Which amp for your tokai???

Tokai guitar discussion

Moderators: ian, ned

100watt
Power chords are my friend

Post by 100watt » Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:54 pm

I'm still trying to get my hands on a Tokai I like (got a LS100 anniversary on order). My main guitar is a USA tele with a Seymour Duncan "little 59" in the bridge position which sounds great through my Carvin "Belair" vintage tube. Great amp, great price too. Only paid ?500 GBP a few years ago. Can't wait to find out what a Tokai LoveRock sounds like through it. For 50 watts its a really LOUD amp.
New Orange "Tiny Terror" sounds great quite fancy one of those! 7 or 15 watt selector switch, about the size of a toaster!

teenagekick
Plucker

Post by teenagekick » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:48 am

100watt wrote:I'm still trying to get my hands on a Tokai I like (got a LS100 anniversary on order). My main guitar is a USA tele with a Seymour Duncan "little 59" in the bridge position which sounds great through my Carvin "Belair" vintage tube. Great amp, great price too. Only paid ?500 GBP a few years ago. Can't wait to find out what a Tokai LoveRock sounds like through it. For 50 watts its a really LOUD amp.
New Orange "Tiny Terror" sounds great quite fancy one of those! 7 or 15 watt selector switch, about the size of a toaster!
i have the rocker 30 combo......amazing 8)

Easy Crossing
Guitar God

Post by Easy Crossing » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:16 pm

1968 Marshall Plexi 100 does it for me.

Jockai
Guitar God

Post by Jockai » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:31 pm

believe it or not a kid came into the music shop i used to work in and asked why there wasn't a 13 amp plug on the end of his guitar lead ....to play "electric guitar" ....God bless him....

i also had a French guitarist turn up with "Roast Beef" written on the plug of his amp ...when i asked him why.... he said ...."eet eez a british plug" ...
..."you call us frogs...we call you Roast beef".... :lol:

Diamond
Guitar God

Post by Diamond » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:40 pm

100watt wrote:I'm still trying to get my hands on a Tokai I like (got a LS100 anniversary on order).
And???

Kappie
Guitar God

Post by Kappie » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:46 am

I use a Brunetti Maranello. It is only 20 W, full tube and it goes up to something like 105 dB. Very versatile and very easy in getting exactly the sound you want.
This is how it sounds like:
Relatively undistorted:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Rockabovecl ... gJ-9hGXPDE
Relatively distorted:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Rockabovecl ... EwHCU47veY

DrJzT
Guitar God

Amp of choice

Post by DrJzT » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:22 pm

Hi guys and gals, im new to this forum. I treated myself to a lovely ES130 in tobacco burst from richtone around August of this year. I downsized from a far too complicated Marshall TSL100 combo with 2x12 cab down to a Fender Blues Deluxe. Have to admit took me a while to find a small valve amp that had the type of sound i was after. I demoed it with a Gibby ES335 in a music store, and that was the exact sound i was after. Loving it, and only something like 8 dials on. I think the TSL was 29 pots and 9 switches (just on the front! :-? )
Surpass today, what you were yesterday- Musashi

SkyNet3D
Guitar God

Post by SkyNet3D » Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:25 pm

I use the only amp i have, an Engl Powerbal with a 2x12 V30's Engl cab. Since currently i only play at home i've been looking into buying a Blackstar HT-5, maybe next year.

My Tokai is a LS-135 (the current LS-150), and it sounds awesome with the PB.

Big Willie Style
Guitar God

Post by Big Willie Style » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:42 pm

Canterbilly wrote:I use my LR with a Laney VC15 (10" Jenson speaker) tube amp. Great little amp with a brilliant sound. I tend to use just the guitars volume controls to go from clean-crunch-solo and the Laney is perfect for it. It needs an extension cab (2x10) for gigs, but because of the low power rating you can crank it all the way to get the output tubes cooking. Dunno what it's like with Strat type guitars but sounds amazing with the Love Rock and a PRS Soapbar. With a strat it would probably need an overdrive pedal for full on rock sounds but with more powerful pickups there is plenty of gain.
They are good value for money too. You can easily find them for well under ?300 (GBP), and they are self biasing (as long as you change the output tubes with a matched set). One of the best buys I've ever made, I much prefer it to my old fender tube amps.
I got one of these too and they sound SWEET! I play my LS-150 and ES-120 both with stock MKII and my SG-155 with Leosounds Growldogs straight in and get great tones from it. If I need to play at lower volumes but still want some crunch, I also add a Boss BD-2 in front.

I was looking to get something a little 'sexier' than the Laney but the more I play it, the more I love it. Mine still has stock tubes, and as it's my first tube amp, I have no idea what to replace with down the road. Any thoughts?

Jason

PJH
I only know 3 chords

Post by PJH » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:25 am

I posted this demo video a while back. But if anyone is interested this was done with a Tokai LS85 into a Marshall TSL602 set to clean and then using an MI Audio Crunchbox for the distortion.

The link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG9OEkgGEJM

Cheers,

Peter.

blunty
Sus4add11

Post by blunty » Fri Dec 25, 2009 5:07 am

All into the UX-2 now. Much easier for recording and mixing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkxuruZ1tzE

Tell me what you think. Thanks.