Tokai Pickup (Tradition)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko A

Reaction score
I?m looking for information of Tokai humbucker pickup, just curious. I removed chrome covers of Tokai paf-copies from 90?s and what I found get me interested. I?ve opened Tokai pickups before but never saw this before.
Pickup had nice zebra coloured bobbins, black and white. Well, that?s normal, but on the black bobbin of neck pickup was printed nice white text "Tradition". Any ideas what is this, or is it just normal. I?m sorry, but I don?t know exact model/year where these pickups came from.

Here?s a pic. It?s still waxed, but you can see the text. It looks quite neat to me, what do you think?

tokaipup004edited6zm.jpg

Also the metal baseplate looks like it?s brass, though I?ve seen others like that. But it?s made of different metal than on my ?85 LS60:

dscf00028qy.jpg

You didn't mention if they come from a MIK Love Rock perhaps? Then they might be the usual PAF-Vintage MK4 which I haven't seen either yet.

The problem is that I don?t know the model. These came with other brand guitar, and the seller told me they?re from Tokai LP from 90?s. That was he?s previous guitar and I don?t see any reason to doubt that.
Not that they?re any special. I just got interested, because I?m giving them away and keep those covers only. They sound pretty much the same as original pickups of my previous LS70 ?95. Okay, but maybe little on the muddy side. Maybe.

8,82k Rear and 8,6k Front.
Those look quite normal Tokai values to me. I?ve measured
few of them and I?ve had ?57PAF?s MK1 / MK2 /MK4?s.
On my ?85 LS they are 8,5k-R and 8,1k-F.

Right, my 1984 '57 are the same, and thanks for measuring. It's interesting to know that the the MK4 models also have the same resistance.

Btw, these "Tradition" pickups were totally full of wax, compared to others. For example ?85 pup?s had wax barely at all.

Back