Parts for the Love Rock

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jedisteph

Reaction score
I have the LR since 1985 and It fell of my strap and broke the head. I got it fixed it has been fine since. Recently my 3 yr old son knocked it off the stand and re-broke it. Got it fixed and was told it might not hold, and if it broke again it could not be fixed again. Well my cats have knocked it over and it broke again. I was told that replacing the neck is not a good option but I would like to try it myself. It there a place to get new neck parts? and instructions on how to replace it? Figure this forum would be a good place to start.

Steph Carrier

Firstly sorry to hear about your unfortunate guitar, I know how it feels, I have had 2 accoustics knocked off stands by my 2 cats when fighting, I now hang them on my walls.

In terms of doing this, a skilled luthier would probably use up most of his skills and tools.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bodies,_necks,_wood/Electric_guitar:_Necks.html

places like Steward Mac's in US will sell you a whole new neck, but you will have to seperate the neck from the body via heating it, and to find an exact fit neck you would probably have to buy one with an oversized tenon that you could cut to your needs, you would then need to replace it and finish it all etc. All this cost and time could well be better placed on a complete replacement guitar ??

Just my oppinion, after attempting numerous restore jobs and finding parts and cost to rise all the time.

Good luck if you take on this work yourself.

That is a most noble and daunting undertaking. If I wanted truly professional and flawless results, I'd seek out out a recommended luthier; but if I was willing to accept possibly less than perfection, I'd be tempted to give it a shot myself. You could buy a replacement Les Paul-style neck (and the upside is you could profile it to your own personal specs), but I'd try to re-use the Tokai fretboard if its still salvageable - they use such choice rosewood (maybe even Brazilian?).

There are so many steps involved (neck removal, fretboard removal, alignment, headstock veneer, logo inlay, binding, refinishing, and on and on) that it almost becomes overwhelming to novices like you and I. I bought a cheap 60's Harmony acoustic at a garage sale to pratice neck/tenon removal - haven't tried it yet though. Seek out Dan Erlewine's books. And may the force be with you - but not too much force! :wink:

Sorry for the late response been away. Thanks for the advice, I was thinking that replacement is a better way but this was my first guitar so I think i want to fix it, even if it is just to hang on the wall.

Steph

Try Galloup guitars in Big Rapids Michigan - they had repaired a 60's P Bass whileI i was there for fretting classes and you couldn't tell - always keep your guitars in their cases, it's better for them from a dust and temperature/humidity standpoint. Or get a fish !!!

[quote="mgdew" I have had 2 accoustics knocked off stands by my 2 cats when fighting, I now hang them on my walls.

Would that be the cats or the guitars??

Ha ha - It's quite tragic how some of these things happen, years ago my AC30 was lying face up in the van, along came our bas player and set two mic bases straight down on the speakers - they went through the fretting but somehow didn't puncture the speakers. It was repairable, basically everything is repairable at a price.

vaporboy said:
It was repairable, basically everything is repairable at a price.

Indeed, I know a guy who's broken his early 70's LP deluxe neck at least four times. Still sounds and looks great!

I'd either get a second opinion on the neck fix (even if it turns out you can only use the guitar for decoration), or go for a new guitar. It'll never be the same anyway if you give it a new neck, and probably cost an insane amount of money - you have to sort out the binding, finishing, alignment, the set neck AND you have to get the old one out!

I'd definately consider this to be a difficult and costly job even for an experienced professional. There's no way in hell you'd get a good result if you did it yourself as a first time project. No way in hell.

Latest posts

Back