Can you fit original harware in tokai guitars?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganzua

Reaction score
Lets say I want to replace stock tuners and pots for metal button kluson tuners and black top hat pots. Is it possible?

If you want to retrofit Klusons, you will be able to.

If you want to change the knobs you will be able to, but you'll have to use metric knurled knobs. You can force imperial knobs onto metric if you have to, but it'll be a mess if you take them off again.

Hey! Paladin2019, thanks;

When I talk about replacing pots I mean just the hat, not the whole pot, it is just some esthetic customization :)

I always liked to mod my guitars, I like black top hat pots with silver inserts. Do you mean I have to repleace the whole pot?

ganzua said:
Hey! Paladin2019, thanks;

When I talk about replacing pots I mean just the hat, not the whole pot, it is just some esthetic customization :)

I always liked to mod my guitars, I like black top hat pots with silver inserts. Do you mean I have to repleace the whole pot?

I knew what you meant. :)

The pots have metric knurling, so if you replace the knob you'll need a metric knob. Or, you could replace the whole pot with a USA pot and use a standard knob - however if you do this you *may* have to widen the holes in the body to fit the new pots.

As I said, you can force imperial knobs onto metric pots if you really have to, but I don't recommend it.

I like to customise as well. My guitar has 2 imperial and 2 metric pots, and I have 2 imperial and 2 metric speed knobs to match. :lol:

Hey paladin, thanks again;

The pots have metric knurling, so if you replace the knob you'll need a metric knob.

Gibson's originals are not metric?

Is this the same story with bridges and tailpieces? ie, you need metric bridge/tailpiece/pickup rings etc etc?

Thanks Jim and Paladin :)

Is this the same story with bridges and tailpieces? ie, you need metric bridge/tailpiece/pickup rings etc etc?

Good question, I presume pick ups are standard because some of them are produced by another brands. Tune-o-matic bridge is supposed to be fixed so I don't know and tailpiece no idea.

Tuners (according to Paladin :D ) are standard.

math2014 said:

The screw threads and posts are metric so you need metric bridges, metric bridge posts, metric tailpiece posts and metric tailpiece inserts. However, tailpieces themselves are standard.

Paladin2019 said:
The screw threads and posts are metric so you need metric bridges, metric bridge posts, metric tailpiece posts and metric tailpiece inserts. However, tailpieces themselves are standard.

Is every single screw of these guitars metric? Is there any problem when replacing pick ups or with the screws of tuners as well?

ganzua said:
Is every single screw of these guitars metric? Is there any problem when replacing pick ups or with the screws of tuners as well?

No.

Pickups are standard, wood screws don't matter either way.

Paladin2019 said:
Pickups are standard, wood screws don't matter either way.

If the screw bigger is there any risk of cracking the wood?

I made I list, I hope I'm not missing anything;

Tuners -> ok

Pick Ups -> ok
Pickup Cover -> ok
Pickup Mounting Rings-> ok

Knobs and pot-> metric in tokais, imperial in gibsons
Toggle Switch -> ?
Switchwaser -> ?

Bridge -> you need metric bridges, metric bridge posts
Tailpiece -> you need metric tailpiece posts and metric tailpiece inserts

Pickguard -> I read in other post that gibson's pickguards do not fit
Jack Plate -> ?

Strap Buttons-> presume the screw must be metric
Truss Rod Cover-> same as above

By the way, do you know if stock pots are 300K?

ganzua said:
If the screw bigger is there any risk of cracking the wood?

The difference is so small that it can be ignored. There is no risk.

Stock pots are 500k, as they should be.

ganzua said:
I made I list, I hope I'm not missing anything;

Toggle Switch -> ?

*** Gibson uses a washer insert on their models. You can use a Switchcraft USA switch on tokais, but it has to be the long threaded version. Allparts part EP 000 67, I think (from memory). Switchcaft make the best switches, it's a good idea to install these as standard.

Switchwaser -> ?

***This is glued on so it makes no difference - you're stuck with it unless you want to risk damaging the finish. A gibson one probably wouldn't fit anyway as they have a wide hole to accomodate their switch washer inserts.

Jack Plate -> ?

***Unsure, but probably makes no difference.

Strap Buttons-> presume the screw must be metric
Truss Rod Cover-> same as above

***Makes no difference. However, Gibson truss rod covers won't fit modern tokais unless you fill and re-drill one of the holes.

The metric/imperial thing is not a generally problem except when you're dealing with pots, knobs and bridge hardware. You'd probably get laughed at if you went into a hardware store and asked for metric screws.

How many changes are you planning to make?

If anyone with more experience on metric VS imperial wants to correct me, feel free... this stuff isn't definitive.

Thanks again Paladin!

How many changes are you planning to make?

First of all I have to live sometime with the guitar, but almost for sure I'll be replacing pick ups for Burstbuckers 1 & 2 (my favourite pups :) ) and tuners for vintage metal klusons -> http://www.wdmusic.com/3_on_side_kluson_tuners_24879_prd1.htm

Not sure about 500k pots and Burstbuckers 1 & 2.

If I really like the guitar I'll make further modding.

If you're putting a screw into wood, it makes little difference if it's metric or imperial - it will thread itself into the wood no problem. The challenge is when it's a machine screw made to fit into a metal insert with specific threading, such as tailpiece studs. If I remember correctly, I kept my original Tokai studs when I replaced the tailpiece with a lightweight one - it slipped on without any problem. The Tokai ABR bridge always bugged me, because the saddles didn't line the strings up with the polepieces, so I changed that from chrome to a nickel one (bought it from a parts box at a vintage guitar show, so I don't know what brand it was. It did not fit over the original spacing, so I pulled the posts and thumbwheels, filled the holes with maple and carefully redrilled a hair wider, re-using the Tokai posts and wheels for the new bridge).

I replaced the original gold tophat knobs with Allparts one - again, no problem pushing the new stuff on.

Oh yeah, I should mention this was done on an '84 Loverock, so I don't know what kind of hardware the new ones use - but I'm a big believer in "to every problem, there is a solution".

Hey Novosel;

Very helpful!

I replaced the original gold tophat knobs with Allparts one - again, no problem pushing the new stuff on.

Did you have to force the hat onto the pot?

The new hat pushed down over the pot shaft with exactly the same pressure as pushing on the old ones - snug. I think almost all these repro knobs are virtually identical. In fact, I bought a set of original 50's ones for my Gibson Les Paul, and they fit the same way.

Back