JSD's GuitarShack

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andersozzy

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Look here:

"PLEASE NOTE: Tokai guitars will no longer be available in Canada once current supply runs out so if your interested in one get your orders in now. Supply and finish selection is limited."

http://www.jsdguitarshack.com/tokai_love_rock.html

Sad but true :cry:

Anders
Sweden

I wonder if it has anything to do with some of the bigger music store chains carrying them. Mother's Music which is a big chain here in Western Canada just began carrying the entire Korean Tokai line just a month ago. They may have secured an exclusive deal with Tokai. :(

The hammer has fallen for Tokai "copy" guitars in all North America.

Its ALL of Tokai guitars in Canada, not just me.

There is no real story. That certain company doesn't want Tokai "copy" style guitars available here and they have the money and power to get the job done. Tokai is done with being harrased and so is the Canadian distributor.

JSD said:
There is no real story. That certain company doesn't want Tokai "copy" style guitars available here and they have the money and power to get the job done. Tokai is done with being harrased and so is the Canadian distributor.

That's it! I'll never buy a Fender or Gibson again. Not that I need to, I have a nice bunch of Tokai's that'll last my lifetime. Of course it's nice to buy a new guitar now and then but it'll never be a Gibson, Fender or any of their brands again.

I know Gibson tried to stop Tokai Gibson replicas in Sweden a few years ago and the distributor gave up but fortunately another (larger) company continued importing them.

Mike

Bearing in mind that Gibson guitars cost so much more than Tokai I can't see what the big G can gain by doing stuff like this. I doubt that they'll sell any more guitars - simply because people who are looking in the Tokai price range have a lot of other choices (maybe Ibanez or ESP may be the real winners).

Of course this adds to the mystique of Tokai and may make them even more desirable - so I wonder if Japanese suppliers will see an increase in business.

Overall I think it's a real shame that people can't buy the guitars they want anymore.

well that rips it... I say we Canadians should cross the border and kick some U.S. butt, I mean who do they think they are...but since I`m over here...you`ll have to start without me... `K ?

Two words: NEW BURNYs !!! these come from China now and are great guitars for the price. I have 2 of them, they run about $500 shipped.

javelin70 said:
That's it! I'll never buy a Fender or Gibson again.Mike

Why !

Because Gibson want to protect there design , there workforce, there company ?????

The problem I have with Gibson is that they produce an overpriced pile of sh!t and when another manufacturer improves the quality on a similar design for half the price........Gibson tries to throw their weight around but it didnt work in their case against PRS. The court sited that they were being selective in copyright enforcement. The truth is....... They only go after the people who are kicking their *** in quality and price.

I just bought a Tokai LP from Kevin (JSD) today. Kevin, thanks again. Hopefully this will not be my last one.

Clay said:
The problem I have with Gibson is that they produce an overpriced pile of sh!t .

I'm sure there rather large and extensive customer base also agree with you. Amazing how many famous guitarists over the years choose to play overpriced piles of **** when they have money to burn :roll:

Clay said:
Gibson tries to throw their weight around .

Read my other posts on here. Gibson are ONE of the only companys who are laid back and dont take enough action. Gibson fakes are currently being sold from within Canada and to date they have not acted. They let ebay sell all sorts of Gibson copy stuff breaking Tradmark and Patent acts.

Clay said:
They only go after the people who are kicking their *** in quality and price.

Well that aint MIK Tokais then, becasue we have already established on here that they are built to a very low quality :roll:

Donkey Oaty said:
Because Gibson want to protect there design , there workforce, there company ?????

They didn't seem too bothered when Gretsch brought out the duo jet in the 60's. Fact is they've only had copyright on the les paul since 1987 - it took them 35 years. No beaurocrat is that slow.

If you can't compete in the marketplace, compete in the courtroom. Healthy competition is good for any brand. Heck, japanese clones from the 70's were a key driving force in creating the historic reissue market.

Paladin2019 said:
They didn't seem too bothered when Gretsch brought out the duo jet in the 60's. Fact is they've only had copyright on the les paul since 1987 - it took them 35 years. No beaurocrat is that slow.

Both Gibson and Fender were never bothered in the 60's. But both companys have changed ownership a few times since then.

The Gibson that took PRS to court was not the Gibson in the 60's. Perhpaps they have now woke up to the fact that they have a brand to protect.

If you invented a widget and people were stealing your idea, I bet you would take action to protect your investment ( and that of your buyers )

Paladin2019 said:
If you can't compete in the marketplace, compete in the courtroom. Healthy competition is good for any brand. Heck, japanese clones from the 70's were a key driving force in creating the historic reissue market.

I agree 100%

What I cannot stand is people slagging of a Guitar Brand for no real reason? Tokai copied Gibson and Fender because they had a good product, you dont copy crap !

But people who buy and own Tokai's and a tendancy to come out with blanket statements that all Gibsons are ***** ?

I own Tokai, Gibson, Fender, PRS and many others and I buy all of them on merit. I have had some rough old Tokais and rough old Gibsons.

I just cannot understand peoples mindset when they come out with crap such as the poster I quoted :-?

Donkey Oaty said:
But people who buy and own Tokai's and a tendancy to come out with blanket statements that all Gibsons are ***** ?

I just cannot understand peoples mindset when they come out with crap such as the poster I quoted :-?

How about your blanket statement that Korean Love Rocks are junk?

Donkey Oaty said:
Well that aint MIK Tokais then, becasue we have already established on here that they are built to a very low quality.

You did the same thing as the person you quoted. Mines a great guitar. I think you owe an appology to the MIK owners.

Donkey Oaty said:
If you invented a widget and people were stealing your idea, I bet you would take action to protect your investment ( and that of your buyers ).

**** right. But I wouldn't wait 35 years to do it, and if I did I certainly wouldn't expect to find the system sympathetic to me. After three decades, with a break in production in between, I'd expect my invention to be practically public domain.

Donkey Oaty said:
What I cannot stand is people slagging of a Guitar Brand for no real reason? Tokai copied Gibson and Fender because they had a good product, you dont copy crap !

I agree. Fender and gibson's designs are classics, but their implementation of those designs is what most people question. Some of it is sour grapes, but there is a ligitimate argument to be made. "Rocker" neck joint anyone?

Donkey Oaty said:
But people who buy and own Tokai's and a tendancy to come out with blanket statements that all Gibsons are ***** ?:?

They shouldn't, and they are wrong. You can talk about the corporate stupidity, lazy QC, poor value for money etc. but to say they're all crap guitars is a mistake.

Donkey Oaty said:
I own Tokai, Gibson, Fender, PRS and many others and I buy all of them on merit. I have had some rough old Tokais and rough old Gibsons.

I own tokai, fender and a taylor and none were bought because of the name. Ironically I only bought the fender because I couldn't afford a G&L or Gordon Smith.

Having said that, I've seen very few crap tokais but some absolutely shocking ?1000+ fenders and gibsons.

Donkey Oaty said:
Clay said:
The problem I have with Gibson is that they produce an overpriced pile of sh!t .

I'm sure there rather large and extensive customer base also agree with you. Amazing how many famous guitarists over the years choose to play overpriced piles of ^&*( when they have money to burn :roll:
Gibson made some great guitars in the original Kalamazoo factory. When they moved to Nashville they sacked nearly all of the Kalamazoo employees and changed their manufacturing process (and started using cheaper materials) to boost production and cut costs. The Kalamazoo factory and original employees became "The Heritage" guitar company. Heritage blows Gibson away in quality but people will still buy a Gibson simply out of name recognition. I've bought 5 Gibson Les Pauls before I knew any better and only one turned out to be a really good guitar (78' Custom).

Latest posts

Back