Tokai ES-120 v. Gib. Standard ES-335 v. Gibson Historic 335

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPH

Reaction score
Not so much a "which is better" post. I'm just trying to sort out the difference between them. How would you describe an es-120 compared to the Gibson counterparts.

Particularly for me, which gibson is the es-120 based on? Neck thickness & shape? PU tones?

I've just recieved an ES100, purchased off e-bay from Japan.

I think both the ES100 and ES120 are based on a '59 335, so the neck is chunky and wide.

The quality of craftmanship is very impressive. I've played on a few
new 335's in Sound Control's warehouse in Manchester. But the Tokai's beat them hands down, and they're more realistically priced too !!

The Tokai's 335 copies are probably more rare than real Gibson's

Chair.jpg

P10109271.jpg

This lil beauty now hangs out with my other Tokai's

P1010232.jpg

Has anyone ever met a Tokai ES model with a '65 thin neck, probably with block inlays? Here you can find more infos about the original Gibson versions:

http://www.provide.net/~cfh/gibson4.html#es335

I own a Luxor copy of that model in cherry red, another very nice Japanese guitar company or probably simply a trade mark (maybe only available in Germany in the late '70ies). And I once played a blonde Tokai ES 335 copy in a guitar shop which was very good, too, but more expensive than my LS 60 at that time. I can't remember its neck shape though.

Hans,I've seen a ES-180 block inlays at a shop in Japan,this is a very odd model,(not in any Catalogue)a special run for that chain maybe.I suspect it being a slim taper neck,but not sure.

luis said:
Hans,I've seen a ES-180 block inlays at a shop in Japan,this is a very odd model,(not in any Catalogue)a special run for that chain maybe.I suspect it being a slim taper neck,but not sure.
Thanks for the information, it also seems that the neck shape has changed from thick to thin and back to thick at least twice on the original Gibson ES 335 models (see the link posted).

I recently bought an ES 100 in cherry red and although I don't have a thick neck guitar to compare it too I find the neck to be very thin. I don't like thick necks(most fender Strats I have tried) but this guitar is a pleasure to play.

QuattroSte said:
I recently bought an ES 100 in cherry red and although I don't have a thick neck guitar to compare it too I find the neck to be very thin.
Interesting, do you have a picture of it perhaps? How much did you pay for it?

Hans-Jurgen

There is an ES120 on e-bay uk having met it's reserve price at ?300

It's well worth a bid !

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7321937334

chrisheyes said:
There is an ES120 on e-bay uk having met it's reserve price at ?300
It's well worth a bid !
Thanks for the tip, it will be interesting to follow that auction and for how much it will be sold in the end. But I guess I'm not an eBay buyer at all and rather want to play a guitar before thinking about or even buying it. :-?

Furthermore I still have that Luxor ES 335 copy that due to my own dumbness had a broken headstock 20 years ago which I repaired back then, but didn't have the nerve to assemble it again until now. I need some hardware parts, too, because I used them for a Luxor SG copy of a hardrock singer who wanted to upgrade his guitar.

Anyhow, that brand new Tokai ES looks great, just like the one I once tested. This "natural" finish had been abandoned by Gibson in 1961, and the longer pickguard even in late 1960, so this is probably a copy of the '58, '59 or early '60 dot model with a thick neck.

Hans-j?rgen.

I paid 1160 euro for the ES100 new. I have a picture of it but I don't have it on the web for viewing.

That ES120 is a fantastic deal with a reserve as low as ?310. You could get a great guitar for very very little.

QuattroSte said:
I paid 1160 euro for the ES100 new. I have a picture of it but I don't have it on the web for viewing.
Thanks for answering! Forgot to ask: what tailpiece does your cherry red one have? If it's a copy of the '65 model, it should have a trapeze tailpiece, not a stop tailpiece.

hans-j?rgen,

I think its a stop tailpiece. Its the very same tailpiece, in fact its the very same guitar as the ES 120 for sale above except for the flamed maple top on the 120.

Here is one with block inlays:

http://www.jvguitars.com/showproduct.pl?id=1096937577

Chris, your Tokai wall looks nice - what model is the Sunbust 'Paul and could you post some close-up shots of it?
Cheers,
Mike.

I'm the bloke that won the auction! just was lurking here having googled this site- saw the pointer to the auction, and made a bid.

new they seem to start about ?830 mail order, so as long as it's not a dud should be a reasonable deal.

I've got a gibson es-295, play jazz, but tends to feed back- so wanted a sem-solid guitar

will report when it's in my hands....

John

Latest posts

Back