Hard Case for a Tokai Firebird?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSL

Reaction score
Since Tokai ship with soft cases, I assume that means a Gig Bag, what hard case can I buy that will fit a FB-53?

I see the Epiphone cases are readily available, but will it fit? Is there a better option?

Thanks.

Does your FB-53 have the banjo tuners?

If so, it probably won't fit into the Epiphone Firebird case.

I tried my Orville by Gibson Firebird (with banjo tuners) in one and it wouldn't close.

I haven't found a reasonably priced option yet.

From what I can tell, the FB53 has "normal" tuners, and is similar to the Epi version, so it SHOULD fit the Epi case.

OT BTW... I WANT A TOKAI FIREBIRD!!! But I guess I'll just have to be happy with my Ibanez Iceman's (Icemen?) instead... ;)

I'm looking for a case for a Korean Tokai Firebird with regular in-line tuners, not banjo, so I'll probably try the Epiphone. If it doesn't work, I'll just have to custom order a flight case. These guitars do have vulnerable headstocks afterall...

If others are looking for a Tokai Firebird as well, and willing to settle for a new Korean one, plenty of stores in the UK have them on ebay.co.uk. I would suggest Ishibashi in Japan, or richtonemusic.co.uk. Otherwise, there is a guy in Thunder Bay Ontario who is getting in some Dillion 'Birds, that are supposed to be the same guitar.

If you aren't going to buy a "G" 'bird, really the Korean ones are nice, the Epi's I've played had real problems, but I suppose you can get an individual good or bad guitar from any company. Ordering on the web takes either bit of faith, or thhe willingness to spend a bit to have a proper local luthier tweak the instrument a bit. Guess I am for both..

Happy to buy an Orville!!! Find me one, and while your at it, how about a custom color (lol).

Hey Skybone, you are in South Yorkshire, there are plenty of Korean birds in stores there. The all gold one upstairs at the Liverpool Dawson's is particularly nice. Really, really nice. Buy it myself but afraid of the customs fee. Noone can tell me in advance what it will be...and it already has had money tacked on for the import to UK costs, no desire to pay duty twice!

Thanks Orv, my Epi case arrived today, and so did the guitar! The case actually is nicer than the one that was picked in the ad. It's actually a TKL. Guitar fits perfect. While it may be Korean, it feels pretty good. There is one small spot on the body you could call a flaw, a very slight shallow area, over sanding over sanding or something, but compared to the Epi's I've played, this is like a cusom shop instrument!

I set the action down low, and there is only two spots where a fret is a bit high. Neck very straight, finish nice, the tuners feel good, the control cavity is shielded, PUs sound good, no noise. How do Epiphone stay in business?

My collection will be growing with the MIJ Tokai next.

Ishibashi were fantastic to deal with. Guitar left Japan on Monday, sat in customes for two days in the USA, then to me the next day. I did have to pay about 9% COD (total guitar and shipping) for customs duty fee. Still, it cost me less than an Epi 'Bird, and is a better instrument!

Thanks to everyone here for helping me out!

Latest posts

Back