My G string goes ping!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MASTER VOLUME

Reaction score
I have recently got a tokai LS80F in violin finish and love it, the best guitar i have played. I changed the factory strings as soon as i got it because they weren't very good and put on a set of ernie ball hybrid slinkys,which sound great.
But, when tuning the g string up to pitch,when it gets very close to being perfectly in tune it goes 'ping' and jumps up a 1/4 of a tone and then is sharp..
Has anyone else experienced this or know how to fix it?

Sounds like the slot in the nut is causing the string to hang there until sufficient pressure causes it to release with a ping and changes the pitch.

Before attempting to file the groove in the nut, try rubbing the tip of a sharpened pencil in it to get a little graphite in it or try a product like Nut Sauce - both will offer some lubrication and allow the string to slide better.

If that doesn't work and a visual inspection shows that the string doesn't sit down into the slot all the way, then it needs to be filed down a bit to widen the slot. But be careful when you do this - you don't want to deepen the groove - just widen it a bit.

Marcus

hey....I'd have posted the same question but its just not as funny with a D String!! Anyhow, did you manage to solve it? I changed the strings today and its still doing the same thing. I also have another problem on the same string where I turn the peg but it doesn't tighten the string, its as though its slipping. Its wound around a good few times though. Any ideas before I take it back to the shop?

Classic badly cut nut slot. I like to use a knife to scrape just a little graphite into the slot, and sometimes I'll put a tiny dab of vaseline in there too.

If that doesn't fix it, I'd take it to a pro. Nut filing is pretty intricate work and when it goes wrong it goes very wrong. Not something I'd tackle myself.

There is the right way and wrong way to set your strings. It sounds like you may want to consider looking up the way a luthier would do your string installation. They lock the strings to the post with a nifty little not, It's very simple but many guitarists over look this very important method of stringing your guitar. The graphite is a wonderfull trick that always helps any guitar tune better. I change my strings every two or three days or more if I'm playing alot, and its second nature to do the locking method. You could allways get a set of locking tuners, that will solve the problem.

Mark :D

I have put some pencil graphite in the nut slot and it seems to have fixed it for now. Thinking about buying some of that nut sauce as well.
Hey, sscanlan, sounds like you have got a more serious tuning problem,maybe a faulty tuner? have you tried stretching the strings by tuniing up and down a few times? What guitar is it and what strings are you using?

Hey.
Its an LS60 and I've just put some Ernie Ball Hybrids on it. How does the graphite work?

I might try the idea of putting a knot in the string. I've not trimmed the spare ends off the strings yet so presumably I can just take them off and put them back on again?

Spence

Ahhhhh Tokai's biggest failing strikes again. I have as ES100 and an LS200 and both have the pinging issue. The nut sauce or the pencil is enough for me! I guess I'll let time fix the actual issue! ;)

Its an LS60 and I've just put some Ernie Ball Hybrids on it. How does the graphite work?

Graphites a lubricating agent - it allows the sting to move smoothly through the nut.

The nuts do seem to be a bit of an achilles heel - but I've had many guitars that suffer like this initially then kind of sort themselves out as the string beds in and the nut becomes a bit looser.

Now I have to lay downs as this talk of pinging g strings and lubricating agents is making me a bit nervous...........

sscanlan said:
I might try the idea of putting a knot in the string. I've not trimmed the spare ends off the strings yet so presumably I can just take them off and put them back on again?

Bad idea. Best to just try it with your next set.

QuattroSte said:
Ahhhhh Tokai's biggest failing strikes again. I have as ES100 and an LS200 and both have the pinging issue.

Mine had it too, but it was cured when I had a tech I trust do a setup on it.

You'd never believe how hard it was just to find a **** pencil!!! Anyway, I've just scraped a bit of pencil in the nut slot and hey presto both the problems have gone. Thanks for the tips guys.

Oh, I didn't try the knot in the string, will give it a go on the next string change.

Latest posts

Back