ES-120 Owners!! Help needed!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WK

Reaction score
Hi people,

I've just bought an ES-120 vintage sunburst today. I need some help in identifying if it is a Korean made model or Japan made model.

It came with a hard case with a metal tag "Reborn old Tokai Electric guitar Tokai Gakki Co Ltd"

The guitar has flame top and sides

What made me suspicious was that no serial number was printed on the back of the headstok of the guitar but there was a piece of paper in side the guitar which can be seen from the f-hole. It states Style: ES120 SB, Number: 0408763. It has 2 screw on it's truss rod cover.

It also came with a warrenty card. But the knobs are clear black plastics.

Does Korea manufacture ES-120? I've read in the forum that Korean model's serial no starts with 04. Is that true? Is there any way to tell it's origin?

Sorry for the list of question guys but I hope you people can help me out.

Thanks!

Korea does not make an ES-120, to the best of my knowledge. In Tokai speak, the 120 designation means 120,000 Yen, and I doubt that the Korean guitars are fetching that much.

The Korean "335" is the ES-60.

Thanks for the help guys.

I just felt strange that for such a quality guitar, the serial number was not impressed on the guitar itself but just on a piece of paper pasted on it.
It's kinda sad if you know what I mean.

Anyways I'm very happy with the guitar esp the built. Very nice and even finish. Nice flame also. Tone wise I can't comment yet as did not spend much time plugged in.

Any pickup recommendations if I were to change?

Play it for a while before you decide on changing the pickups. You may not want to!! I have a ES 100 (new). It has "Made in Japan" printed on the top of the neck but I can't remember if there is a serial number. I'll have a look and get back to you. Beautiful guitar and I hope you enjoy it!

Ste.

Thanks Ste.

The back of my headstok was painted black and I'm quite sure nothing's printed there.

WK. The only seriel number on the guitar is on the sticker in the f hole. Other than that its the "Made in Japan" as mentioned above.

Mine is the same. Two screws in the truss rod cover, 'made in japan' on the headstock, and paper with serial number inside the f-hole.
Quattroste - what colour is yours? Mines Sunburst but I'd love to see a pic if yours is something different?

Grassy, I have the ES100 in red. I don't have a good picture of it and it is gone in to have the nut done. The nut on it was really badly made. Every other part of the guitar is perfect and then they put this crappy nut on it!! Seems a bit strange to me. When it comes back I post some pics.

Sorry Dr Fene but I don't know enough to answer your question. As far as I know the only difference between the 100 and the 120 is the Quilted or Flamed Maple arched top that comes on the 120. I have heard of nuts being a problem on Tokai's before.

Hey thanks anyway, I have an ES 100 natuaral and was recently informed that the finish on the 100 was Poly. I have emailed Tokai UK but had no reply.
Personally I believe both are nitro.

Latest posts

Back