Love Rock Wiring

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GARAGERAT

Reaction score
New (6 days old) Love Rock (Korean/Canadian). Here's the deal.

With the pickup selector switch in the middle position, and all Vol and Tone knobs on 10, turning Vol knob for bridge pickup to zero causes both bridge and neck pickups to go silent.

With the pickup selector switch in the middle position and all Vol and
Tone knobs back to 10, turning Vol knob for neck pickup to zero causes both neck and bridge pickups to go silent.

With the pickup selector switch in the middle position and all Vol and
Tone knobs back to 10 I can tap on the pickups and tell they are both working. Both pickups work independently when Rythm or Treble are selected as they should. Turning the Neck Vol down when playing through the bridge does nothing and vice versa, again, as it should be.

Is this the way it's supposed to work???? I've never had a Love Rock or a Gibson but the other copies I've had didn't work this way. Any thoughts? Is this thing wired wrong?[/b]

Yes, that's the way all my les paul copies work. I think that's the standard way to wire it ... you get nothing if either volume is down
all the way in the middle position. I think my SGs are the same that
way.

Thanks,
Bill

ive had a couple of gibbos over the years as well as 7 tokais thats the way the all worked

I will have to double check here, but I am 99.9999 certain I FREQUENTLY turn down either PU with the switch in the middle and still have the other one work (if you are playing on both PUs, then want to immediately do a swell, you would have to depend on this function).

Maybe I subconciously do something else to get the swells, I will have to check. Still, I've owned scads of Gibs, and now have a Tokai as well, and I don't recall this ever happening, but as I said, I'll check.

Same on my Tokai and non tokai SG and LPs. This has always been my experience, though I have often wanted it not this way.

TSL said:
I will have to double check here, but I am 99.9999 certain I FREQUENTLY turn down either PU with the switch in the middle and still have the other one work (if you are playing on both PUs, then want to immediately do a swell, you would have to depend on this function).

Maybe I subconciously do something else to get the swells, I will have to check. Still, I've owned scads of Gibs, and now have a Tokai as well, and I don't recall this ever happening, but as I said, I'll check.

It is possible to wire it so that you can have one volume on 0 and still get a signal, but this is a mod. 99% of dual-volume controlled guitars will be wired to be muted with 1 volume at 0.

Same on my Tokais (both of them).... turn down the vol on one of the pickups in the middle position and no sound will come out... :wink:

All the guitars I have had with 2 vol pots have been the same - IMO it's blessing as it's one less bet of tone juggling.

I suppose if you could have both pickups active at the same time and have seperate volume control, then you could do away with the selector switch..............now that I think of it my bass works that way - no selector just 2 vol pots (doesn't make for quick changing though)

I think it's a real limitation to have the wiring as Tokai does. The tones on the middle selector switch are amazing when you can blend the volumes from the treb and rhythm pickups. I like to have it on the middle selector with 10 on treble and about 4 on rhythm. Gives a very vocal lead sound.

Thanks for all the input guys. Like I said it seemed wierd but I wasn't sure. What does anyone think of a pickup, pots and caps upgrade in the future? Is it worth the time?

Back