Copies of Les Paul Juniors / Melody Makers

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJM

Reaction score
Like the title reads, does any manufacturer, especially Tokai, make a replica of these models?

Yeah, Edwards makes a nice range of them - go to eBay and pull up Edwards guitars under musical instruments and have a look. There are several on there.

I played a burny just the other day...was setup like a cheesegrater...but it had potential.

RE LP Juniors, the old Japanese-made Burny versions sound closest to the real 50s thing IMO. The Tokai TJ-60 has the fattest neck & the best sustain, while the Edwards is the lightest & looks the most authentic cosmetically, but doesn't sound as smooth as the Tokai, or as warm as the Burny. The Edwards has a 1 piece body, the Burny is a 2-piece & the Tokai a 3-piece. They all have a very long neck tenon.
Yes, the Tokai has a 3-piece body & still sustains the best. Go figure.
If I had to just pick one? Ahh, just shoot me & be done with it! :wink:
Haven't tried any other versions. I've heard the Orville is good (Villager has 2 gorgeous examples of these for sale)

Dillion sells a single P90 MIK junior. It's model number DLJR58. They're fairly easy to find on eBay and go for about $400 - 450. I've never seen one personally, but they are supposedly made in the same plant that made the MIK Tokais, so they're probably pretty decent for the money. The body is alder, though, not mahogany.

I hope it dont get flamed here, but Gibson makes a nice double cutaway Special with worn finish for about 900 Euros - i love their 'TV Yellow Worn'. But be sure to check the guitar for quality issues!
But at least i bought a used Hamer Special USA for 800 Euro - what a deal!

NJM said:
Like the title reads, does any manufacturer, especially Tokai, make a replica of these models?
I've got two ObG (Orville by Gibson) LPJRs - a single-cut and a double-cut, both in cherry. The single cutaway is an '89 and the double is an '88.....

01a.jpg

02a.jpg

03a.jpg

I know they're plain-jane lookin' (which I actually kinda like) but man, they've both got sweet, sweet tone and the same quality, fit and finish as all ObGs--super! It's amazing what a P90 at the bridge on 6lbs of unadorned mahogany can sound like.

Latest posts

Back