Buying Korean Tokais

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TSL

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am going to order a Tokai MIJ guitar or two from Ishibashi this week (I live in the USA), but I also am interested in a FV style. Ishiashi only seem to sell the MIJ, and the Japanese Tokai FVs are all bolt on Necks. The Korean ones are set neck, which I perfer. Also, it seems the Korean ones have wider color choices.

Having played some Korean Tokais, while very picky, I am comfortable with the quality (find it VASTLY superior to Epiphone) and would like to buy one. I know I can order them though the UK, where there are plenty in stock from reputable dealers...but it does seem silly to buy one from there, and pay extra just to have it shipped a second time over the ocean.

Anyone know of a store in Japan, or Korean (or anywhere else) where I can buy Korean Tokais, ideally with EMS shipping?

For the record, I'm not just being cheap. I play professionally, and already own many expensive Gibs, Martins, and Fenders. I just would like a few other classic styles partly for show, and partly to not have to carry intsruments with me all the time. Want to just be able to leave some in various locations (rehearsal, studio, home, etc.)

Thanks very much for any insight.

Where are you located, is buying from Canada an option for you?

The problem as I understand it with the product in Canada is that it is actually Dillion, and not truely Tokai. Also, the models available seem quite limited. There are real cosmetic differences I've seen on the web between the Tokai, and the Dillion.

While I have no reason to doubt the quality of Dillion, I have no proof of the quality either. The Tokai I am familiar with, and have confidence in.

TSL said:
..... but I also am interested in a FV style. Ishiashi only seem to sell the MIJ, and the Japanese Tokai FVs are all bolt on Necks.

AFAIK, there are no Tokai MIJ FV's available since the last 15 years.

AFAIK? I don't know what that means.

If Dillion and Tokai are truely the same thing, why the different name? Also, the Dillions I've seen on the web have different headstock shapes than Tokai.

I also had a dealer in Canada tell me if I wanted a Dillion V, it would be a few months. I could order one from the UK (at considerably more cost) and have it in a week.

When buying a guitar without having held it in my hands, I am a bit more hesitant when I've never seen/played the brand in person.

No one on this Forum that I've seen yet has stated Tokai, and Dillion are the same. In fact, someone else asked what the story is on the two brands. Looking for enlightenment here, fill me in! Thanks.

AFAIK = as far as I know

Many companies release products they make under different brand names, allows for different price points and marketing strategies.

Audi and Volkswagon for instance. The A4 and Pasat are the same car but not 100% identical. There are differences that allow the two cars to be marketed to 2 different groups of people.

Thanks for the reply Ned.

I have of course seen this in cars. I would've thought the Tokai name was good enough to not nessesitate them offering different names. I also know the difference between Gib and Epi is HUGE!

It is the small differences in the Dillions that give me pause, only because I've not played one. Some of the cosmetic differences I've seen weren't appealing to my taste. Also, selection that is near enough (it would take two days to drive round trip) to consider going to play one appears small. It may make more sense to order something I am confident I will like, even if it's a few more dollars than take the time and expense of traveling to check out something else.

Either way, I am likely to soon be a proud owner of a guitar (or guitars) made outside the USA! I was always very unlikely to take Tokai seriously, --- until I played some. Now I know better!

Latest posts

Back