Tokai RG-40/Rockinbetter!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ebsy

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to these parts, I recently read an article in Guitarist magazine (UK) that had a feature on 'lawsuit' guitars. It also covered Tokai's, up until this point I hadn't even heard of them!.

Anyway, I've always been a massive Beatles fan and I've always wanted a Rickenbacker 325 after a bit of searching around I came across the RG-40...brilliant I thought, a ric copy at a fraction of the price! The only problem is with the RG-40, (as I've found out from these forums and elsewhere), is that they're apparently rarer than rocking horse ****!

I also came across the Johnson 325 copy.
What I basically want to know is, is the RG-40 a half-decent guitar? I realise it's no rickenbacker, but as long as it's decent then I'll continue my search :) Has anyone played the Johnson copies?. How are they?.

I contacted the fretsguitarcentre website about the rockinbetter 325, they told me they'd have some in next month sometime and that the retail price is ?400 :eek: is it just me or are these guitars REALLY worth ?400? if they were under 300 I'd pick one up in a heartbeat but ?400 is a bit steep.

Another question, will a real ric truss rod cover fit the RG-40? obviously I wouldn't do this as it's very very naughty...but it'd be nice to know ;)

Thanks for reading,
Ebsy.

I had a Tokai RG-43, a 330 copy, and it was a nice guitar. The lacquered fingerboard had a bit of an artificial look to it, and I had the older bolt-on neck version, but it was a really nice guitar. For ?259 I reckon it's a steal, although the one in Coda is a 330 copy like mine

Okay here's the deal - I have the RG40 - 12 string version. It couldn't and shouldn't be expected to pass itself off as a true Ric, as it has amongst other things, a conventional in-line peg headstock, and not the 90 deg Ric style. Purists will argue that it should be avoided because of this, in truth it is a breeze to restring (except for the tailstock) and stays in tune very well. It also has excellent pick ups, great neck, low action and can be played all night if necessary. The gloss black finish is flawless, and even if the body is made of plywood as some claim is a head turner. Don't make the mistake of putting the Ric plate on it, Tokai's are far more interesting as they are ie. Tokais.

They may be rare but look!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/tokai-rickenbacker-rg40-electric-guitar_W0QQitemZ7398519789QQcategoryZ112670QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for the replies everyone, most helpful.

Well, I managed to find a shop in England that had an RG-40 tucked away in it's warehouse, it was the only one left and they let me have it for ?249!...It's the set-neck version and says 'Rockinbetter' on the headstock, although the sales guy assured me they are in fact Tokai's. So I'm one happy bunny at the moment. Should be delivered by the end of next week.

I asked fretsguitarcentre if they'd do me a deal on the rockinbetter they had (they wanted the full ?400 for it)...they refused to do me a deal, I'm surprised they sell any guitars at all!. I don't know a single person who's ever paid the full RRP on a guitar, but ah well.

The ebay auction was interesting, unfortunately it looked like ebay deleted it sometime today...looks like Rickenbacker got involved there.

Does anyone know anything about the wiring setup on the RG-40's?.

Thanks,
Ebsy.

With the Tokai Rickies, do they have the same narrow fingerboard? I used to own a Rickie 360, lovely sound but it buzzed like hell and the fingerboard drove me up the wall.

i have a rg43 330 copy and a genuine ric trussrod cover, the screw holes are very cose but not exact so you would have to make slight alterations to holes to make one fit.

Don't change the truss rod cover, Rockinbetter is the coolest "copy" name ever. Knowledgeable guitarists will know what it is, and the public won't care - most punters in a pub have never heard of Rickenbacker anyway. Fender & Gibson, maybe, but that's all.

Mike

I have a black/jet glo RG-40 Set neck. with blend knob. It is really a great guitar. With medium jumbo frets and a fast low action. The pickups sound good too. I can't complain at all about this guitar. I wish I knew when it was made. The guitar was made in Korea and has a serial number of A1502228
I think it is a good copy although it is a solid body. Other than that I have only good things to report about it.

astattoo said:
I have a black/jet glo RG-40 Set neck. with blend knob. It is really a great guitar. With medium jumbo frets and a fast low action. The pickups sound good too. I can't complain at all about this guitar. I wish I knew when it was made. The guitar was made in Korea and has a serial number of A1502228
I think it is a good copy although it is a solid body. Other than that I have only good things to report about it.

I search one ... if for sale - PM !

Latest posts

Back