bruno
Guitar God

Post by bruno » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:52 am

my tweed deluxe loves p90's... :o

works ok with humbucker too... but the pickup it loves most is definetly p90's

teenagekick
Plucker

Post by teenagekick » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:09 am

its all about my little orange rocker 30.....best amp i have ever played to date.

buckwild

Post by buckwild » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:53 pm

I've always been a firm believer in the Les Paul + Marshall equals tonal nirvana. Therefore I run my LS-320 into a Marshall Silver Jubilee and DSL-100.

For bedroom stuff I use a VOX valvetronix the 60 watt version with blue dog 12" speaker-I love it.

Rock!!!!

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:57 am

buckwild wrote:I've always been a firm believer in the Les Paul + Marshall equals tonal nirvana. Therefore I run my LS-320 into a Marshall Silver Jubilee.......
Hey Joe, is the Silver Jubilee the limited edition model with the silver tolex? I've never seen one.....pictures?

Guitargoblin
Guitar God

Post by Guitargoblin » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:20 am

For humbuckers: Sovtek MIG 100H through 2x12 cab w/ Vintage 30s (not my fave cab or speakers, but until I can afford something better, it'll do)

For P90s: Ashdown Peacemaker 60 2x12 combo w/ G12Hs

Only one of my guitars is a Tokai, but this rule is fairly universal
Guitar Greed

Roe
Guitar God

Post by Roe » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:47 am

with my LS320 and SG155 I've had good results with:

- metro jtm45 with RS OT and bluesbreaker ext and bogner os cabs
- clark rockford reverb (vibroverb reverb with 12f150t that looks like a deluxe reverb)
- lil dawg champster
- alessandro rottweiler with mojotone tremolux cab with 10a150 and 10" alnico california
http://www.myspace.com/20bonesband http://www.myspace.com/prostitutes
Shiro FA90/ES175 Tokai LS320 SG155 ES155 Gretsch 6131MY Warmoth Esq Metro JTM45 JTM50 JMP50 Express Komet Clark Piedmont 6G6B & Rockford Rev. Li'l Dawg Champster Alessandro Rottweiler

buckwild

Post by buckwild » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:19 am

marcusnieman wrote:
buckwild wrote:I've always been a firm believer in the Les Paul + Marshall equals tonal nirvana. Therefore I run my LS-320 into a Marshall Silver Jubilee.......
Hey Joe, is the Silver Jubilee the limited edition model with the silver tolex? I've never seen one.....pictures?

Yep it's the silver tolex Jubilee. I don't have any pics at this moment but it is the short head version and can go from 50watts to 25 watts. My DSL 100 is in silver tolex also and was a limited run.

tudor
Guitar God

Post by tudor » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:00 pm

I've posted already in the amp's section ...

I have 2 Fenders, a Deluxe Reverb RI with a ToneTubby and a BluesDeVille 4x10 Blue AlNiCos ...
... and two ex-cabs with Tonetubbys and Weber BlueDog AlNiCos.

The Tokai sounds great with all of my amps - she has the DiMarzios ...

... but I have a set of Jim Wagner's Fillmores laying around and I like to try it in my old Lady ...

The Amps give all the sound I want them to do - TS-9, Damage Control Demonizer and Radial Tonebone give their very best ...

Roger

PaulS
Plucker

Post by PaulS » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:58 pm

Tokai Gold top with P90's(Wolfetone) into an Ampeg SJ-12R an awesome sound. Ampeg has 12" emminence legend speaker. Guitar also has RS guitarworks premium upgrade package installed.

TSL
Guitar God

Post by TSL » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:51 pm

While I mostly play that "G" brand of guitars (sorry, as you guys are much more fun than my fellow "G" owners), when I was in the UK earlier this year I fell in love with Tokai! Since returning, I have only bought one, and it's a real decent FB-53 (MIK). However, I have played pro for 30 years, always managed to snatch failure from the jaws of success at the last possible moment...

All that means I've had a zillion amps (as well as plenty of early '60s Gs and Fenders). Everything from Matchless to Roland JC. In my living room is one of the first Music Man amps made (#000079). I gave up the boutique amp for more versitility (a Marshall) when I was coaxed into performing covers again locally a couple years ago. Suprised how much I like the Marshall DSL... More w/ Humbuckers than w/ a Strat, though that's OK too.

WHY did I post this self indulgent crap? Because I have recently found:

18watt.com

A forum of people who make (from kits), or just plain buy them pre-assembled, ready to go, versions of the short lived 18 watt Marshall (think mini Bluesbreaker combo). These amps seem WAY too cool to not buy one-so I will! This forum is full of people who rewire and such, any serious DIYers should consider an 18wt kit, or just buy one made. The copies are similar to Tokai in that they are HUGE value for the dollar, and more like the old school product than the current "reissue" stuff".

bruno
Guitar God

Post by bruno » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:05 am

the 18 watt is a great amp... very well defined. Gets you really close to the "beano" type sound too if you want, or even some AC/DC...

Be careful though, the 18 watts are deceiving, just like the tweed deluxe, they're very loud amps... even though some people might think not.

bluesbreaker18
Plucker

18 watt heaven

Post by bluesbreaker18 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:18 am

bruno, you're definitely correct. I've built several tube amps, and the 18watt is, by far, the most surprising (so far). The amp is indeed very loud with an efficient speaker. The tone is amazing. It complements my Tokai LS90 as well as my Fender Strat.

With the amp cranked past 5 on the volume, its a perfect "brown" crunch. Thick and beefy -- think AC/DC "Back in Black". Rolling off the guitar's volume knob brings the amp back into the "clean" world -- the cleans are warm (not chimey). The amp is also very touch sensitive, so you can really hear the difference between lightly picking and "digging" into a note. Its sad that many amps lose this dynamic characteristic when the volume is cranked.

I'm using a 1x12 closed-back cab, loaded with an Eminence GB12. Celestion Heritage 12"s sound great as well. I've also heard great things about Sammi (but I haven't tried them). I will say that Jensons sounded badly with this amp.

Rossi
Guitar God

Post by Rossi » Sun Nov 19, 2006 10:33 am

Only one for me Marshall 100w

jawilluk
Guitar God

Post by jawilluk » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:00 pm

The Laney VC15-110 is an amazing little amp. It's only let down slightly by the limited low end of it's 10" speaker. On mids and highs the amp and speaker really sparkle. There is an extension speaker output but this cuts off the internal Jensen driver so if you plug in a cab with bigger speakers they're all you'll hear. I've tried it with a G12 Vintage 30 and a Marshall 2x12 and although the bottom end is fuller, the 12" just aren't as crisp and clear. So in the end I got a Laney 1x12 cab and modified the speaker output to have the internal 10" and external 12" wired in series. This gives 16ohms which is a safe load for the amp and the sound is not lacking anything now.

This amp is brilliant for single coil sounds and almost as good with humbuckers. Plus it's really small and easy to carry round. All in all I think this little amp is probably the best value for money there is at the moment. I have been using a Cornford Harlequin which is a lovely amp but the Laney gives it a good run at half the price and size.

By the way, I'm not a dealer and I don't work for Laney. :wink: :D

Crazy_Joe
Guitar God

Post by Crazy_Joe » Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:19 pm

My Tokai EX-85 Explorer loves my new Laney GH50L :D