Tokai LoveRock II, anyone?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko A

Reaction score
Any experiences of this guitar? I?d really like to hear some comments. It looks quite neat to me and coiltapped pickups sound a good idea. Shape looks like 335, but smaller. All the comments are welcome. And especially, how much did you have to pay for it if you got one? Tokai-guitars.co.uk says the RRP is 799? which sounds quite expensive, so it must be good guitar, right?

loverock2.jpg

I've tried one and it was really nice. The price in Sweden was a bit high though, 14500 SEK. I was thinking of importing one from japan but I couldn't find one at that time (it was a few years ago).

Mike

Good post Marko! I'm surprised that this guitar hasn't had more coverage. I think it looks superb. It also doesn't appear to have a Gibson equivalent unless you count the 356. However, this is a Tokai guitar which has its own identity. Surely we can leave the Love Rocks alone for a wee while to consider what looks like a beautiful guitar.

I really like this guitar - I'm hoping to get one later this year so I'm also interested in opinions and the like.

Am I right in thinking that they have a solid maple top and not a veneer. The review on the SEB model was great - is the SEB body standard or an option?

bruceboomstick said:
Am I right in thinking that they have a solid maple top and not a veneer. The review on the SEB model was great - is the SEB body standard or an option?
The SEB version had a veneer with at least three plain maple parts underneath, so I would guess the normal version is constructed the same way. On the other hand the UK site says "one-piece top", so you would have to ask them. And the SEB body is an option, not the standard. There should be some older models available in the UK, because it was already introduced around 2003.

When I tested that model, I couldn't record it, but the pickups are the same that I got for the humbucker review from togps, so the samples there should give you an idea how they sound.

The love rock 2 is a superb instrument and certainly worth the ?700 i paid for mine,if anyone remembers the wonderful yamaha msg from the late 80's the love rock 2 is identical in body shape to that ie a scaled down 335 shape blended with les paul construction.the range of sounds that can be wrung from this little beauty is amazing with both pick ups coil tapped and the 3 way switch versatile is an understatement.what a gorgeous flame maple top as well worthy of any gibbo,i would reccomend any les paul players out there who are getting numb shoulder syndrome to give one of these a blast,i shifted from my 77 les paul deluxe gold top to the tokai and was amazed! i also aquired a ES120 flame top in cherry and what a guitar, my mate compared it back to back with his gibson 335 and was nearly sick with rage at how good the tokai was ie every bit as good as the gibson! when i told him i got it for ?500 with a gator case he chased me from his house!!

the lr 2 has two coil taps push pull pots on both volume and tone controls slightly clunky in operation but effective.why are'nt more people using these fine instruments?

The SEB version had a veneer with at least three plain maple parts underneath, so I would guess the normal version is constructed the same way

Thanks Hans - I've re-read your excellent review again and and it's answered many questions.

I'm really impressed with the spec and design of the LR II - I have a feeling that we'll all be talking about these guitars in 20 years time.

Unfortunately for me I can't get my hands on one until later in the year - it'll be worth the wait I'm sure.

Thanks Chris

Reidys are pretty good and have a nice selection - i got my LS70F from them just after xmas.

All that's stopping me right now is that I have to save some cash and convince the wife (the saving bit is easy...............).

Latest posts

Back