Tokai SG And Love Rock Advice Please?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smarty

Reaction score
I have been playing for about a year now and have a Vintage SG copy, very good guitar for the money but I want to upgrade. I had toyed with the idea of upgrading the Vintage's pickups as it is very well made. But I think I am going to go for a more expensive guitar. I love SG's and that would be my first choice. I can get a Japanese SG60 from a respected dealer over here in the UK for about 500GBP. I could also get a Japanese Love Rock LS60/65 for around the same price. Or again I could get a Gibson SG special for not much more, but I hate the finishes of these guitars, if it was a Gibson it would have to be the SG standard which is around 900GBP :eek:

Also looking on Egay there are some SG's for around 300GBP and also many Love Rock's ALS48's for around the same price too. I am assuming that these are made in Korea and best off avoided?

Just wondered what the SG is like? As there is plenty of information on here about the Les Paul but not the SG. Obviously it is because they are used by a greater amount of guitarists in different music genres, whereas I guess the SG is mainly associated with Angus Young, Tony Iommi etc (in my favourite 2 bands). Is this Tokai SG as highly rated as the Love Rocks for similar prices? Please bear in mind that I am not bothered about resale prices, as if this was the case the Les Paul would obviously be a better buy.

Thanks for any advice :wink:

Hey Smarty - sg60/70s are fantastic - I'm always on here raving about mine. Best neck I've ever played and fantastic value for money. I could be persuaded to part with mine (I have a costly Jazzmaster addiction) - mail me at [email protected] if you're interested!

PS. If this is seen as spamming, eds feel free to chastise and delete me.[/i]

I have a tokai sg60/70 and I love it. It is my number one guitar. When I got it I also looked at plenty of gibson SG specials just like you, but I decided on the Tokai. I would definatly reccomend it (though obviously not to the exclusion of other guitars - I have heard for example very good things about the Orville guitars). I would assume those ebay guitars at that price point were koreans, I havn't seen the MIJ SG for that low, I got mine for ?400 brand new. My personal advise would be to play the actual guitar you buy before you buy it, seems obvious but sometimes overlooked.

Anyway good luck with your search! Post back when you decide!

I agree playing the guitar is the best idea before buying, the problem is I live in a remote area of the UK and the only music shop close to me has rip-off prices and I do not think that they sell Tokai's. Still it is probably worth a 150 mile drive to a decent shop when spending so much cash. Whats the neck like on the SG60/70? It is fairly thick on my Vintage SG copy, I do not mind this really though. I guess I should definitely try one though before buying :wink:

The neck's where the tone lives! Quite a substantial neck on the SG60 - that's what clinched it for me (and I'm pretty much a single-coil purist). It's a fast neck mind, very playable. Whereabouts in the UK are you?

smarty said:
I have been playing for about a year now and have a Vintage SG copy, very good guitar for the money but I want to upgrade. I had toyed with the idea of upgrading the Vintage's pickups as it is very well made. But I think I am going to go for a more expensive guitar. I love SG's and that would be my first choice. I can get a Japanese SG60 from a respected dealer over here in the UK for about 500GBP. I could also get a Japanese Love Rock LS60/65 for around the same price. Or again I could get a Gibson SG special for not much more, but I hate the finishes of these guitars, if it was a Gibson it would have to be the SG standard which is around 900GBP :eek:

Also looking on Egay there are some SG's for around 300GBP and also many Love Rock's ALS48's for around the same price too. I am assuming that these are made in Korea and best off avoided?

Just wondered what the SG is like? As there is plenty of information on here about the Les Paul but not the SG. Obviously it is because they are used by a greater amount of guitarists in different music genres, whereas I guess the SG is mainly associated with Angus Young, Tony Iommi etc (in my favourite 2 bands). Is this Tokai SG as highly rated as the Love Rocks for similar prices? Please bear in mind that I am not bothered about resale prices, as if this was the case the Les Paul would obviously be a better buy.

Thanks for any advice :wink:

That?s a lot of questions, however ...

Did I get you right that you would prefer an SG? So there is no need to talk or bother about a Love Rock.

Made in Korea (MIK) are not to be avoided, they are decent guitars, but do not reach the supreme quality of MIJ. That?s all.

Villager?s offer does not sound bad, does it?

Other chance: I am quite sure if you contact forum member togps he can offer you an SG MIK or MIJ. He is trustworthy and usually has a range of used and new ones. Shipping them from GER to UK will not cause any extra taxes or customs.

I do prefer the SG but would buy a Love Rock also. I think the reason that I mentioned the Love Rock is that there are a lot more of them about, and the MIK ALS48 is quite a bit cheaper, although it is made out of different materials. Again I am no expert so I would not know what difference these materials make. Villagers offer does sound fine and is well worth thinking about :wink:

How about one of these :

USG100

usg100.jpg

Less then 18 months old in mint ( as new ) condition. Been used a handful of times for under ?400.

Got to be a steal at that price.

Back