Just bought first Tokai, opinions?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micky

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a new member, just bought my first Tokai. I haven't even recieved it yet but I'm really excited. I need a bit of help though, here's the link,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOKAI-Gibson-Les-Paul-Love-Rock-AAA-Quilt-Hiscox_W0QQitemZ7341914659QQcategoryZ112670QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

My main question is what colour is it? I don't think 'Toffee Burst' is a real name for a colour. Can anyone out there tell what model it is from the photos? I presume its an ls-75q but if anyone will know it'll be you guys. I have to thank everyone here for their previous posts (esp Mike Martin) because you all helped me decide to buy a Tokai. Thanks for any replies and help

Another Irishman joins the Tokai club. They are catching on over here. Nice guitar Micky but I don't know which model. Congratulations.

micky, it looks almost identical to mine, which is herritage dark cherry, it will tell you in the pickup cavity i mentiond in my emails it will probably say HDC. ALSO SOMEWHERE IT WILL SAY 75 or whatever model it is . my model number was in the bridge p/u cavity writen in pencil under the laquer, usually they are in the neck cavity.any way just you enjoy you axe :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sometimes pictures in full sunlight (or with a flash) can fool you, because they enhance the red parts more than indirect daylight. So I would also think it's violin finish, but Heritage Dark Cherry is also possible. And your guess of the model number is probably correct, as there have been quite a lot of LS75Q models in the UK around that time. So the headstock will probably have that extra mod to it, too.

Thanks guys, I'm kind of hoping it's a HDC but I think it's probably violin too. It will be with me on Mon or Tue so I can't wait. I'll let you know how she plays!

In the meantime I can show you the difference between a flash and a neon light picture of my LS120 which I scanned just yesterday.

ls120_flash.jpg

ls120+ls60.jpg

The last picture taken under neon light without additional flash actually shows the colors of the guitars better, because that's how they look in our rehearsal room.

Hans,

What are those pickup's? Humbucker-sized P90's?

How do they sound?

ScottA said:
What are those pickup's? Humbucker-sized P90's?
How do they sound?
Yes, Gibson P-94 which I really like. I think they sound quite close to original P-90s, although I don't have a Les Paul with real ones to compare with, only know and love the sound from records, e.g. by Les Dudek. There was a thread over at the LPF recently by someone comparing all available humbucker-sized P-90s who also classified them as being close to the original sound.

I'm still comparing different bridge humbuckers in my LS120, but the neck P-94 always stays in so that I have a constant reference how the sound changes. It's a very nice mixture of enhanced mids with lots of rich harmonic overtones and bass response (probably due to the Alnico V magnet) combined with the overall clarity of a Strat single coil, so the bass range isn't muddy, but tight and full. So I also might end up simply reinstalling the bridge P-04 and just be happy with it.

tokaicharlie said:
Nice Quilt top dude
Thanks, I also describe it as a mixture of flamed and quilted maple sometimes, but actually at that time (1981) Tokai didn't offer the typical quilted maple tops they offer now. The available colors in the catalogs don't include tobacco sunburst which was what the first owner told me. But maybe he just used the name of the finish on his Gibson Heritage to describe it. I think in Tokai terms it's either brown sunburst (BS) or old sunburst (OS), and being nitro lacquer it has faded in 24 years, too.

Latest posts

Back