Mij vs korean

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had info on the korean made Tokai. Are they worth it? people wouldnt give mij a second look years ago, but they were fooled.

They're good for the money, but personally I don't think they have anything that really sets them apart at that price point apart from the name and the mostly accurate shape/dimensions.

They're certainly better than Epiphone however.

Regarding the not-too-distant future; I own a MIK fender and I'm VERY impressed with it. They're fast catching up with MIJ down there. I prefer my tele to the US teles I tried recently that cost twice as much, but some of that was probably down to owner's pride. :lol:

Lionel,

Here's my experience with MIK Tokai. First, should say I've played professionally (mostly regionally, I'm no household name) for nearly 30 years. Never heard of Tokai till a couple years ago. The Japanese companies that sold copy guitars in the Midwest were always junk in my mind.

Recently, while on the other side of the Atlantic, I played several Tokais in stores. While the MIJ are incredible instruments, but I found the MIK to have the finish quality and feel pretty much just like a Gib MIUSA, the type you buy for $1000-1200 (not as nice of course as the high buck Gibs, or the amazing MIJ Tokais).

So, I ordered a Firebird from Ishibashi in Japan. It's a MIK, and while the wood isn't Mahogany (Maple set neck, Ash body) and the finish is surely Poly and not Nitro, the quality and playbility is excellent. The control cavity is coated with some sort of shielding paint, the tuners are terrific, all around a great instrument. Not even going to replace the PUs, which I thought I may have to. I imagine the rosewood on the fingerboard isn't from quite as nice a tree as Gib used, but the guitar is easily on par with my Gib V I bought new last year for $1200. With the case I had to buy separately, and shipping, and customs, I've got about $550.00 invested in this 'Bird. I played it all last set at a recent gig, wiped it down, put it in it's case. Two days and a reheasal later I still haven't had to retune it, not a single string!

Be aware, if you do go for a Tokai V, they are all MIK, and the ones you buy straight from Japan (VERY inexpensive, and super fast shipping) are bolt on necks only! If you want a Tokai V with a set neck, those are MIK EXPORT ONLY, you have to get it from the UK, and it will cost more, but still be reasonable. With shipping and customs, you may not save much at all over buying an off the rack Gib V.

Some people feel the MIK are only slightly better than the Epiphones, I personally find a world of difference. I would not buy an Epi for even $50.00

Oh, my other guitars are a Fender USA '57 reissue, the Gib V, a Kalamazoo made Gib LP, and a Martin D28. Noone is more surprised than me how much I like this 'Bird.

Let us know what you do Lionel!

MIK Tokais we get here in Canada are a good product and yes they are better then your standard line of Epi guitars.

Hows this for a GT with P-90....

love_rock_gt_p901.jpg

nice guitar, it this the one on ebay? gold is nice but i had a copperishgold top 52 reissue tele(usa) and I got tired of the color fast. I think its the sparkles that bothered me

Thats it, but I know I saw a brown one sonewhere. George Harrison had a cherry one, either he got it or it went to Clapton. Can you order direct from tokai? Here in the states there is no one you can deal with.

for what it's worth - I bought a used MIK LoveRock with the decal flame - I laugh at the smudge next to the neck and the part that misses the lower edge 'cause otherwise it plays and sounds killer AND stays in tune forever.

I sanded off the edge at the top and on the lip on the back, dressed the frets and had a friend set it up - it's awesome. I luv going between it and my '81 Custom - they complement each other very finely.

btw, Korea is where it's at man !! :D

For ordering, JSD here on the forum can take care of you, or you can order direct from Ishibashi in Japan. Ishibashi have a guy who can respond to email orders in reasonable English, but write VERY plainly. If you have specific questions, it may be better to deal with JSD. Ishibashi ships via EMS, EXTREMELY FAST, the customs office will take longer than the actual shipping. Most people in the US say they avoided customs when getting thier guitar via EMS, I did have to pay about 10% (it went through the Chicago customs office, don't know if that was the difference or not).

There are links to Ishibashi all over this Forum, and JSD has posted on this thread. I spoke on the phone with that store, and they are pretty nice guys. Apparently coming from Canada there isn't a customs fee, but it may be slightly more than ordering a MIK from Japan. Good luck, post a photo when you get your new guitar.

This isnt the first time i heard someone say the frets needed alittle dressing. I had bought a 335 epi in 96? and it was mik. I was so upset in a matter of a week. The pearloids in the frets sank in two spots, the frets were not pressed in fully on the lower half and tuning it sucked. well fender took it back an said it was a lemon and gave me a choice of another instrument w a discount at my localshop at time (i knew the owner) I wound up buying a 52 reissue(us) tele. Ive owned lots of guitars and lots of styles, hard to choose model everytime.

Fret finishing, inlays etc., have been very good on the MIKs I've played, but I've only played some of them in the last 2 months. Prior to that, I can't say.

I'm having my luthier look at the frets now, as I suspect there could be the tinyest bit of a high spot around the 12th fret, but then I like very low action. If if actually dresses them, or urns the truss rod, I can't guess, but it's only been in the country a couple weeks.

I definitely like the finish better on the MIJ models, its more of a thin skin laquer feel. However, the MIK models I have inspected and played have all had high quality woods, good fretwork, decent pickups, and were well constructed.

I'm with you, the MIJ are better, I am just vocal about the MIK because they are credible instruments, and are IMO much better than the less expensive lines and models offered by the big names.

Latest posts

Back