LS200 Identification (pics added)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuattroSte

Reaction score
I received my LS200 from Japan yesterday. WOW :eek: What a beautiful guitar. Its a 2000 model but new. No marks or anything but the fretboard was quite dirty. I cleaned it with a soft cloth and some Lem oil. (Don't go mad now it made it a lot better) Anyway, there are no defining marks on it to let me know it is a 200 model other than the registration card. I took out the neck pup and there is nothing on it at all. Also you can't see the truss rod (is this the right term!) where the neck joins the body! Did I not hear something about long tenon model or am I way off? Also no fret edge binding.

I'll post some pics this evening.

Does anyone have specs on the 2000 LS 200 model?

Pics here
http://homepage.mac.com/ste_mooney/PhotoAlbum5.html

Hmm. Mine has a number and what appears to be a date written in the neck cavity - did you check the bridge cavity?

Top of the ls-200 checklist would be the ebony fretboard, non-bound fret ends and solid flamed top (check the grain lines and join line on the surface and in the cavity).

The 2000-ish models didn't have a long tenon, they had a modified version of the standard japanese 'extended' tenon.

They should have standard japanese electronics - green tone capacitors, MIJ pots etc., and standard hardware.

I think they had gotoh MK I pickups as well.

Put all those together and you have yourself an LS200.

No les paul has ever had a visible truss rod in the neck pickup cavity.

QuattroSte said:
No marks or anything but the fretboard was quite dirty.
So that "scratch" on the back was only a reflection?

Anyway, there are no defining marks on it to let me know it is a 200 model other than the registration card.
Well, is there any reason not to believe that, like a different serial number or something similar?

Does anyone have specs on the 2000 LS 200 model?
Like Paladin said, he has a similar model.

Just received a shipment from Tokai.
There is included as well a LS200
QuattroSte, if I can help you, let me know

Thanks all.

Paladin. Its exactly as you described and that Ebony fretboard is just sublime. The number 8 is in the neck cavity but I didn't take out the bridge pup. Next string change I'll have a look.

Hans, No scratches at all. It was just reflection.
Togps, thank for the offer!

All in all I love this guitar. Its a lot lighter than my LS50(now sold) but I'd reckon the best part of a kg lighter. Unplugged and plugged the 200 sounded much better and more resonant. The top is beautiful. Its not overly flamed and the grain is very prominant. The neck is thinner than the LS50 aswell. Its similar to my ES100. I'm not a fan of the chunky neck profile so it's great. All my other guitars are going to gather dust for a while!! :lol:

gorgous loverock
somethin is writen on the tenon what is it , looks like vf for vilon finish

Agreed, gorgeous. Unusual to see one with the pickguard too.

The neck tenon looks different to mine (pity Dana isn't still on the board, his serial # was 3 away from mine), must post some pics and work out what's up with it.

But that's definately a 200

the fretboard was quite dirty. I cleaned it with a soft cloth and some Lem oil. (Don't go mad now it made it a lot better)

Top of the ls-200 checklist would be the ebony fretboard

I'm not sure about cleaning ebony fretboards with lemon oil. Ebony wood is somehow oily and you can dry the wood on the long term.

I'm going to start a new thread on this topic :)

ganzua said:
the fretboard was quite dirty. I cleaned it with a soft cloth and some Lem oil. (Don't go mad now it made it a lot better)

Top of the ls-200 checklist would be the ebony fretboard

I'm not sure about cleaning ebony fretboards with lemon oil. Ebony wood is somehow oily and you can dry the wood on the long term.

I'm going to start a new thread on this topic :)

I wouldn't normally clean an ebony fretboard with Lem oil it's just that it was quite grubby. It came up very well and I usually wipe it down after each session so my guitars stay pretty clean!

Deadman said:
Can I just ask how you rate your Laney Ste?

Is it a VC30?

that should do it...with respect to laneys...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1191197

Deadman said:
Can I just ask how you rate your Laney Ste?

Is it a VC30?

Let me tell you a little story about the Laney. I put it up for sale to fund the LS200 and had a buyer organised. The morning I was supposed to meet him I decided to have my last fling with the Laney. 1/2 hour later I rang him and told him I couldn't sell it. :wink:

Its a LC30 with 4 preamp valves and 4 output valves. It very loud for 30 watts and I rate it highly. I have had a few amps but this is my first valve amp. Obviously I have not compared to many other valve amps but for the ?400 I paid for it I couldn't be happier.

Cool. I reckon they're fantasic value for money then Ste.

Thanks for the link math. I enjoyed reading most of that, although there are a few daft kids on there, huh?

Actually, I've been wondering. What exactly is the difference between the LC and VC range???

Deadman said:
Cool. I reckon they're fantasic value for money then Ste.

Thanks for the link math. I enjoyed reading most of that, although there are a few daft kids on there, huh?

Actually, I've been wondering. What exactly is the difference between the LC and VC range???

VC : 2 gain stages, more AC30 tone, less gain than LC, shared EQ.
LC: 3 gain stages, EQ for each channel, better ventilation, better speaker cab.

LC it is then math!

You've got the 112 haven't you? I fancy a 210. They do one I take it?

I'd better go and do some more research! :D

Deadman said:
LC it is then math!

You've got the 112 haven't you? I fancy a 210. They do one I take it?

I'd better go and do some more research! :D

Yes there is only 1x12 in the LC range, which imho is more than enough. I played VC30 2x10" vs LC30 1x12" and i left the shop with the LC30. But you may like the VC30 more, it is a matter of taste.

Latest posts

Back