Anyone loving their (stock) Korean Love Rocks

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

protoangel

Reaction score
Thanks ned, whitehall and others for pointing me here!

Cursory glance:

They look lovely... Not yet tried one out. AND they're going for an absurdly low price in the UK!

Q about the wood:

Back = Alder, apparently... Which models have mahogany? I guess not the cheaper ones!!

Top = Maple with flame sycamore veneer... Or is it non-descript laminate?

The guy in the shop said it was spruce (?)

How do you describe the tone with stock parts? Fat clear and expensive? or just "Whaddaya expect for ?350"

Did anyone replace p/ups and switches and pots to get it sounding great, or do you just need to change the p/ups

I have a TKM model (whatever that means), definitely Korean & about 4 years old. It is my favorite guitar, and has a hard life being used in a gigging band. It is completely stock, and apart from some fret wear is in great shape. I also have a Shergold Masquerador (unusual Brit guitar), Agile 3000 Gold top P90 (also a very nice guitar). I've read a lot of put downs about Korean Tokai's but can find no build flaws, the neck & action are perfect. I paid a measly $400 for it, thinking that if it got lost or stolen, it wouldn't be the end of the world - in reality, I'd be mortified if anything happened to it, as it is my #1 guitar !!

Cool!

Thanks for that encouraging reply!

So, good tuning stability, no nasty microphonics, no dodgy tone, and no hardware probs.

A good start!

here in the states they're in the 525-580 range new with shipping. If that's your budget I think you'll be pleased. I put burstbuckers in the goldtop I bought and it really woke it up. However, if you can spend 850 that LS90 from Japan is an incredible guitar for the money.

No, none of the above - I run .010 to .046 D'Addarios (best strings in the World IMHO) and it stays in tune (so does the Agile for that matter). The only niggling problem is that the jack nut loosens sometimes, but that's about it. Even the authentic tulip tuners work well, considering it gets played hard every week and has done for the last 4 years, it is a very robust guitar, and still looks very nice. I don't know how long the Gibson headstock will be around for, if you find one at the right price I would pick it up - I may even try to find a second one in case something happens to the first one.

Latest posts

Back