Pickup Covers - On Or Off?

Tokai guitar discussion

Moderators: ian, ned

Nine Acres
Power chords are my friend

Pickup Covers - On Or Off?

Post by Nine Acres » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:04 am

I've read that somewhere on the Seymour Duncan website that there is an improvement of between 15-20% with the covers off humbuckers. I must admit, I'm a bit short of experience on this one. What experience do you guys have in regard?

frpax
Guitar God

Post by frpax » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:41 am

I don't think that the covers affect the impedence that much. I do think they affect the tone. I'l say that it is niether a positive or negative affect, but your pups will sound different. It's up to you and your ears to determine weather you like it or not.

Paladin2019
Guitar God

Re: Pickup Covers - On Or Off?

Post by Paladin2019 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:14 am

Nine Acres wrote:I've read that somewhere on the Seymour Duncan website that there is an improvement of between 15-20% with the covers off humbuckers. I must admit, I'm a bit short of experience on this one. What experience do you guys have in regard?
15-20% "improvement"? Improvement in what? How do they measure it? Sounds fishy to me.

Modern covers have little to no effect on tone, though some say that you lose a small amount of output and treble when you use them, which could be a good thing - smoothing out the pickups' tone.

But mostly it's about looks.

bruceboomstick
Guitar God

Post by bruceboomstick » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:27 am

Modern covers have little to no effect on tone, though some say that you lose a small amount of output and treble when you use them, which could be a good thing - smoothing out the pickups' tone.
I'd agree with that - If find that covered pickups sound marginally more even than uncovered - but it's barely noticable, in fact in my case it may just be a subjective judgment.

I did once have a set that sounded really kind of "zingy" - not nice - the covers seemed to vibrate at certain frequencies. That was on a cheapy guitar with cheap and very nasty buckers.......

bruno
Guitar God

Post by bruno » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:12 pm

The only good reason for removing them would be if you were aiming towards that Clapton Beano look, grow some side burns, and you've nailed it.
You'll look cool too. Hey he's one of the main reasons for me wanting a plaintop tokai, so bear with me.

Guitargoblin
Guitar God

Post by Guitargoblin » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:56 am

Duncan 59s & Alnico II Pros sound better without covers IMO. But surely the real question is: Pants. On or off? :lol:
Guitar Greed

Nine Acres

Post by Nine Acres » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:57 am

Thank for the input! Much appreciated.

Skybone
Guitar God

Post by Skybone » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:56 am

Bare Knuckle Pickups from Devon, compensate each pickup individually if it's covered or open. If I remember rightly, the cover does dampen some of the top end, but also depends on what material the cover is made of. Chrome affects the top end differently to Nickel and so on...

www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk

They make loads of different pickups for different styles, my 2 Love Rock's have 2 different sets from the "hot vintage" range (one set is open coils, the other chrome covered), and IMHO, they respond much better to the guitar and the player than any mass produced pickups. Plus the fact that they are hand made in the UK, and they don't cost that much more than their mass produced counter-parts in the UK.

Ozeshin
Guitar God

Post by Ozeshin » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:02 am

I'm with Bruno.....my covers are off for purely visual appeal

bruceboomstick
Guitar God

Post by bruceboomstick » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:02 am

Pants. On or off
Everyones welcome to do what they like with their pickups, but the pants have got stay on, no exceptions.

Unless your a member of the chilli peppers, in which case just keep your sock on.

Nine Acres

Post by Nine Acres » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:03 am

Skybone, I completely agree with you about Bare Knuckles - I bought a pair of Mules about 3 years ago. Utterly amazing pickups. Never took the covers off tho'. Sadly, my resources just won't stretch to accommodate another set :cry:

Skybone
Guitar God

Post by Skybone » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:45 am

Sadly, my resources just won't stretch to accommodate another set
That's a real shame, awesome pickups! You could always just buy a single pickup... ;)

Nine Acres

Post by Nine Acres » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:20 am

Ah yes, but you know how it is - she who must be obeyed ... 8)

Skybone
Guitar God

Post by Skybone » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:48 am

There's ways and means mate! ;)

I just managed to talk her into letting me order a new amp & cab... ;)

Nine Acres

Post by Nine Acres » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:56 am

Well, my good lady didn't raise too many eyebrows when I traded in my Indie ILP (the tree of life model - but without the tree of life - If you see what I mean) for the Love Rock - I had to put ?270 towards the Tokai. AND I just got a Duncan '59 this week for the bridge, so I'd better be a good boy for a while :(