What's the name of Tokai factory?

Tokai guitar discussion

Moderators: ian, ned

bruno
Guitar God

Post by bruno » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:23 pm

no ganzua, Springsteen's guitar is an Esquire, it's been modified, you don't need to explain to me the whole story of the "tele-family", I'm quite familiar with it, thank you:
Jimi Hendrix closes the Woodstock festival with "The Star Spangled Banner." George Harrison plays a rosewood body Telecaster guitar in the Beatles' farewell performance atop London's Apple building. Bruce Springsteen buys his now-famous Esquire? guitar.
just to prove my point, taken from: click the link and scroll down to 1969

Any fan of the "Boss", who plays guitar, will tell you, it's an esquire alright.

If you want my personal opinion, go with the Dimarzio collection tele.

Edit: better yet, since you're buying sight unseen anyways, you could purchase a 52 japan neck off of ebay, get a nice ash body from allparts and assemble a great 52 yourself.
Last edited by bruno on Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

sneakyjapan
Guitar God

Post by sneakyjapan » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:16 pm

the manager of a local shop told me FJs were made in 2 factories with the basses being made in another.
If you want a real nice FJ tele, don`t forget Van Zandt or Seymour Duncan...both make great guitars. The VZs are not cheap, even used they can be expensive but they are outstanding guitars. SD`s Traditional line was his low end sries but by no means cheap in quality. The higher up you go in the SD line the better the wood, but any of his would be recommended. I own 3 of the SDs, one from each series and I have a VZ strat...Leo would certanly be proud.
The SDs were made for him by ESP but in 2006, he drastically changed the number of models as well as the design and I believe they are no longer made by ESP. The VZs are made by a company called PGM over here, they make high end guitars for a few brands...Moon being another. The Japabnese are making some excellent guitars these days...keep watching the Ishibashi U-Box and if you see a Duncan or VZ...jump because they go fast.
Also...the Edwards/Duncan teles are very very nice.

bruceboomstick
Guitar God

Post by bruceboomstick » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:27 am

Any fan of the "Boss", who plays guitar, will tell you, it's an esquire alright.
It's definitely an Esquire - if you look at the cover of "Born to Run" you can see Esquire on the headstock

Nine Acres
Power chords are my friend

Post by Nine Acres » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:32 am

I'm not a fan of Bruce Springsteen, in fact there's only so much of the man's music I can listen to. However, the comments made about his guitar in this thread had me reaching for my copy of "Six Decades of the Fender Telecaster (The Story Of The World's First Solid Body Electric Guitar)" by Tony Bacon (published by Backbeat Books, 2005, ISBN 0-87930-856-7) On pages 78 & 79, commenting a photo of the cover of the "Born To Run" album, it reads: "Bruce Springsteen hit it big in the middle of the decade with Born To Run, and on the jacket here you can see him ... brandishing his Esqire, complete with severe pickup modifications". On page 81 we read: "Bruce Springsteen strummed a hard-working Esquire (Telefied with a second pickup)".

Hope this helps clarify things. :)

20 century boy
Guitar God

Post by 20 century boy » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:57 am

Didn't find any DAITA gakki, but there's a DAITO gakki... could this be it?

Some Fender were made at dyna factory also.
nankurunai sa!

ganzua
Guitar God

Post by ganzua » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:02 am

sneakyjapan wrote:the manager of a local shop told me FJs were made in 2 factories with the basses being made in another.
If you want a real nice FJ tele, don`t forget Van Zandt or Seymour Duncan...both make great guitars. The VZs are not cheap, even used they can be expensive but they are outstanding guitars. SD`s Traditional line was his low end sries but by no means cheap in quality. The higher up you go in the SD line the better the wood, but any of his would be recommended. I own 3 of the SDs, one from each series and I have a VZ strat...Leo would certanly be proud.
The SDs were made for him by ESP but in 2006, he drastically changed the number of models as well as the design and I believe they are no longer made by ESP. The VZs are made by a company called PGM over here, they make high end guitars for a few brands...Moon being another. The Japabnese are making some excellent guitars these days...keep watching the Ishibashi U-Box and if you see a Duncan or VZ...jump because they go fast.
Also...the Edwards/Duncan teles are very very nice.
Thanks! sneakyjapan.

I've been reading in the Fenderforum that MIJ Fender Telecaster 52s are very nice instruments, and if they built in Tokai Factory they must be right. Unfortunately I've never had one in my hands.

I wonder which one of these pick ups are the closest sounding pups to the classic Telecaster, like the Bruce's guitar;

http://fenderjapan.co.jp/fender/2006fen ... caster.htm

tl52-78us-> US vintage telecaster pups (these pups are sopposed to be the same pups that in the US Telecaster '52)
tl52-88tx -> US texas special pups (these are not the sound because I heard some samples and are quite more bluesy)
tl52-120dmc -> DiMarzio DCT-1 Classical Vintage (I have no idea)

or in case of changing the pick ups, which brand/set would be the closest sound to the classic tele?
bruceboomstick wrote: It's definitely an Esquire - if you look at the cover of "Born to Run" you can see Esquire on the headstock
Nine Acres wrote:I'm not a fan of Bruce Springsteen, in fact there's only so much of the man's music I can listen to. However, the comments made about his guitar in this thread had me reaching for my copy of "Six Decades of the Fender Telecaster (The Story Of The World's First Solid Body Electric Guitar)" by Tony Bacon (published by Backbeat Books, 2005, ISBN 0-87930-856-7) On pages 78 & 79, commenting a photo of the cover of the "Born To Run" album, it reads: "Bruce Springsteen hit it big in the middle of the decade with Born To Run, and on the jacket here you can see him ... brandishing his Esqire, complete with severe pickup modifications". On page 81 we read: "Bruce Springsteen strummed a hard-working Esquire (Telefied with a second pickup)".

Hope this helps clarify things. :)
Then It must be an esquire :wink:

Does the Tony Bacon book say which pick ups are in Bruce's esquire?

By the way, I have a book by Tony Bacon as well; "The ultimate guitar collection", a very nice book.

bruno
Guitar God

Post by bruno » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:11 am

I told you ganzua... (you also didn't believe me when I told you there are "double esquires" from the beginings of the 50's, but indeed there are some.)

The pickups in that guitar (at least in the rear) are standard fender 50's esquire pickups (much like tele's) and the neck pickup appears to be some sort of 50's tele pickup that Bruce installed there...

I think the 52 american reissue pickups or the dimarzio collection ones will get you close enough to that tone.

8)

edit: like I also told you, I think you'd be well served if you got a 52 japan neck off ebay, and bought an allparts body, and then assembled the whole thing... after all you're buying it without playing anyways.

ganzua
Guitar God

Post by ganzua » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:34 am

bruno wrote: I think the 52 american reissue pickups or the dimarzio collection ones will get you close enough to that tone.
Thanks Bruno!

Which set of dimarzios do you mean here; http://www.dimarzio.com/ ?

Twang Kings?
bruno wrote: edit: like I also told you, I think you'd be well served if you got a 52 japan neck off ebay, and bought an allparts body, and then assembled the whole thing... after all you're buying it without playing anyways.
I really have no idea of how to assemble a whole guitar, specially the electric parts. :oops:

ganzua
Guitar God

Post by ganzua » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:38 am

By the way, I've just found the boss hand;

bruno
Guitar God

Post by bruno » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:59 am

No I was talking about the dimarzios put on the DMC (dimarzio collection by fender japan, the ones with lacquer finish).

I believe you could assemble the guitar really, just ask around the internet (telecaster forum for example is one place to start) pretty soon you'll have plenty info to do it yourself.

If in doubt use msn, I'll try to help you out with whatever I can.

Nine Acres
Power chords are my friend

Post by Nine Acres » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:39 am

Hi Ganzua - I'm sorry but there is no information in Tony Bacon's book about the pickups in Springsteen's Esquire.

frpax
Guitar God

Post by frpax » Sun Oct 22, 2006 1:20 pm

whitehall wrote:It is guarded by... schoolgirls in plaid skirts.
:o
whitehall wrote:No Gajiin allowed.
:-?

Talbo394
I only know 3 chords

Post by Talbo394 » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:10 am

bruno wrote:you could purchase a 52 japan neck off of ebay, get a nice ash body from allparts and assemble a great 52 yourself.
That's what I did except I didn't use a Fender neck. I used an Allparts vintage neck ('C') that I bought with nitro already on it. I also used a USA Fender bridge and neck plate and put sperzel machines on it. I got a EMG T set cheap on ebay and although they don't look vintage the guitar has the '52 vibe all over and it plays and sounds better than any Fender Tele I've played too. All for under $AUD1K

bruno
Guitar God

Post by bruno » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:36 am

That's what I would do too, most definetly... :wink:

ganzua
Guitar God

Post by ganzua » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:00 am

Nine Acres wrote:Hi Ganzua - I'm sorry but there is no information in Tony Bacon's book about the pickups in Springsteen's Esquire.
Thanks for checking the book!

There are rumours that the pickups are waterproofed to prevent all the sweat that falls in the guitar :D
Talbo394 wrote:
bruno wrote:you could purchase a 52 japan neck off of ebay, get a nice ash body from allparts and assemble a great 52 yourself.
That's what I did except I didn't use a Fender neck. I used an Allparts vintage neck ('C') that I bought with nitro already on it. I also used a USA Fender bridge and neck plate and put sperzel machines on it. I got a EMG T set cheap on ebay and although they don't look vintage the guitar has the '52 vibe all over and it plays and sounds better than any Fender Tele I've played too. All for under $AUD1K
bruno wrote:That's what I would do too, most definetly... :wink:
You have to bear in mind some things;

* I've never ever built a guitar. I don't know even all the parts that I need, specially the electronic parts.

* I've never ever used a welder

* I don't know where to purchase the parts and I will probably to import some of them to europe which it is expensieve.

* This one is quite clumsy, let's face it

* I'd like a good guitar and I like '52 model, Fender Japan are nice and I can get a tl52-78us well under 1k$