I realise that these amps are pretty rubbish for gigging - I know the main problem is probably the amp and I should get a marshall......... however, do you think I would benefit from getting a new pickup? What type would you recommend? We play classic/hard rock/basically metal!!

Also - would I benefit from getting an aluminium tail-piece?

I will suspend further questions for now. Thanks for any answers you might have, I've really enjoyed reading the forum - you lot know your stuff!

cheers

Jim

Firstly welcome to the Tokai forum. Those machine heads look exactly like the ones on an Antoria LP Copy I had back in the sev...well, a long time ago.
Dont know why someone changed them!

Hi! Welcome to the forum. Nice guitar!

I'd say it's a higher model than a 60 because of the fret-edge binding.
I think villager was just saying that LS-80's and above had fret-edge binding
but only up to 1982. After that I'm not sure. If yours is an 1985, then it might be a higher model even more so.

-- Bill

Hi BLue Haze - I have to say that those machine head seem to work really well for me. I don't know why they were changed though. And Detroitace - you mention it might be higher than LS60 cos of the fret binding - but what about the circuit board over the pots?

I guess eventually I'll look inside the the pickup space for more clues!!

Jim

Welcome to the Tokai experience! Get rid of the amp and step up to ANYTHING with tubes :lol: and change those pickups :lol: I recommend Duncans for affordable pups but Fralins if you want the most tone, they are just splendid. If you think your guitar sounds good now you'll flip when you put in a really great pup.

Bob

I agree with the prev post
GET A REAL TUBE AMP

I'd wait with replacing the pickups until you have a TUBE amp

I have a LS70F (98) I do not want to change those pup's in a hurry as they are so much what I want soundwise, stronger output than my custom wired P90's ( really hot at 9.14k )for my Lp Jr & Fender Strat (also custom wired set)

Do small changes and listen to the sound!

I'm perfectly happy with the stock Gotho Paf II in my Lester

hawkeye2u said:
Do small changes and listen to the sound!

Welcome and nice guitar! I agree with hawkeye. The stock pickups are very PAF-like, so you might want to wait a while.

The aluminum tailpiece is a must, though, IMO. It really makes a difference.

Have fun with your Tokai!

Nice guitar.

Those star tuners were common on MIJ guitars in late 1970's. Check out many Ibanez models with similar tuners. So, they may be original.

Hi guys thanks for your emails.
So, regarding the tailpiece - I looked on ebay, and saw that I could buy an aluminium/nickel-plated tailpiece. But also, I could get a tailpiece and bridge set:

what do you think makes most difference to the sound / sustain? the bridge or the tailpiece?

I suppose I have to just try it out for myself! I've never really tinkered with the bridge on my tokai - it seems to have pretty decent sustain already.

Regarding tube amps - forgive my naivety, but is it possible for me to get a tube combo amp? Or would I have to get a separate tube amp head, with separate cabs?

I've got some saving up to do, I know that.

One final question. I've got an old dunlop Cry-baby Wah pedal. When I plug this in, The wah effect is ok but when I'm not "pedalling" the wah, it makes things sound super trebly. I can turn the pedal "off" by pressing my foot hard down onto the button, but it takes a bit of effort, which I can't do in the middle of a song!!
Do you think this can be fixed, or is it just the way it is?

cheers - have a ROCKING weekend!!

Jim

Jim,

Welcome also from me and Congrats to your axe !! :lol: :lol:

Regarding the STP - contact togps , he's selling the ultimate Faber kit - give him a PM ... you'll not regret it !! :wink: :wink:

Roger

Back